head or heart?

Ally

Featured Posts

I am looking at buying a liveaboard, just for me, and have come up with 4 options. I can't decide between them! :lol: So, I thought I would see if anyone has any thoughts on the boats, to help me along....

The one that grabbed my heart is a 45' tug style, built by Eastwood Engineering, fitted by Ron Hearn, 1954 Petter engine, replica boatmans cabin, all ports......I'm in love!! :lol: But a practical liveaboard???? hmmmmmm. would need some refitting to be a comfy liveaboard.

Am also looking at a 55' trad, built by Dennis Cooper/canal transport services, Dave Freeman fit out....

And a 50' Colecraft trad.....

These two would both need some work to tick my boxes, but could be done over time.

and a 40' Dave Clark cruiser....the most expensive, but seems to need nothing doing at all, and in theory ticks all the boxes (except it has square windows :lol: )

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have, about the build qualities in general....I regret to say I don't know any background about Dennis Cooper or Eastwood engineering. If i go for any of these boats, I want to know i'm choosing well.

I don't need loads of space, am used to living on 57' with 2 of us, so can manage with less space.

And of course........

head or heart????

Thanks!!!

I'm kinda getting the jist here, :lol: but can anyone tell me more about the builders at all??? Good hulls/fitouts to be looking at or not???? Think i can recognise a really bad one, but all views and thoughts are welcome!!

I am looking at buying a liveaboard, just for me, and have come up with 4 options. I can't decide between them! :lol: So, I thought I would see if anyone has any thoughts on the boats, to help me along....

The one that grabbed my heart is a 45' tug style, built by Eastwood Engineering, fitted by Ron Hearn, 1954 Petter engine, replica boatmans cabin, all ports......I'm in love!! :lol: But a practical liveaboard???? hmmmmmm. would need some refitting to be a comfy liveaboard.

Am also looking at a 55' trad, built by Dennis Cooper/canal transport services, Dave Freeman fit out....

These two would both need some work to tick my boxes, but could be done over time.

and a 40' Dave Clark cruiser....the most expensive, but seems to need nothing doing at all, and in theory ticks all the boxes (except it has square windows :lol: )

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have, about the build qualities in general....I regret to say I don't know any background about Dennis Cooper or Eastwood engineering. If i go for any of these boats, I want to know i'm choosing well.

I don't need loads of space, am used to living on 57' with 2 of us, so can manage with less space.

And of course........

head or heart????

Thanks!!!

Obviously we are making choices without the info you have but I'll break ranks and go a bit in favour of head as follows.

I'd usually go for the tug myself but 45 is a bit small for 2 to live on.

Based purely on what I've heard from past owners Eastwood are sturdy but a little bit rough edged.

Colecraft have a good reputation.

Dennis Cooper was the original owner of Canal Transport Services and produced some excellent boats.

The company is still being run by his son.

Freeman is a fairly well known fitter out. Who did the others?

I don't know much about Dave Clark boats.

How well these boats have been loooked after over the years is important and that will show on close inspection.

My choice based on almost no info????

Seriously consider the Cooper first then the Colecraft.

Edited by andywatson

Thanks for that, but just to clarify,...I am now buying a boat just for me, so only 1 person!!!

Oops, pardon me.

Just a thought.

Do you fancy a fit out project?

I know of a Mel Davis shell going reasonably priced.

Tug deck and portholes.

Painted and foam insulated with SST water tank and Lister engine (not coupled up).

Genuine reason for sale.

PM for details.

Edited by andywatson

Tug style live-aboard? All that wasted space on the tug deck!

Space outside is only wasted if you want to spend all your time cooped up inside.

There's nothing nicer than getting the deck chair out of the huge storage space, under the tug deck, and cracking open a bottle.

Head for a liveaboard and heart for a pleasure boat, so I'd prefer one of the above, irrespective of who made them, the others are too small to sensibly live on.

I don't think 1 or 2 people makes that much difference to the size of boat really because, apart from the sleeping arrangements, most of the other areas need to be more or less the same.

I'd PM Andy first.

fire poi!!!

Okay, what's "fire poi"?

Head for a liveaboard and heart for a pleasure boat,

No no no!! Wrong way round!

Head for leisure boat, heart for liveaboard!

If it's a weekender and holiday boat then you want something usable and practical.

If it's your home then you need to love it!

No no no!! Wrong way round!

Head for leisure boat, heart for liveaboard!

If it's a weekender and holiday boat then you want something usable and practical.

If it's your home then you need to love it!

I wasn't the wrong way round for me but as a compromise lets just say that something usuable and practical that you love is best. :lol:

Tug style live-aboard? All that wasted space on the tug deck!

Most of the Tugs that I have seen have a double bed on rollers under the foredeck. It is stored there during th day and is rolled out at night for sleeping.

I have always though that this was a very sensible idea, the only problem is that you do not then have a separate cabin to dress in, but that is not a problem if there is/are only one/two of you.