River Weaver to Ellesmere Port

Liam

Featured Posts

For our jollies this year we're planning on a run out to Chester and Ellesmere Port. To make the trip more exciting, and to give us another route back which differs from the way we went out originally, we're thinking of a detour. I'm not quite sure which way to do it yet, as in the Weaver first and then come back along the Shroppie and Trent & Mersey or drop down from Ellesmere Port onto the ship canal.

Has anybody done this run? I'm looking for an idea on time between the Weaver and Ellesmere Port, including cost (1 lock I beleive?) and any other requirements (safety, mainly). There will be two boats, each of them being 50ft.

Edited to add: I did email Mike Webb last week, but as yet have not had a reply.

Cheers

Liam.

Edited by Liam

We "did" the MSC in 2000 on Copperkins and although we have the Admiralty charts here, they don't seem to show distances but they do show that there are no locks between Ellesmere Port and the Weaver. I seem to remember that the trip took about 3-4 hours but at times we did go very slowly :-) We did it as part of an IWA cruise and that made things easier but we still had to get a Certificate of Seaworthiness for the boat, have long enough ropes on board, have life jackets and have charts etc . It was, I seem to remember, quite expensive by the time we paid to go on the MSC and have the survey to get the certificate (a BSS is not enough). The MSC don't encourage narrow boats on the MSC, I gather! A very interesting trip but having done it once, I have no burning desire to do it again. Some canals, like the Leeds and Liverpool, I could go back to again and again but the MSC didn't have the same appeal to me.

haggis

For our jollies this year we're planning on a run out to Chester and Ellesmere Port. To make the trip more exciting, and to give us another route back which differs from the way we went out originally, we're thinking of a detour. I'm not quite sure which way to do it yet, as in the Weaver first and then come back along the Shroppie and Trent & Mersey or drop down from Ellesmere Port onto the ship canal.

Has anybody done this run? I'm looking for an idea on time between the Weaver and Ellesmere Port, including cost (1 lock I beleive?) and any other requirements (safety, mainly). There will be two boats, each of them being 50ft.

Edited to add: I did email Mike Webb last week, but as yet have not had a reply.

Cheers

Liam.

If you have not got a Certificate Of Seaworthiness Jalsea Marine will come out in the vicinity an do you one while you wait and process the MSCC form. On one of out improptu visits to the MSC they came out to Anderton and were reasonable on cost. We had more trouble with BW opening the decrepit Weston Marsh Lock. Yes you are right about the one lock mimimum cost...what ever that is now! Mike Webb only handles the Upper Reaches and Pomona Lock. This is impoprtant to know if you are doing a trip right through, as you have to book Pomona seperately through Mike, even though you can pay for thr whole passage through the MSCC at Eastham. Last time through Mike was sad that we were not stopping at Salford Quays, as at the time I think they thought they needed a bit of colour on the wharves!

From the TNC archives...

MANCHESTER SHIP CANAL

Manchester Ship Canal Company

Marine Operations

Administration Building

Queen Elizabeth II Dock

Eastham

Wirral

Merseyside

CH62 0BB

Mr Carr 0151 327 1461

Navigation Conditions:

Certificate Of Seaworthiness

Adequate anchor and cable

Two warps of at least 50ft. (We recommend 100ft)

Navigation Lights (waived for pleasure craft as they will not be able to navigate in the dark.)

2 fire extinguishers

Sufficient life saving apparatus

Admiralty Chart of Ship Canal AND surrounding waters (last bit waived if not going out on Mersey)

Copy of Company’s Bye-Laws (given upon initial application)

Current tidal almanac (waived if not going out at Eastham)

Person in charge must be over 21 years old

48 hours notice in writing required

There are local boatyards and surveyors in the area that can examine your boat and issue the “Certificate Of Seaworthiness” necessary to navigate the Ship Canal.

Jalsea Marine

Weaver Shipyard

Off Darwin Street

Northwich

Cheshire

CW8 1LB

01606 77870

Will come out to your boat, if in the vicinity, and issue the Certificate Of Seaworthiness and handle the MSCC paperwork for you.

Latchford Locks 01925 635249 controls the canal above Old Quay Swing Bridge to just above Mode Wheel Locks

VHF channel 14 listening watch, after contact continue communication on channel 20

In 2003 the first section from Manchester to Ellesmere Port cost £82.50 and the section from Ellesmere Port to Eastham, £33.00. The charging is worked out on £16.50 per lock +£16.50, i.e. even the lockless passage from the Weaver to Ellesmere Port incurs a charge.

