cb radio

dr pepper

Featured Posts

Hi chaps,

does anyone still have and use a cb radio, I have been interested in cb for a while, there are a few of us on the lancaster that have rigs and talk to each other.

cheap hand held pmr446 seemed to have taken over, only by comparison they are useless, my standard legal cb gets 25 miles or more reliably instead of 200 meters.

I have 2 brand new CBs, one a midland handheld, and a Car type.

I thought (still do) that they'd be ideal for ship to lockwheeler / tender "chatter" but have not got round to fitting the 12V one to the boat yet. maybe in the spring.

Well, with CB being licence free these days, why not get it done? It costs nuffink now... :lol:

Hi chaps,

does anyone still have and use a cb radio, I have been interested in cb for a while, there are a few of us on the lancaster that have rigs and talk to each other.

cheap hand held pmr446 seemed to have taken over, only by comparison they are useless, my standard legal cb gets 25 miles or more reliably instead of 200 meters.

THIS thread may be of interest.

I had a cb in the 80's as a teenager, actually I still have my old Murphy homebase somewhere. More recently bought a maycom rig for the car but it's not as good as the "good ol' days".

Hi chaps,

Hey, I used to be on the Lanky and used the CB mainly in the boat club, but not used it much since. Still have home based and car set ups but only time I hear anyone on is last time I drove through Manchester, it was still buzzing down there.

When I still had the boat we went to the National IWA rally at Preston Brook and you could hear/speak to loads in Manchester then too.

Looks like it's a city/ canal thing now.

I am an advanced licence Radio Amateur and 2metres is bzzing most of the time, use it a lot, and you can get a foundation licence for a weekend course which allows you 10 watts and SSB/FM etc (all modes) and most bands right down tyo Short Wave (talk to the world). If you like radio, that's the way forward; radios are cheap too, I bought a second hand 2metre set off e-bay for about £30 or they are about £99 new. On 2 metres through repeaters you can talk maybe 100 miles or so on very little power or direct perhaps 50 odd miles; much better than CB anyway; and on Short Wave you can talk all over Europe pretty much all the time and sometimes further dependant on conditions. Short Wave sets can be picked up for under £200 second hand or about £400 odd new.

It's good stuff; use it a lot more now I dont have the boat, but used to have it on the boat which was good to experience contacts from different locations.

to be honest its a new (to me) boat and I can't bring myself to drill holes in it.

I use a 'Saturn 5' antenna which is about 2'6 - 3' long and about 1" dia black powdercoated home base antenna, internally groundplaned and self swring, ideal for grp. Couple of tool clips fix it to the transom and it doubles as a stern pole to fly your red ensign from. It's clped on so if you get tengled in low trees it pops off but is still attached by the wire so you don't loose it.

I just had a DV27 on a ground plane on the boat, with the rear corner where the car body would ordinarily be; the ground plane then inside the boat. It worked well enough and with a 7MHz whip on I got Glasgow on 7Mhz from Galgate no problem once.

Hi,

I'm new and reading this thread thought (another Radio Amateur - licenced in the 70's) I'd make the offer for anyone who lives within reach of Tamworth to put on a Radio Amateur's Foundation licence course for any boaters who might be interested in gaining their licence. I'm one of four instructors in our club and we regularly put on training.

The Amataeur Radio licence is free once you've passed the exam/s, the only cost being the examination itself (well, we don't charge for the course, not sure about all places).

If anyone is interested, even if you live in a place where you can't make tamworth, give me a shout and I'll put you in touch with a local course.

Thanks,

V

Edited by vicvdb

If anyone is interested, even if you live in a place where you can't make tamworth, give me a shout and I'll put you in touch with a local course.

Vic

Thanks for the offer. I would be interested, though Tamworth is a little bit of a jaunt. If you do know of any in the North Oxfordshire area that would be handy.

Best wishes, Graham.