Boat heater (flipping chilly last night)

Pretty Funked Up

Featured Posts

Hi peeps

Has anyone had any experience with these...

http://www.sigmarine.com/SIG-DVP.html

they seem to do 2 models: P9000 and a P12000.

They do lots more than that including diesel heaters. If you look ate the fuel figures for the 9000 you will be using a 13kg cylinder a week if you leave it on 24/7

I have one of these

http://www.sigmarine.com/SIG-120.html

heating the rear of the barge it is quite fiddly to keep it running at first as there are two adjustments to do ( Fuel and Air) and they both have to be just right otherwise it goes out.

Mine was an ex demo model and took me a while to get it sorted as I was dealing through the UK dealer and they wouldnt give me the info to let me set it up.

Contacted sig and within 24hrs I had all the info and the stove then worked a treat. ( it had been wrongly assembled in the UK! )

If you go for diesel the Kabola Old Dutch is very good and idiot proof.........

J

Hi thanks but getting the diesel all the way from the tank is not really an option and theres no room for a dedicated tank and there so much extra work involded for the BSS with 2 tanks anyway.

Propane heater with flue is what i wondering about (hoping the flu stops the condensation problem normally incurred with this type of heat).

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

Hi thanks but getting the diesel all the way from the tank is not really an option and theres no room for a dedicated tank and there so much extra work involded for the BSS with 2 tanks anyway.

Propane heater with flu is what i wondering about.

I ran my feed for the old dutch 12m through the boat wasnt a problem.

I posted more to let you know about the service from Sig than anything else.

They do lots more than that including diesel heaters. If you look ate the fuel figures for the 9000 you will be using a 13kg cylinder a week if you leave it on 24/7

That sounds pretty good to me, as leaving a diesel heater on all week say an Eberspacher Hydronc D5 will use around 10 litres per day or about £60 per week. Whereas the last 13kg Calor gas I bought 2 weeks ago was £21. I see that the 9000 has an output of 5500-7500btu, how does that compare with the 5Kwh of the Eber. I don't know what the calculation is to convert.

Roger

That sounds pretty good to me, as leaving a diesel heater on all week say an Eberspacher Hydronc D5 will use around 10 litres per day or about £60 per week. Whereas the last 13kg Calor gas I bought 2 weeks ago was £21. I see that the 9000 has an output of 5500-7500btu, how does that compare with the 5Kwh of the Eber. I don't know what the calculation is to convert.

Roger

Fortunately for us, we have more choice of where we can buy our diesel than you do Roger, at 10l per day it would cost me nearer £36 at todays prices. I don't know where the original poster boats but it is something to consider.

Fortunately for us, we have more choice of where we can buy our diesel than you do Roger, at 10l per day it would cost me nearer £36 at todays prices. I don't know where the original poster boats but it is something to consider.

What are the prices down there at the moment, as I have got to come that way to visit my little boat soon.

Roger

What are the prices down there at the moment, as I have got to come that way to visit my little boat soon.

Roger

Do you mean Suffolk of Napton area? I know a place in Gt Yarmouth where you can buy it quite legitimately at a good rate making a self declaration.

Roger

Roger

Very roughly 3500 BTU = 1kw The true figure is 3400 and something not enough that you would notice the difference in 1kw of heat. :lol:

Edited by Big COL

Roger

Very roughly 3500 BTU = !kw The true figure is 3400 and something not enough that you would notice the difference in !kw of heat. :lol:

Thanks Colin, that would suggest that the gas heater has considerably less than half the output of the Eber, which then would then make it much closer to the cost of diesel per Kw. A much less attractive alternative than it first appeared.

Roger

Do you mean Suffolk of Napton area? I know a place in Gt Yarmouth where you can buy it quite legitimately at a good rate making a self declaration.

My little boat is at Reedham, but Gt Yarmouth is close enough. How much is 'a good rate'>

Roger

Roger

13kg for £21 , god thats a lot, i paid 15 quid for a 19kg yesterday.

Diesel is 75p/ltr here - and this will be running along side my Eber. 4kW (which just cant cope)

To get diesel feed it would go through metal bulk head, 2 bedrooms + bulkheads, bathroom so shower whould need re tiling after etc, granite kitchen (which on no way can be dismantled), all the seats and then finally on to the spot where it will sit (around 16metres or so).

However there is a gas feed already in the corner and i was planning on getting refillable bottle and use autogas for approx. £13 a bottle.

