Cats! Are they ok on a boat?

foleyhancox

Featured Posts

Is their anyone out their that has a cat on baord their boat? If so could you please answer me the following questions as we have two and want to live aboard our boat:

:lol: 1) How long do you have to keep them inside for when you move onto the boat?

;) 2) Do they need harnesses or jackets when you go off.

:lol: 3) when you do go off can you let them off when you moor up some where?

:lol: 4) Can cats quite happily live aboard a narrow boat?

:lol: 5) Could you please give me any other advice please?

Thanks

Is their anyone out their that has a cat on baord their boat? If so could you please answer me the following questions as we have two and want to live aboard our boat:

:lol: 1) How long do you have to keep them inside for when you move onto the boat?

;) 2) Do they need harnesses or jackets when you go off.

:lol: 3) when you do go off can you let them off when you moor up some where?

:lol: 4) Can cats quite happily live aboard a narrow boat?

:lol: 5) Could you please give me any other advice please?

Thanks

It really depends on the cat/cats. My ex girlfriends cats would never venture more that a few feet from her boat and were always on board in the morning whereas the late Mike Stevens would tell stories of having to wait a couple of days for his cats to return before he could set off!

Helps considerably if you have a lockable cat flap on the boat

Hve seen many cats happily living on narrowboats.

We only ever put the cats into life jackets when travelling on tidal waters, cats can quite happpily swim in canals, the main problem (for the cat) is getting out of the water once it has fallen in, especially on steel piled sections of canal.

Tim

1) How long do you have to keep them inside for when you move onto the boat?

We had ours as a kitten

2) Do they need harnesses or jackets when you go off.

No they can swim

3) when you do go off can you let them off when you moor up some where?

Depends how long we are stopped for and where it is - NEVER let the cat out at Brentford they eat them there. I already lost one cat there.

4) Can cats quite happily live aboard a narrow boat?

Yes - but best to get them on very young - house cats sometimes don't take to it too well.

5) Could you please give me any other advice please?

Always check your cat is onbaord well before you are due to going on a trip - that cat "mogster" has had me outside looking like an idiot shouting "Mogster" "Mogster"

I had two cats living on my old boat and one of them absolutely hated it and the other loved it so it really is down to the individual cat, no question. The one who loved it would make a point of having a sleep whenever he saw the ropes being untied and would immediately go and have a nose around as soon as we were moored up.

There were a few other people with cats living aboard in the Cropredy area and none appeared to have any problems as far as I knew.

There were a few other people with cats living aboard in the Cropredy area and none appeared to have any problems as far as I knew.

Interestingly, there are a few places that we visit that 'GC' really enjoys - obviously Cropredy, his home mooring, but also Banbury, Braunston and Napton Bottom Lock. They (whoever they are) say that cats have short term memory but even after a years gap, he could still remember all his favourite routes and hunting grounds round Braunston.

At first, if he got off the boat, he expected to find it in exactly the same place when he was ready to return aboard and this often confused him at locks where the boat continued moving - but during the last year, he has quite happily jumped off at Claydon or Napton locks and followed the boat up or down the flight. When cruising he usually finds somewhere comfortable to sleep as soon as we start the engine and comes out on deck when he thinks its time to moor-up. This can be problematical because he has been known to jump ashore at Bridge 'oles and gets quite cross when we don't immediately moor up in the place that he has chosen. On one occasion he jumped ashore about a mile south of Cropredy - we couldn't stop at that point (too shallow for us at the edges) so we continued on our journey, winded and tied-up on our mooring - by this time, almost an hour had passed so, being slightly concerned, I walked back towards the bridge where he had jumped off. As I approached the spot, he emerged from the bushes and followed me back to the boat where he ate his biscuits as if nothing at all unusual had occurred . . .

Cats are fine on a boat as anyone can see from GC. The cat must be bonded to you and not a home/boat /place as they can get confused. As each cat is an individual, it is impossible to say 100% what they are going to be like but if they like being with you they'll be OK. One of my cats used to like coming for a drive with me and happily jumped into the car and sat on the rear parcel shelf looking out of the window.

Make sure there is a rough clothe or sacking over the side of the boat into the water in case of a fall in.

Ah, a chance to wax lyrical about the moggies...

We've got three Gert 8ish, Alb 7ish and Qwueen who's about 7 months old. Gert moved aboard at about 10 weeks, she was feral when I got her and spent the first three months or so living under the floor. She's a bit of a homebody now but doesn't fret at all when moving.

