Best canal for pubs and scenery

Kieron

Featured Posts

Hi There,

I am completely new to all things boats and canals and wish to ask for some advice?.

My brother is getting married and i'm the best man, hence organising the stag do... We are all a bit too long in the tooth for your normal style trips to somewhere in eastern europe etc so looking for something a bit more alternative...

I thought a cool idea would be to get a boat and gently cruise along stopping off at pubs along the way. The ideal would be a canal passing through nice scenery, and has lots of interesting pubs selling fine ales, not just fizzy lager! (of course the last point is negotable, just a nice to have!)

In case anybody would be put off replying to this becuase they would not want a group of beered up louts spoiling their favourite stretch of water.. please rest assured we are all in our forties and passed our wilder years. I'm just looking for a fun trip where we can have a few beers, look at some nice scenery, old pubs, pass through a few locks and generally catch up as we all live in different parts of the UK.

Which brings me onto geography, basically anywhere would do, I live in Scotland, brother Ireland, some people Wales, others Sussex etc.

Any help would be VERY greatly appreciated. Time wise definately at least a weekend, maybe a little longer if it's a must do.

Many thanks

Kieron

Good plan: I did something similar in my own boat. That was on the Gloucester and Sharpness as that's where I moor

Caldon Canal is good, starting in Stoke (hire base there, Black Prince) it's 17 miles and 17 locks each way with some good pubs, as you get towards then end the scenery is spectacular and the pubs superb (Boat at Cheddleton, Black Lion at Consall Forge)

The Macclesfield and Upper Peak Forest are pretty good as well, with a finale of the Navigation at Bugsworth Basin, where one may drink a pint looking at Eccles Pike and the outliers of the Peak District, stop in Bollington, Macclesfield and Congleton for some Good Beer Guide pubs,

just two possibilities...

Yep the Caldon, not because i live nr it, but i hear all the boaters say how nice it is too, you have the Foxley at Milton (canalside), about 2 miles out of Stoke, get to the 5 locks at Endon and you have the Sportsman just over the road, The Holly Bush (canalside) is a couple of miles down the cut, a mile or so later you have the Red Lion (canalside) also here right opposite the pub is Castro`s Mexican restaurant, book a lockside table, another mile or so you have the Boat Inn (canalside) then a venture down th river section of the canal to the Black Lion Consall (canalside)

Thumbs up also for the Caldon - did it last summer and thoroughly enjoyed - particularly the Black Lion at Consall.

Of course, I'm biased and rate the Leeds/Liverpool but apart from a couple of really good pubs (Cross Keys at East Marton and Masons in Gargrave) you are limited to Skipton/Barrowford for decent spots for said imbibing.

Yes the Llangollen is a good canal for this sort of trip, plenty of interest and lots of hire companies..

But hey, don't knock the "group of beered up louts" idea as you go over that ponte-thingy aqueduct you can play 'Spitting on the cricketers', extra points for an umpire and all that.

I'd vote for the southern end of the Stratford upon Avon Canal, possibly in combination with the River Avon (hire from Evesham, maybe?). A very pretty and interesting route, quite a bit of locking to do but nothing particularly challenging. Not wall-to-wall pubs but enough to keep you amused, and there are cupboards on the boat to put bottles in, aren't there?

Hi There,

I am completely new to all things boats and canals and wish to ask for some advice?.

My brother is getting married and i'm the best man, hence organising the stag do... We are all a bit too long in the tooth for your normal style trips to somewhere in eastern europe etc so looking for something a bit more alternative...

I thought a cool idea would be to get a boat and gently cruise along stopping off at pubs along the way. The ideal would be a canal passing through nice scenery, and has lots of interesting pubs selling fine ales, not just fizzy lager! (of course the last point is negotable, just a nice to have!)

In case anybody would be put off replying to this becuase they would not want a group of beered up louts spoiling their favourite stretch of water.. please rest assured we are all in our forties and passed our wilder years. I'm just looking for a fun trip where we can have a few beers, look at some nice scenery, old pubs, pass through a few locks and generally catch up as we all live in different parts of the UK.

Which brings me onto geography, basically anywhere would do, I live in Scotland, brother Ireland, some people Wales, others Sussex etc.

Any help would be VERY greatly appreciated. Time wise definately at least a weekend, maybe a little longer if it's a must do.

Many thanks

Kieron

Hi Kieron

Try the Oxford, 2 bloody good reasons......Look on the Oxfordshire narrowboats web site, we let out to single sex parties and they r bloody good boats, and if u message me direct from this site I will get u a discount....

Regards

Tim

Yep the Caldon, not because i live nr it, but i hear all the boaters say how nice it is too, you have the Foxley at Milton (canalside), about 2 miles out of Stoke, get to the 5 locks at Endon and you have the Sportsman just over the road, The Holly Bush (canalside) is a couple of miles down the cut, a mile or so later you have the Red Lion (canalside) also here right opposite the pub is Castro`s Mexican restaurant, book a lockside table, another mile or so you have the Boat Inn (canalside) then a venture down th river section of the canal to the Black Lion Consall (canalside)

Don't forget the Leek Arm, some excellent pubs in Leek, including a Belgian bar, and it's downhill all the way back to the boat!