PS. £15 for 19kg sounds like a very good deal - wheres that?

Thanks Colin, that would suggest that the gas heater has considerably less than half the output of the Eber, which then would then make it much closer to the cost of diesel per Kw. A much less attractive alternative than it first appeared.

Roger

My little boat is at Reedham, but Gt Yarmouth is close enough. How much is 'a good rate'>

Roger

I will have to ring to find out. They are situated opposite the the Gorleston Lifeboat Station. I think diesel on the broads is a bit like your part of the world ripoff

Diesel is 75p/ltr here - and this will be running along side my Eber. 4kW (which just cant cope)

To get diesel feed it would go through metal bulk head, 2 bedrooms + bulkheads, bathroom so shower whould need re tiling after etc, granite kitchen (which on no way can be dismantled), all the seats and then finally on to the spot where it will sit (around 16metres or so).

However there is a gas feed already in the corner and i was planning on getting refillable bottle and use autogas for approx. £13 a bottle.

PS. £15 for 19kg sounds like a very good deal - wheres that?

You are aware of the BSS view on refill gas cylinders?

http://www.go2marine.com/category.do?no=14203

I've been running comparisons and the more i read the more i like it.

MAX OUTPUT and MAX CONSUMPTION

the P9000 has a 9000btu rating @ 453g propane per 5hrs (under 80p OR 16p/hr)

the P12000 has an 11,500btu rating @ @ 453g propane per 3.9hrs (under 80p OR 21p/hr)

compare that to the mentioned sig120 diesel heater

the sigma120 has a 13,300btu rating @ 8.64 ltr/hr (fuel cost £6.39 per hour)

:lol: I'm finding it hard to believe to be honest :lol:

gonna keep digging before i get out the rubber cheque book :lol:

In a caravan shop the other day and they had free standing propane heaters quite small quite cheap under £100 are these acceptable on a boat? No mention of outside flues or anywhere to fit them.

Mike,

These chuck out huge amounts of moisture from the process of burning the gas.

You would be likely to suffer major condensation problems if you used one on board, unless you opened so many windows and hatches to negate their usefulness.

I tried to spend a Christmas once on a boat using just one of those heaters as my sole heat source. Absolute nightmare, to be honest.

Although one didn't care about it then, I'd also be concerned about bringing high pressure gas inside the cabin. Unlike bottles in your gas locker, if there is a leak, say where the regulator plugs on to the bottle, the results could be disastrous.

Alan

Those circa£100 items are what got me off in the propane direction, but no flue means the water vapour stays inside the boat. Theyre cheap though and seem to throw out lots of heat and not too bad on consumption, but they arent very pretty :lol: although i did find a S/Steel version somewhere.

Then checking the small print (on a caravan site i saw this) "Not suitable for boats or caravans." which left me a tad confused as to why they were selling them :lol:

compare that to the mentioned sig120 diesel heater

the sigma120 has a 13,300btu rating @ 8.64 ltr/hr (fuel cost £6.39 per hour)

:lol: I'm finding it hard to believe to be honest :lol:

gonna keep digging before i get out the rubber cheque book :lol:

Those are the 24hr figures not one hour so its 0.15L/hr on low and 0.36L/hr

so thats 6.39 a day at 73ppl if running on high, mine is on low most of the time = £2.65 a day.........

Julian

In a caravan shop the other day and they had free standing propane heaters quite small quite cheap under £100 are these acceptable on a boat? No mention of outside flues or anywhere to fit them.

Heaters with a self contained gas bottle are not allowed on boats as the BSS requires gas cylinders to be kept in lockers that self drain overboard. I believe gas appliances also have to have balanced flues (with the exception of cookers) although I am not entirely sure.

Roger

Very roughly 3500 BTU = 1kw The true figure is 3400 and something not enough that you would notice the difference in 1kw of heat. :lol:

It's approx 3400 BTU per hour that is equivalent to 1KW. (Watts are Joules per second and so are also a "per time" measurement.

Chris

Heaters with a self contained gas bottle are not allowed on boats as the BSS requires gas cylinders to be kept in lockers that self drain overboard. I believe gas appliances also have to have balanced flues (with the exception of cookers) although I am not entirely sure.

The heater I was chatting about though can be bulkhead mounted and added into current gas system via low pressure reg..

http://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/Winter-Wa...ic-Boat-Heater/