Alb, Gert's son was born aboard and never used to freat at all, however wehn we first got Sudan some trim fell off and landed on him and it's scarred him for life; he's a bit of a nervy sailor. He doesn;t like tunnels (leave the lights on) and when we were breaking ice last week did his nut. However he, much like GC, rules the roost and it's his itinerary we travel to. He demolishes cat flaps and when we get somewhere new likes to explore for a day or two. Much as GC he's got a good memory for places.

Queen, well on her first sojourn into the countryside near Alvechurch got scared by a jogger and fell in while trying to climb through teh cabin sides. She's not been too keen on going very far, apart from on our home mooring which hse's used to.

So... our cats are bonded to us as opposed to geographical features. They can definitely swim, although it was a bit of a shock the first time they fell in off the metal boat (last was wood) as they couldn't climb up the side, I'd be a bit nervy if there was a current though. Ours are perfectly happy, at least when Queen's not jumoing on the while they're trying to kip.

Other advice... Think long and hard about where to keep a litter tray. You'll need one if one's got the wanderlust as there'll be times when you need to keep them in to get home on time. An engine room's ideal but in our cruiser stern it's a bit difficult.

We'll buy a cratch cover this year and that'll sort it.

Ah, a chance to wax lyrical about the moggies...

We've got three Gert 8ish, Alb 7ish and Qwueen who's about 7 months old. Gert moved aboard at about 10 weeks, she was feral when I got her and spent the first three months or so living under the floor. She's a bit of a homebody now but doesn't fret at all when moving.

Alb, Gert's son was born aboard and never used to freat at all, however wehn we first got Sudan some trim fell off and landed on him and it's scarred him for life; he's a bit of a nervy sailor. He doesn;t like tunnels (leave the lights on) and when we were breaking ice last week did his nut. However he, much like GC, rules the roost and it's his itinerary we travel to. He demolishes cat flaps and when we get somewhere new likes to explore for a day or two. Much as GC he's got a good memory for places.

Queen, well on her first sojourn into the countryside near Alvechurch got scared by a jogger and fell in while trying to climb through teh cabin sides. She's not been too keen on going very far, apart from on our home mooring which hse's used to.

So... our cats are bonded to us as opposed to geographical features. They can definitely swim, although it was a bit of a shock the first time they fell in off the metal boat (last was wood) as they couldn't climb up the side, I'd be a bit nervy if there was a current though. Ours are perfectly happy, at least when Queen's not jumoing on the while they're trying to kip.

Other advice... Think long and hard about where to keep a litter tray. You'll need one if one's got the wanderlust as there'll be times when you need to keep them in to get home on time. An engine room's ideal but in our cruiser stern it's a bit difficult.

We'll buy a cratch cover this year and that'll sort it.

Don't you mean 'scratch' cover

i have 2 cats living onboard. mowly who (when i brought her to live with me) was about 10, i kept her in for a few days and now 5 years later, cant get her off especially when its raining/ snowing, she hates water on her paws. The other is in and out and in and out - i had a cat flap put in as i was sick of being a doorman. i keep a large fishing net close by in case one of them has a fall in. :lol:

Don't you mean 'scratch' cover

Don't go there... I've just realised that this could be the single most expensive scratching post we've ever bought...

i have 2 cats living onboard. mowly who (when i brought her to live with me) was about 10, i kept her in for a few days and now 5 years later, cant get her off especially when its raining/ snowing, she hates water on her paws. The other is in and out and in and out - i had a cat flap put in as i was sick of being a doorman. i keep a large fishing net close by in case one of them has a fall in. :lol:

Have you fished a dog called Eccles out recently...

Hmmmmm?

Edited by Smelly

quote:

1) How long do you have to keep them inside for when you move onto the boat?

The rule of thumb when moving house is the keep the cat in for a week.

2) Do they need harnesses or jackets when you go off.

Most cats don't mind a dip, but make sure you have rope side fenders so the cat can get back on.

3) when you do go off can you let them off when you moor up some where?

Most cats return when it's time to eat, If you can, train your cats to responed to a call or sound when it's feeding time

4) Can cats quite happily live aboard a narrow boat?

Works best with a pair, most cats like company

5) Could you please give me any other advice please?

Shut the cats in when going through a tunnel and when going through locks.

Firesprite (Tigger & Pickles)

Middle Levels

My mog's been with me for four years or so now. She gets a bit nervy at the start of a cruising season but within a few days is normally happily leaping off as soon as I moor. She falls in about once a year - never seen it but I assume she gets out via the rear fender. I lock her in when cruising, but normally she just snoozes under the bed anyway and shows no interest in the journey.

