chain it down

Rivers

Featured Posts

Last night in Linslade one boater had her doors kicked in,another heard the chain on his generator being cut gave chase but they got away allthough he got the gene back and for some reason they nicked our hose reel only to dump it just round the corner,so watch out if your in the area.this seems to happen yearly with generators, nick it and wait for the new one next year............

The bigger the chain the better as well...

Some poor chap a couple of pontoons down from us had his genny nicked a few days ago. He had it down the bottom of the pontoon, thinking that people would have to walk past his boat to get to it.

OK 'til 3am. They must have walked straight past my 3KVA unit, solidly chained to good bits of steel, then again past a neighbour's 1200W unit to his, which wasn't fastened down and was easy enough to lift as well.

I'd offered to lend him my anchor chain but he thought it'd be okay.

The bigger the chain the better as well...

Some poor chap a couple of pontoons down from us had his genny nicked a few days ago. He had it down the bottom of the pontoon, thinking that people would have to walk past his boat to get to it.

OK 'til 3am. They must have walked straight past my 3KVA unit, solidly chained to good bits of steel, then again past a neighbour's 1200W unit to his, which wasn't fastened down and was easy enough to lift as well.

I'd offered to lend him my anchor chain but he thought it'd be okay.

They want to be chucked in the cut with a heavy weight round there neck

Hey dont you dare mention punishment on here :lol:

A good talking to is all they need :lol:

Apparently you can still hear underwater but not quite as well, so a talking to they shall have. I of course would give them the right to reply. :lol:

It's not just shiny and expensive equipment that goes walkies... some <insert your favourite swear word here> listed the shaft off the top of our boat.

It wasn't new by any means, and it started to go a bit "soft" in places but still did the trick of cleaning the prop and for other tennis ball rescuing missions :lol:

I've mentioned this before but:

A couple of years ago some scrote nicked a tub of plants off our NB roof in the night. We originally had four, but this reduced it to three. We put it down to experience and had the three up there all summer. We tied up at the same spot in late summer, and when we awoke we found four tubs back on the roof. The one that had been borrowed was in excellent order, and had clearly been looked after. I am convinced that it was somebody who knows us.

Had my centre line nicked in Chester one night - while I was asleep on board. No sign of it being cut, so assume it was a boater. Didn't notice until approaching the first lock single handed - went to grab the rope - bugger - where did THAT go??!!! (insert appropriate extra expletives as I ended up across cut)

But if there is someone out there who wants to borrow and nurture some sad-looking plant tubs and deliver 'em back next summer, tell me where to moor!

I was stood in the hatches a few years ago, having my last smoke, just above the Chester 3 and saw 2 blokes who had obviously spent too much time in the pub, lift a fold up bike off the top of a boat, and chuck it in the cut before running off giggling. Why? :lol:

I was stood in the hatches a few years ago, having my last smoke, just above the Chester 3 and saw 2 blokes who had obviously spent too much time in the pub, lift a fold up bike off the top of a boat, and chuck it in the cut before running off giggling. Why? :lol:

Probably for the same reason the Phantom Bin Kicker goes around every town centre in the country at weekends kicking over Bins and even Keep Left Bollards if he/she comes across them on the way to the Kebab shop

Ah, that'll be the phantom bike-rider who took a bike off my roof and left me a giggly note on a beer mat telling me so! He would've found out in about 10 yards that the wheel was knackered. As it was nowhere to be found on the road later, I assume it is rusting in Gas St Basin...

Had my centre line nicked in Chester one night - while I was asleep on board. No sign of it being cut, so assume it was a boater. Didn't notice until approaching the first lock single handed - went to grab the rope - bugger - where did THAT go??!!! (insert appropriate extra expletives as I ended up across cut)

But if there is someone out there who wants to borrow and nurture some sad-looking plant tubs and deliver 'em back next summer, tell me where to moor!

Last time we were in Chester an Ownerships boat left its moorings, went less than 100 yards for water, came back and another boater had nicked his mooring pins he had left ready for when he came back.

Last time we were in Chester an Ownerships boat left its moorings, went less than 100 yards for water, came back and another boater had nicked his mooring pins he had left ready for when he came back.

The same happened to me earlier this year at the Black Lion on the Caldon Cut. I had left my mooring pins in while I moved two boats length to fill up with water, by the time I came back my pins had gone. There were two boats present, one of which was not occupied and no one else had been in sight at all. The guy on the one boat, when asked if he new anything, denied all knowledge. I'm still 99% certain he took them, but how can you prove it. Should I have had the cops out for two mooring pins?

Last night in Linslade one boater had her doors kicked in,another heard the chain on his generator being cut gave chase but they got away allthough he got the gene back and for some reason they nicked our hose reel only to dump it just round the corner,so watch out if your in the area.this seems to happen yearly with generators, nick it and wait for the new one next year............

Your kidding-NOT LINSLADE-where? is it near Tescos? or Soulbury Lock-I am getting sick of this-as I have things stolen too but in Rugby-what should we do? We should have a neiborhood boat watch BUT because stupid BW keep moving us on we cant establish anything-what about the wardens-what does Geoff say? They should be proposing safety-if we dont feel safe on the canals whats the point-somoone took my solar light a young girl and I ran after her and simple took it back-WE MUST FIGHT BACK-maybe CCTV? security, security security...can we come up with something? :lol:

Ps anyone seen the welsh guy John or Gerrard in a cruiser???

Any suggestions with solar panles?

I'm about to invest every penny i have in solar panels but am worried for their safety.