Ellesmere Port Lower Basin and the swing bridge by the Holiday Inn are operated by Ellesmere Port Borough Council. 24 hours notice is needed for its opening.

Contact Barry Smalley or Darrell Smith 0151 356 6561

General Number 0151 356 6789

Currently no charge

Mooring in the Middle Basin is controlled by the Ellesmere Port Boat Museum. A ticket for the museum for each adult crewmember entitles you to moor there for 7 days. There is limited mooring.

The Ellesmere Port Boat Museum

South Pier Road

Ellesmere Port

Cheshire

CH65 4FW

0151 355 5017

Hi Liam.

I did the MSC from Ellesmere Port to Manchester, but a long time ago.. At that time to do the trip alone was a very expensive business, I was part of a convoy which was organised as part of the National Rally when it was held in Manchester in the early eighties so many concessions were allowed for us including the waiving the extra survey which I believe the MASC still insist on..

At first sight that list of requirements that Neil has posted seemed excessive but when on the waterway it immediately becomes apparent that most or all are in place for good reason, for one thing there are no towpaths of any kind and the masonry banks on both sides would probably prevent any kind of mooring or even alighting, there are no emergency services of any kind, so you are very much 'on your own' to a greater extent than on any other waterway in this country.

The locks of course are heavily manned and there is no provision for self mooring, you are totally Dependant on the bank staff.. When I did the trip the upper reaches of the canal were very much under the threat of closure so our motives reflected a bit of pioneering spirit.. For all this I enjoyed the experience as I am sure you will too, about seven hours if I remember.

Thanks for the replies so far...

Although we're actually closer to Pamona at the moment we're thinking of heading south initially, onto the River Weaver, and then past Frodsham way and onto the Ship Canal there. The short trip between the Weaver mouth and Ellesmere Port canal basin could be done in a couple of hours I beleive? We'd only be going the one way too, coming back down the Shroppie and back along the Trent & Mersey.

I emailed Jalsea Marine late last night to find out about the certification needed but I will most likely speak to them on the phone at lunch time.

As it's such a short trip, alighting wouldn't really be that much of a problem, but definately something to keep in mind considering both boats will have a dog onboard, one quite elderly.

We have the life rings, life jackets, fire extinguishers, 100ft (of more) lengths of rope, mobile phones, the relevant anchor, navigation lights, and the person in charge will be over 21 so we are able to tick more boxes than we need to.

The only thing we need is the seawortyh Cert. What's actually involved with this, never having the need to get one before?

Thanks again for the info.

I was entertaining thoughts of going on the canal when i first got the boat , that was until i was stopped by the barton swing bridge opening and watched a ship scorching down towards liverpool.

seeing the speed and the size of that ship i decided it was not to be messed with , might still try it one day but only as one of a large number of boats.

Thanks for the replies so far...

Although we're actually closer to Pamona at the moment we're thinking of heading south initially, onto the River Weaver, and then past Frodsham way and onto the Ship Canal there. The short trip between the Weaver mouth and Ellesmere Port canal basin could be done in a couple of hours I beleive? We'd only be going the one way too, coming back down the Shroppie and back along the Trent & Mersey.

I emailed Jalsea Marine late last night to find out about the certification needed but I will most likely speak to them on the phone at lunch time.

As it's such a short trip, alighting wouldn't really be that much of a problem, but definately something to keep in mind considering both boats will have a dog onboard, one quite elderly.

We have the life rings, life jackets, fire extinguishers, 100ft (of more) lengths of rope, mobile phones, the relevant anchor, navigation lights, and the person in charge will be over 21 so we are able to tick more boxes than we need to.

The only thing we need is the seawortyh Cert. What's actually involved with this, never having the need to get one before?

Thanks again for the info.

