Can anybody identify my stove please

PeterF

Featured Posts

After a topic on stoves recently, I posted some questions about oepration as there were none on the boat when I bought it for our stive. Liam suggested I post a picture to see if anyone could identify it.

Any details would be welcome.

Many thanks,

PeterF.

stove.jpg

it looks very much like a Little Wenlock, or maybe a copy?

They seem to vary a bit in style depending on the age of them, if you google little wenlock you'll see some of the options. But that's what my money is on.

As regards operation, chuck some wood and coal in it , set it on fire, I use firelighters, control the burn rate with the big knob on the front. Clean it out when you can't get any more fuel in it.

The brass knob to the bottom left is a riddling knob, pull it in and out to persuade the ash to fall into the pan. If you're just burning wood, wisdom as it that the grate comes out and the wood burns on its own ash.

My LW which I recently sold , didn't have a riddling grate, this must be a modern innovation. If you want it to burn overnight, you might need to get a flue damper fitted, and run it on coal, make sure you have a CO alarm.

Edited by Big Steve

it looks very much like a Little Wenlock, or maybe a copy?

They seem to vary a bit in style depending on the age of them, if you google little wenlock you'll see some of the options. But that's what my money is on.

As regards operation, chuck some wood and coal in it , set it on fire, I use firelighters, control the burn rate with the big knob on the front. Clean it out when you can't get any more fuel in it.

The brass knob to the bottom left is a riddling knob, pull it in and out to persuade the ash to fall into the pan. If you're just burning wood, wisdom as it that the grate comes out and the wood burns on its own ash.

My LW which I recently sold , didn't have a riddling grate, this must be a modern innovation. If you want it to burn overnight, you might need to get a flue damper fitted, and run it on coal, make sure you have a CO alarm.

It doesn't look like any Little Wenlock that I've seen, although I agree there are several different varieties around so it may be (but it would have to be very recent). However it seems to share hardly any common features with a Little Wenlock which is why I feel doubtful:

The LW spin-wheel is usually brass

The operating tool ios different from a LW

This looks to have a control at the top (a damper) which the LW doesn't have.

We've had a Little Wenlock for 18 years (our first one died after 15) and the earlier one had a riddling grate so it's not that modern an innovation. If yours didn't have one Steve, maybe it had been removed for burning wood (as you, and the instructions, recommend)

It's a Franco Belge BELFORT stove, like this....

franco_belge_belfort_b.jpg

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning...fort-stove.html

Looks a nice stove, but I've not seen one in a boat before, I think.

The power of Google, hey ?

Alan

It's a Franco Belge BELFORT stove, like this....

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning...fort-stove.html

The power of Google, hey ?

Alan

Alan,

Result : Alan 2 Peter 0 :lol::lol:

Thanks very much.

I was looking at it yesterday after comments that stoves should be fastened down and this one is not and does not have any holes in the feet so I wondered if it was a narrowboat one or not. I discussed this with my wife and she commented that she thought it was larger than most of them normally seen on narrowboats and she was beginning to think it was a domestic unit.

I have to say that we had worked out how to use it after trial and error and it can't half kick out some heat, if we put too much fuel in the boat easily gets unbearable, another clue it is a little too large. Looking at the link you gave, rated heat output up to 6.6kW, no wonder we cooked ourselves the first time we really loaded it up.

The best thing the link you provided has installation and operating instructions to download which is what I was really after.

Once again thanks,

Peter.

Edited by PeterF

Glad to be of help.

Don't underestimate the dangers of it not being fixed down, if it's really not attached at all.

The consequences of it falling over when fully alight, because you have unexpectedly struck something, really don't even bear thinking about :lol:

If it were mine, I'd not be going anywhere at all until I got it anchored. (Not too many dangers whilst moored, I'd have thought).

Sounds like you will need to drill the feet to add some kind of bracket ?

Alan

I'm just fitting a squirrel (4010) and it too has no means of fastening down. I'm intending to drill through the legs to fix brackets to.

When I opened it up, all the internal bits were loose. It took me ages to work out how to put it all back together, however I still have one peice which I don't know what to do with. It is shaped like a quarter of a football with two lugs on it. Any ideas?

I'm just fitting a squirrel (4010) and it too has no means of fastening down. I'm intending to drill through the legs to fix brackets to.

When I opened it up, all the internal bits were loose. It took me ages to work out how to put it all back together, however I still have one peice which I don't know what to do with. It is shaped like a quarter of a football with two lugs on it. Any ideas?