Tim

As an aside, given that you are all quite far apart geographically, you need to give some thought to how you get to the hirebases themselves. Most hirebases don't have extensive carparks, so perhaps you should ask them how far they are from railways/airports etc?

Hope you all have a nice time.

Edited by david and julie

Given that its a stag do are we talking about a weekend hire or longer?

That's a damn good point, actually. I think my preferences for Llangollen or Shropie are probably more suitable for a week rather than a weekend.

Hey guys,

An absolute million thanks for all the replies. I can see a weekend ahead looking the routes and pubs etc you mentioned. Found the website waterscape.com, plus the canalplanner at http://www2.mihalis.net/canal/cgi-bin/canal.cgi?m=js; are these good base points to find out about the routes you mentioned?.

By at least a weekend I mean't I would prefer around 4-5 days but not sure yet how everybodiy else is set up for getting time off, usual group planning headaches! Guess they could always meet us a couple of days into the trip.

Many thanks again and keep the info coming, all inside knowledge about ease of parking etc is very handy.

Right, tough week so just starting on the second pint of homebrew before canal study saturday!

Thanks again

Kieron

For me it would be the Calder & Hebble from Shire Cruises at Sowerby Bridge.

Sowerby Bridge itself is a good spot for "proper" pubs, the Puzzle Hall is a must if you get chance. At Elland there is the Barge & Barrel or the Colliers which are both canal side. On to Brighouse there are plenty of good pubs Red Rooster, Atlas,s brewery tap (can,t remember the name of the pub) and a Spoons plus others and from there on to Dewsbury for the Leggars, West Riding Refreshment Rooms, Shepherds Rest etc. and back to Sowerby doing it all again.

Sowerby is accessible by rail or motorway plus Manchester/Leeds Bradford airports are not to far either so it should make it easier for people travelling from further afield.

For me it would be the Calder & Hebble from Shire Cruises at Sowerby Bridge.

Sowerby Bridge itself is a good spot for "proper" pubs, the Puzzle Hall is a must if you get chance. At Elland there is the Barge & Barrel or the Colliers which are both canal side. On to Brighouse there are plenty of good pubs Red Rooster, Atlas,s brewery tap (can,t remember the name of the pub) and a Spoons plus others and from there on to Dewsbury for the Leggars, West Riding Refreshment Rooms, Shepherds Rest etc. and back to Sowerby doing it all again.

Sowerby is accessible by rail or motorway plus Manchester/Leeds Bradford airports are not to far either so it should make it easier for people travelling from further afield.

I can absolutely endorse this. You can go either way from Sowerby Bridge and find lots of excellent pubs; however the Puzzle is so good that you may not want to move - as I didn't for the past three nights.......... And Shire Cruisers are one of the best hire firms around. But You've got to be fit - the locks are hard work! Having said that, I can't disagree with the Caldon either.

Mac

Hey guys,

One further question if you don't mind, regarding 'How long it takes'

I was looking at the hire comapnies - In ths case Andersoin Boats - And it says to do the Caldon it takes 'Average cruising time per day (one week) - 9 hours' (Didn't want to ring them on a Sun, plus interested in what your experiences are)

I read elsewhere that you should take each lock to be an extra mile, so 18 miles plus 17 locks = 35 miles. Say we average 3 miles and hour? That only adds up to around 11 hours crusing total, then time added on for pub stops etc.

Is it feasible to do the Caldon in around 3-5 days without having to cruise from sun up to sun down, plus factor in 'refreshmant' stops at all those Camra recommended pubs!?

Also based on what you guys have been saying, plus some independant googling, the Llangollen also sounds good, plus maybe a little shorter so bette alternative for 3-5 days?.

Cheers

Kieron

Whilst I note your original question was 'which canal..' you'll probably now realise that some trips/routes will involve more than one canal. If instead, you were to ask ..which route.. I'd say The Stourport Ring. If has a bit of everything. Green fields, industrial dereliction, Central Birmingham, small villages, The Black Country Museum, tunnels, locks and plenty of pubs. It was the first trip I ever did, and in the 15 years since we started boating, it's the one we've repeated more than any other.

Edited to say that I didn't realise you only wanted 3-5 days.. Stourport would take a week, especially for novices.. though if you decide to make it a full week...

Edited by Pete of Ebor

Also based on what you guys have been saying, plus some independant googling, the Llangollen also sounds good, plus maybe a little shorter so bette alternative for 3-5 days?.

Cheers

Kieron

Yes, it is, but start at Black Prince, Stoke on Trent (within yards of the start of the Caldon Canal) or perhaps Canal Cruising at Stone.

the 17 miles 17 locks each way is for the canal itself, Andersen are adding 18 miles and 34 locks each way to get to it!

And, if you don't have to wait at locks (depends when you are going) it is nearer two locks = one mile. My "rule of thumb" is 3 miles an hour 6 locks an hour, so three miles with six locks should take two hours. In any one three mile/six lock stretch this could be a bit out but over 2-3 days it works