Well, with us Jalsea came out with a big scary torch...had a quick look, then did the paperwork. My mates boat had sticky starter at that time and they were not even worried about that. Your Certificate of Seaworthiness lasts for a year, I would advise making use of it and doing the whole MSC in that time period. Once you have your COS lodged with them it is much easier. It is not really that scary, they even gave up with the "Catch 22" situation and let us do it solo. I don't know whether the new Harbour Master insists on NB's being breasted up...we never did, only in locks, to make it easier to take only one set of lines. The MSC staff like a big loop on the end of the rope you hand them (they use a hooked rope to pick this up), they the loop round a monster inner bollard, then leave you the free end to make fast on your boat. The only boat we passed at speed in a cutting was a large tanker barge, the secret is to speed up as you pass the other craft, then you will not get sucked about. The scariest meeting we had was with a Mersey Ferry, doing a trip. As it approached us coming up from Latchford (obviously going for it), we could see an amazing bow wave crashing along the banks. It was an anti-climax, as it slowed down for as as we passed.

As John mentioned, it is really worth while to go up the Irwell, if you are up that end. As you are presumably Bridgewater registered, Pomona and the Upper Reaches should be free, well that is what Mike told us a few years ago. He also said that you can now moor in Salford Quays for a couple of days FOC. The "mooring" in the town is a bit iffy, even if you get permission to moor by the Mark Addy pub.

For people thinking of doing the MSC from down south, Jim Mc Donald did do us a free Certificate Of Seaworthiness, when he did a BSS on Earnest (the MSC insist on either an approved boatyard / individual or some one who is a naval archietect to do the COS, a boat surveyor will not do.)

It should only take 1.5 hours for the trip Weston Marsh lock to Ellesmere Port.

Some of our MSC stuff to whet your appetite:

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Tour_95/95Tour4.html

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Tour_02/Tour02_27.html

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Tour_03/Tour03_9.html

Liam

We did The MSC from Manchester to Ellesmere Port a few years ago and the locks were so gentle going down we did not need to use any ropes.

As we spent a few weeks on the Weaver earlier that year and we moored at Jalsea they did the certicate free of charge so I have no idea what the current cost is.

We did not breast up as we were on our own.

Steve

Steve, To be honest I'm all up for it and although I have mentioned it, at the moment I'm going off to find as much info as poss to pass on to the others. Our boat will be OK for it but I'm concerned about the other boat.. they are natural worriers and haven't been boating for that long so I'll just have to persuade them :lol:

Neil, we are Bridgewater Registered and so we do have free access to the Irwell and Northern Reaches with notice, and we've been down there a few times. I'd like to do the full length but for now I'll start them off with this short stretch :lol:

We've done the MSC a few times and I believe we set a couple of records. On one occasion we went aground on the stretch between weston sluices and Stanlow. Passing a Stolt line tanker , I took a wide course over to the Mersey bank and the tanker draw, pulled us down onto the mud for a few seconds- we were still about 30ft from the bank! The only NB to go aground on MSC?

On another occasion we headed out of Ellesmere Port, single boat at 7AM,they weren't ready for us at Latchford Locks, even though they had heard we were "going for it". Lunch was at Castlefield , at 1pm and we tied up at home moorings at Guide Bridge ,Ashton at 7:30pm, 32 locks and about 35 miles later. A bit faster than via Chester, Middlewich etc.

The MSC locks are very gentle , filling or emptying, compared to say Dukes 92. .

On one trip we passed a couple of the Carmet Towing tugs motoring up the canal, there was no wash from them until they were about 400yards astern, and the wash caught us by surprise - exciting rather than frightening.

In the same area- on the River Weaver though, I have a photo of us sharing a lock with a coaster in 1977, don't think that would be allowed now, even if you could still get a coaster up the Weaver.

Roger Lorenz does CofS , and very local to you

Bill

Liam.

We have made the run down the Ship Canal and back for each of the last two summers - the hardest work is organising the paperwork and communicating with Port Control - it is unlikely that you will need to use VHF as they are very happy to speak to you on the telephone and you will have plenty of notice about what is going on (there are cameras set up under the bridges that give Eastham live pictures of the whole canal). You will need to be very careful getting in and out of Marsh Lock as the channel is easily lost and what appears to be deep water is actually very shallow and the cost of getting a snatch off from one of the Ship Canal tugs will make your eyes water! If you are leaving Marsh lock it is much easier and Mo from BW will make it obvious where not to go, if you are coming down the Ship Canal from Manchester then it is very easy to get it horribly wrong.

I am currently in Worsley dry dock and will be passing you on Sunday ( I truly hope). If you are going to be about and would like a chat, let me know and we will have a brew and share our experiences. I can also point you at a surveyor who will come down to Sale and do your certificates for a very sensible sum.

Let me know if I can help.

Giles

'Hawthorn'