DON'T, DON'T, Don't - I just spent my entire redundancy payout on 21 flexible, bendable, glue-on, walk-on pretty looking things that when stuck on the roof and attached to batteries perform exceptionally well, and certainly can't be stolen, as artwork on the roof, but do bugger-all for my batteries/'leccy. Seriously, any quoted/rated output you immediately divide by half, and any supposed "average" quoted you can again divide by 4, or your maximum measured output divide by 10. Installed my panels early July. 21 x 70 watt panels - first off, they give 70 watts into 17.6 volts, bollocks, never heard of a 17.6 volt battery bank! They give 4.1 amps, so it says on the back - maximum I get on a dead short is around 3.5 amps. 3,5 amps at 12v is 42 watts. So, a "70 watt" solar panel is an adequate 35 watt solar panel. Now "real" output - maximum I got out of the whole array was just over 60 amps - that happened twice, for about 10 minutes a time. The "average", or normal - as in 13 days out of evrey two weeks is 15 to 20 amps. On the absolute best summers day I got nearly 600 amp hours out of them - once. The "average" normal summers day produced around 80 amp/hours - like running your engine for an hour! Cost? £11,136.00!!! That's right - eleven grand!!!

Please think VERY carefully before you carry out the expense!!

Mitch.

DON'T, DON'T, Don't - I just spent my entire redundancy payout on 21 flexible, bendable, glue-on, walk-on pretty looking things that when stuck on the roof and attached to batteries perform exceptionally well, and certainly can't be stolen, as artwork on the roof, but do bugger-all for my batteries/'leccy. Seriously, any quoted/rated output you immediately divide by half, and any supposed "average" quoted you can again divide by 4, or your maximum measured output divide by 10. Installed my panels early July. 21 x 70 watt panels - first off, they give 70 watts into 17.6 volts, bollocks, never heard of a 17.6 volt battery bank! They give 4.1 amps, so it says on the back - maximum I get on a dead short is around 3.5 amps. 3,5 amps at 12v is 42 watts. So, a "70 watt" solar panel is an adequate 35 watt solar panel. Now "real" output - maximum I got out of the whole array was just over 60 amps - that happened twice, for about 10 minutes a time. The "average", or normal - as in 13 days out of evrey two weeks is 15 to 20 amps. On the absolute best summers day I got nearly 600 amp hours out of them - once. The "average" normal summers day produced around 80 amp/hours - like running your engine for an hour! Cost? £11,136.00!!! That's right - eleven grand!!!

Please think VERY carefully before you carry out the expense!!

Mitch.

As someone who is in the early stages of thinking about buying a barge, I thank you for that info, even though it ****** on my chips a bit.

Just for info - my mooring is properly South facing - maximum sun. Granted, the panels are "flat" on the roof, (slightly curved to the shape), and obviously I can't "adjust" them once a week to get best advantage. Other blokes are perfectly happy with a single 120 watt glass panel - yes, it will run your 12v compressor fridge in summer - not a "3 way fridge" - and possibly a car radio, but if that's all you need, then a panel should work O.K. I was being a bit daft - am all electric, no gas and only diesel for hot water, heating and engine. 11 grand solar does not run the washer/drier, dishwasher, electric cooking hob, water filtration systems, (yes, I filter canal water down to drinking purity), microwave and my toy train set. Think I was expectin' a bit much outta the solar system. :lol:

11 grand solar does not run the washer/drier, dishwasher, electric cooking hob, water filtration systems, (yes, I filter canal water down to drinking purity), microwave and my toy train set.

Think I was expectin' a bit much outta the solar system. :lol:

Hmm - you certainly were! You would need a very large area of panels and a huge bank of batteries to power that lot, a lot bigger than most boat roofs.

Ah, that'll be the phantom bike-rider who took a bike off my roof and left me a giggly note on a beer mat telling me so! He would've found out in about 10 yards that the wheel was knackered. As it was nowhere to be found on the road later, I assume it is rusting in Gas St Basin...
It could have been the University student who, once a month used to go to a regular all night party. On his way home he untied every boat in the basin at Cambrian Wharf and anybody else unlucky to be moored along his route home. Local BW guys went as far as to visit him at home and berate him.(the unofficial version is more physical) and he apologised. The next all nighter had the same result. When we caught him he just giggled and staggered on his way!!

139.gifHave a look at these, not as off topic as it might seem at 1st.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=226563

Not waterproof but a small perspex box or such should take care of that, no openings rquired for cables etc:.

I've just bought one of these, not quite got the hang of it yet, but if you had one of these running [off its own 2 x AAA batts] and one of those lights that come on when movement is sensed [if moored in darker areas, unlike town centres, marinas etc:] I could see a security use other than just recording your cruising.

I want it so I can recall where I've been as I'm a newby and not yet familiar with all the waterways, so I can check it against where I started and where I end up.

152.gifIf someone tries to knick anything of our boat and I catch them, I hope they can swim well, thieving b*stards. See no point in reporting them, it only costs the tax payer more money, especially if they go to jail. Not getting free B&B on my account!

Regards all

John

It could have been the University student who, once a month used to go to a regular all night party. On his way home he untied every boat in the basin at Cambrian Wharf and anybody else unlucky to be moored along his route home. Local BW guys went as far as to visit him at home and berate him.(the unofficial version is more physical) and he apologised. The next all nighter had the same result. When we caught him he just giggled and staggered on his way!!

Strip him down and tie him to a tree, see if he's laughing come morning.