Chilly day for boating.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

We ventured out for a short trip today, mainly to test the heating of the new calorifier, and also to get some charge in the batteries, (oh OK, and to go to the pub!).

We were genuinely surprised by the amount of ice we encountered, and did wonder about a U turn. However it was obvious that someone else was ahead, doing most of the breaking for us.

So thanks to "Albi" / "Leo", (or the boat he was with) for pushing their blacking through it before we went through. :lol:

We didn't think it was going to melt much in today's temperatures, but by the time we had had a pleasant pub lunch, nearly all trace had gone.

We also got to meet "Koukouvagia" briefly, as they were pushing towards the same venue as Leo/Albi. In fact it seemed like many of the online moorers at Cow Roast were all heading to Marsworth. It's not often one sees so many boats moving in mid-December, down here - so it was particularly nice to put some faces to names.

The calorifier is working great, by the way, so that takes the pressure off a bit on fixing the miscreant Morco.

Alan

Glad to hear thet the calorifier is working ok Alan. I visited our boat yeasterday and measured the return fitting at the back of the block just in case it would be helpful, but you hopefully won't need it now.

P.S. I am envious of your being able to pop out for a days cruising if the weather permits, If I tried I would get through the locks, about half a mile away and then have to return, and drive for two and a half hours home. Still winter is soon over, we are not going abroad next year and plan to do a lot of cruising instead. lets hope the weather is kind.

Edited by David Schweizer

Glad to hear that the calorifier is working ok Alan. I visited our boat yesterday and measured the return fitting at the back of the block just in case it would be helpful, but you hopefully won't need it now.

Well I remain unconvinced that what I threaded into the hole is for absolute certain the correct thread. But if you had seen the totally mangled state of the old blanking plug, I'm not sure that wheat's definitely meant to go there would be a tight fit anyway.

It seemed good enough that it's not going to fail, and there is no leakage.

The fact that the heater hose rises higher than the coolant level doesn't seem to be holding it back - I'm hoping the pump is powerful enough to continue to purge any air through.

I still don't know if heat will be lost due to convection once stopped. I don't think I'll be there tomorrow to find out.

As you say it's good having the boat close to home. The downside is it takes about half a week to get to Braunston or Napton, and another half week to return, meaning a week always taken out of a holiday before we get a real route choice.

Well I remain unconvinced that what I threaded into the hole is for absolute certain the correct thread. But if you had seen the totally mangled state of the old blanking plug, I'm not sure that wheat's definitely meant to go there would be a tight fit anyway.

It seemed good enough that it's not going to fail, and there is no leakage.

The fact that the heater hose rises higher than the coolant level doesn't seem to be holding it back - I'm hoping the pump is powerful enough to continue to purge any air through.

I still don't know if heat will be lost due to convection once stopped. I don't think I'll be there tomorrow to find out.

As you say it's good having the boat close to home. The downside is it takes about half a week to get to Braunston or Napton, and another half week to return, meaning a week always taken out of a holiday before we get a real route choice.

The pipes on my system rise higher than the coolant level and it functions perfectly well. The pump on the BMC is a powerfull afair, on my system not only does it push water through the calorifier, it also pushes the water along the whole length of the boat through two radiatiors.

By the way the fitting on my engine is a brass M/F elbow with an outside diameter at the male end of 11/32"

Yes Napton is a good location for starting a trip. We are planning to do Stratford on Avon in the Spring, My son's Girlfriend is an Actor and wants to visit the Bard's home town by boat before they return to Australia next year. Being somewhat wider than most modern boats, I am still a bit worried about getting stuck in some of the locks though (past bad experience!!) We were the ones who caused the hold up at Somerton deep last summer -

well and truly stuck!

Edited by David Schweizer

We ventured out for a short trip today, mainly to test the heating of the new calorifier, and also to get some charge in the batteries, (oh OK, and to go to the pub!).

We were genuinely surprised by the amount of ice we encountered, and did wonder about a U turn. However it was obvious that someone else was ahead, doing most of the breaking for us.

So thanks to "Albi" / "Leo", (or the boat he was with) for pushing their blacking through it before we went through. :lol:

We didn't think it was going to melt much in today's temperatures, but by the time we had had a pleasant pub lunch, nearly all trace had gone.

We also got to meet "Koukouvagia" briefly, as they were pushing towards the same venue as Leo/Albi. In fact it seemed like many of the online moorers at Cow Roast were all heading to Marsworth. It's not often one sees so many boats moving in mid-December, down here - so it was particularly nice to put some faces to names.

The calorifier is working great, by the way, so that takes the pressure off a bit on fixing the miscreant Morco.

Alan

We left Berkhampstead on Sunday and have had ice every day so far. At one stage Wednesday morning it was so thick it actually stopped the boat and I had to back up and take a run at it!! I'm looking forward to the torrential rain in the morning, just for a change. Blisworth tunnel tomorrow so I was going to get wet anyway!!!

The pipes on my system rise higher than the coolant level and it functions perfectly well. The pump on the BMC is a powerfull afair, on my system not only does it push water through the calorifier, it also pushes the water along the whole length of the boat through two radiatiors.

By the way the fitting on my engine is a brass M/F elbow with an outside diameter at the male end of 11/32"

Yes Napton is a good location for starting a trip. We are planning to do Stratford on Avon in the Spring, My son's Girlfriend is an Actor and wants to visit the Bard's home town by boat before they return to Australia next year. Being somewhat wider than most modern boats, I am still a bit worried about getting stuck in some of the locks though (past bad experience!!) We were the ones who caused the hold up at Somerton deep last summer -

well and truly stuck!

The stratford was a little tight in places last year, but that was mainly due to gates not opening fully, after this winters stoppages you shouldn't have a problem :lol: but don't quote me!

As most of you know I moor on the Bridgewater, and in the colder months we get in to the habbit of popping down to the boat after work (early finish on Fridays) to get both the fires going before we go down later...

Today I was sorting the boat out and whilst the fire was getting going I just stood back and had a look at the cut... I don't know what the hell was happening but even though there was a bit of wind about, the cut, or the ice rather, was flowing towards Manchester/Wigan really fast. I thought there was a breach at first but it must be good old Mike Webb draining off our water again!

I went to London by train from Manchester today. Raining in Manchester but below Macc it was dry and then it was on and off frozen canal. It seemed particularly cool around Rugby. Sometimes the GU was Frozen not frozen , frozen again within a few hundred yards. I don't think it was thick enough to stop the traffic anywhere though.

Mike was probably in the pub with John Whittaker celebrating today's result instead. :lol:

Well done men.

Very ironic that they're apposing this congestion charge so much that they seem to have forgotten the tolls they charge for Warbuton bridge and have done for as long as I can remember.