I spent ages trying to get the 3 firebricks in place with no instructions, it was like being on the crystal maze! I don't remember a part like the one you describe but they do several different ones, I think mine's a 1410. As for the feet, I ordered some of the lockgate brackets but couldn't find a way of fitting them without removing the heatsheild underneath, they never seemed quite the right size however I fitted them. Because i'd booked a BSS inspection and had limited time to fit the stove due to work we had to cut some pieces of steel to fit inside the angle part of the legs and screw these down with coach screws which looks quite neat, i'd have rung lockgate for advice but they were closed so i've a spare set of brackets now.

Rick

It's a Franco Belge BELFORT stove...

There's a Franco Belge on the boat to be tested in the next issue (ie February edition) of Canal Boat. Looks good, although to have to confess I didn't check whether or how it was anchored. I'd not seen one on a boat before either.

Is it a 4010?

Edited by wonderdust

Glad to be of help.

Don't underestimate the dangers of it not being fixed down, if it's really not attached at all.

The consequences of it falling over when fully alight, because you have unexpectedly struck something, really don't even bear thinking about :lol:

If it were mine, I'd not be going anywhere at all until I got it anchored. (Not too many dangers whilst moored, I'd have thought).

Sounds like you will need to drill the feet to add some kind of bracket ?

Alan

Alan,

Only had it running when moored at the moment and on my list of winter jobs is fastening it down securely after the topic a month or so back which highlighted this danger. Hopefully as the feet are cast they should drill through easily as I have always believed cast iron / steel is softer than wrought. Guess I am going to find out soon.

Cheers,

Peter.

Colin,

Sounds like the smoke hood that came with our 1410.

In ours, it sits above the baffle plate, with the 2 lugs locating into the underside of the flue collar, with the 'open' face towards the back of the fire.

There's a not very helpful cutaway diagram on p5 of the Squirrel installation manual (available from http://www.morsoe.com/uk/Products/Wood-bur...Morsoe_1410.htm if you haven't got one).

The downside to all this if you've still got yours left over, is that you'll need to remove the firebricks and baffle plate to fit it.

Hope this helps,

Richard

I thought it rather weird that the instruction manual that comes with the stove says for further information visit the web site, and when I do I get exactly the same instruction manual. Your link leads me to the same thing - am I doing something wrong?

If I have to dismantle the inards again, is this piece essential?

One of the advanages of steel over cast iron is that it can be more easily welded. when we got our stove there was no means of fastening it down so I took it down to Sileby Mill and Charlie did a great job of welding little plates into the angle of the legs and then drilling them so that I could screw it down on Theodora.

My stove is very much like the one picured bu I cannot remember who made it. I will have a look when I get back. One of the good bits of design is that the ashpan door and the firebox door are the some casting so you cannot open just the ask pan door with the attendant risk of disastrous over firing.

Nick

Alan,

Result : Alan 2 Peter 0 :lol::lol:

Thanks very much.

I was looking at it yesterday after comments that stoves should be fastened down and this one is not and does not have any holes in the feet so I wondered if it was a narrowboat one or not. I discussed this with my wife and she commented that she thought it was larger than most of them normally seen on narrowboats and she was beginning to think it was a domestic unit.

I have to say that we had worked out how to use it after trial and error and it can't half kick out some heat, if we put too much fuel in the boat easily gets unbearable, another clue it is a little too large. Looking at the link you gave, rated heat output up to 6.6kW, no wonder we cooked ourselves the first time we really loaded it up.

The best thing the link you provided has installation and operating instructions to download which is what I was really after.

Once again thanks,

Peter.

I thought it rather weird that the instruction manual that comes with the stove says for further information visit the web site, and when I do I get exactly the same instruction manual. Your link leads me to the same thing - am I doing something wrong?

If I have to dismantle the inards again, is this piece essential?

Wonderdust, thanks for that link to the exploded diagram.

The part I was referring to on our 1410 is indeed number 67 on the 1440 drawing. IIRC, according to the shiny colour brochure that came with ours, the 'smoke hood' is designed to increase the time the flue gasses take to exit the stove, thus increasing heat transfer. Unfortunately, said brochure has already contributed to heat output from the stove or I'd have posted a copy for you :-) I was hoping to find a copy on the Morsoe site to point you at, but can't find one.

So, to answer the question as posed, imho it's not a vital component, but could make your stove more efficient if you fit it (eg in the Spring when you take out the baffle plate to clear off all the Winter debris:-)).

Richard

Can you post a pic? Is it here drawing 1440 number 67 ill find this bloody 1/4 football :lol:

It's very like it, but I can't see the lugs. Also, it's not a diagram of my stove, which is top right (1410) which dosen't have that bit. Perhaps it strayed in from elsewhere at the shop!

I didn't get a shiny coloured manual with mine, perhaps it was exchanged for the extra piece.

Edited by Dr Bradley