Things I have learned:

**Do not give breakfast before setting off if it's a nice day - she's likely to scoff then disappear off under a bush, leaving me waiting around for hours.

**Don't get precious about white bedding if the towpath outside is muddy

**Have a litter tray for when mooring in scary or bush-free places in order to avoid accidents indoors. Nowadays I have one with a lid so I can put it on the back deck in all weathers - works well for my city centre winter mooring.

**Wait till there are no dogs in sight before first exit at a new mooring or she'll refuse to go out at all

**Wildlife which hasn't ever learned about cats is at risk. Check under rugs in the morning for half-eaten snacks, and keep live mousetraps in stock for the ones that escaped. She rarely catches anything on the second night on a mooring once word's got around

We've only had our two cats since June but they've been fine on the boat, they were kittens when we collected them so I guess they've know nothing else which probobably helps. They both fell in a near by stream covered in chick weed when we first had them and one fel off the boat into the cut one evening (I fished her out with a net) but nothing since.

We feed them dry biscuit in the evening and dry biscuit and wet food in the morning so they are always in first thing waiting which is good when we want to cruise. They also come home if Heidi yells for them and shakes their food packet !

We keep them indoors when cruising and have an ash can there just for the occasion but they always sit in the window watch the world go by and leap off as soon as we moor.

One question if I may. Despite wearing bells our cats do catch mice etc..but I've noticed if they are allowed to roam around the whole boat at night including our bedroom they dont seem to bring anything in. If we lock them out of our room there's normally a mouse on the mat in the morning. Im wondering whats going on in their tiny minds ? Also any other tips to stop them bringing mice in or is it inevitable ?

Les

My mog's been with me for four years or so now. She gets a bit nervy at the start of a cruising season but within a few days is normally happily leaping off as soon as I moor. She falls in about once a year - never seen it but I assume she gets out via the rear fender. I lock her in when cruising, but normally she just snoozes under the bed anyway and shows no interest in the journey.

Things I have learned:

**Do not give breakfast before setting off if it's a nice day - she's likely to scoff then disappear off under a bush, leaving me waiting around for hours.

**Don't get precious about white bedding if the towpath outside is muddy

**Have a litter tray for when mooring in scary or bush-free places in order to avoid accidents indoors. Nowadays I have one with a lid so I can put it on the back deck in all weathers - works well for my city centre winter mooring.

**Wait till there are no dogs in sight before first exit at a new mooring or she'll refuse to go out at all

**Wildlife which hasn't ever learned about cats is at risk. Check under rugs in the morning for half-eaten snacks, and keep live mousetraps in stock for the ones that escaped. She rarely catches anything on the second night on a mooring once word's got around

Hi

Our big ginger tom slipped off the gunwhale just after Xmas when then canal was frozen solid. Ah, not far to fall then...? Well, with the boat moving around in the wind, there was about an 18" gap of non-iced water around the boat that didn't really get chance to freeze. Well, he fell into the water, managed to get out on to the ice and then ran in a panic across the canal into the undergrowth on the other side. Thing is... At the time, we heard him slip off and a splash. We ran to the stern to get torches (about 1am) and searched the water frantically to see if we could see him anywhere. Not a sound... So, we instantly thought he was under the ice and had drowned. :lol: Well, at about 3am, hubby heard a faint cry that we knew was his cry but sounded too far away. We were both out with torches again - nothing! Eventually, we could hear him but worked out he was on the other side somewhere in the undergrowth. Sent hubby out to walk all the way around, over the bridge, back down the canal again and into the undergrowth to get him. Took him about an hour to get through all the brambles and trees to find him and carried him back in his coat. He's fine now and has just started venturing out again.

I thought cats were nimble and really sure footed? The gunwhale isn't exactly narrow for a cat to walk along is it! He's a big daft nutmeg of a cat but we love him! :lol:

Canal has iced up again at the moment so we're both worried about him doing it again! Will he learn?!?!?!

Kay

x

I thought cats were nimble and really sure footed? The gunwhale isn't exactly narrow for a cat to walk along is it! He's a big daft nutmeg of a cat but we love him! :lol:

Canal has iced up again at the moment so we're both worried about him doing it again! Will he learn?!?!?!

Kay

x

They usually are quite smart, but, they do have their dim moments, one of our cats here keeps walking over one of my mum's college work files, and one end of the file is dangling over the edge of the table, so is unsupported, and I've lost count how many times the silly cat has stepped on it and plunged down to the floor!!! :lol:

So, cat's don't often learn, unless they get wet that is... :lol: