Stern rubbing strakes

Woollymishka

Featured Posts

Hi

After reading many of the postings I am sure someone can explain as to why some boats have a couple of stern rubbing strakes which then allows 2 colours to be painted around the stern whilst other boats seem to have an extra rubbing strake which then allows 3 colours to be painted?

Someone in a pub suggested that having 3 colours was from the working boat days - but why?

Just curious really......

Happy new year everyone

Tim

Hi

After reading many of the postings I am sure someone can explain as to why some boats have a couple of stern rubbing strakes which then allows 2 colours to be painted around the stern whilst other boats seem to have an extra rubbing strake which then allows 3 colours to be painted?

Someone in a pub suggested that having 3 colours was from the working boat days - but why?

Just curious really......

Happy new year everyone

Tim

The working boats built by Yarwood's at Northwich had 3 strakes. It probably adds a bit of strength and helps protect against dints caused by the butty.

Consequently "Northwich" replicas are usually so built.

I'm sure the experts will be along shortly to expand on this.

I thought that, plus a difference in the way the plates join at the stem post, were agreed differences between Yarwoods and H&W, so that us lesser anoraks could quickly tell if we were looking at a Northwich or a Woolwich GUCCCo motor!

Judging by the number dents that most of the Big Woolwich's aquired in service, they were probably there to prorotect the stern from embankment collisions. After all most of the GU was beeing re-edged with concrete piling and capping at the same time that the new boats were being built.time.

Judging by the number dents that most of the Big Woolwich's aquired in service, they were probably there to prorotect the stern from embankment collisions. After all most of the GU was beeing re-edged with concrete piling and capping at the same time that the new boats were being built.time.

I thought they went pointy end first :lol::lol:

The working boats built by Yarwood's at Northwich had 3 strakes. It probably adds a bit of strength and helps protect against dints caused by the butty.

Consequently "Northwich" replicas are usually so built.

I'm sure the experts will be along shortly to expand on this.

I'm no expert but the royalty class motor Victoria (1931) was built by Yarwoods at Northwich with two strakes. However there is a huge bump in the stern when she was hit from behind with another boat after coming to a sudden stop while ice breaking!

Cheers,

Mike

I thought that, plus a difference in the way the plates join at the stem post, were agreed differences between Yarwoods and H&W, so that us lesser anoraks could quickly tell if we were looking at a Northwich or a Woolwich GUCCCo motor!

Interesting how all the yarwoods built joshers have only the two rubbing strakes would seem to put this theory to bed of yarwoods only having three rubbbing strakes. I'd agree quite a good way of recognising the builder of a grand union boat, but they usually easily recognisable from the quite distinctive different fore-ends.

I'd agree quite a good way of recognising the builder of a grand union boat, but they usually easily recognisable from the quite distinctive different fore-ends.

Not if the picture you are looking at is taken from behind!

Interesting how all the yarwoods built joshers have only the two rubbing strakes would seem to put this theory to bed of yarwoods only having three rubbbing strakes. I'd agree quite a good way of recognising the builder of a grand union boat, but they usually easily recognisable from the quite distinctive different fore-ends.

It certainly wasn't all Yarwoods Narrow Boats by any means which had the three guards, but it was more than just the GUCCCo boats.

Tim

It certainly wasn't all Yarwoods Narrow Boats by any means which had the three guards, but it was more than just the GUCCCo boats.

Tim

There are some that say the Cowburn and Cowpar boats were built to the Josher spec. but that the odd counters were added to make them different enough to avoid complaint from FMC.

There are some that say the Cowburn and Cowpar boats were built to the Josher spec. but that the odd counters were added to make them different enough to avoid complaint from FMC.

It seems to me that almost no two C&C motors were the same....

Round counters, pointy counters, round bilge, square bilge, composite......

Oh, and the fore ends don't seem very consistent, some much closer to a Joshers shape than others.

The Snipe has a round counter, with (to the best of my recollection) the third guard. I put the counter wrapper plate on, more years ago than I care to remember (OK it would have been 1972 or 73), I don't think I would have added the extra guard just for fun so it would have been reproducing what was there before.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Stork (which has a pointy counter) also has three rubbing strakes...

Slightly off topic, I know, but I was either told, or read somewhere, I can't remember which, that a pointy counter was used so as to deflect most of the butty away from hitting the motor as they had glass carbouys carrying nasty liquid. Anyone confirm?