ANOTHER new marina

dor

Featured Posts

A marina for over 200 boats is being planned for Wrenbury Heath. This is just up the Llangollen from the new marina at Swanley which holds over 300 boats.

This is already a busy canal, with a number of locks in this part. Also there is the lift bridge in Wrenbury itself which can cause a lot of chaos to both boaters and road traffic.

There are the usual claims for boosting employment and tourism but I really wonder how many more marina can be supported in a relatively small area. As well as the one mentioned at Swanley, nearby there is one soon to open at Church Minshull for about 200 boats and another one at Tattenhall for 350 boats.

Anyone planning a trip up the Llangollen next year would be advised to stay away between June & September!

But Dor is quite right, the Llangollen canal is extremely busy in the summer.

We went up a couple of years ago and had waits in excess of two hours for the locks are New Martin and at Grindley Brook on the way back down.

I know being on the canal isn't about racing around, but it can get frustrating for those on hire boats who have to be back at base by a specified time.

It's a bit of surprise there's a perceived need as, at least during summer 08, there was still loads of free space at Whixall and Swanley.

And that is before the new marinas at Church Minshull and Tattenhall, both nearby, add another 500 berths.

There's a pub just north of Cosgrove on the GU (The Navigation Inn) and next to it is (by the winding hole) is a notice stating "New Marina to be built here soon".

Chris

There's also another planned for 35 boats at Grove lock near Leighton Buzzard and there's talk of yet a third at Pitstone.

Edited by koukouvagia

A marina for over 200 boats is being planned for Wrenbury Heath. This is just up the Llangollen from the new marina at Swanley which holds over 300 boats.

....As well as the one mentioned at Swanley, nearby there is one soon to open at Church Minshull for about 200 boats and another one at Tattenhall for 350 boats.

The onset of recession might make the transition from aspiration to reality extend somewhat....

Is there really that much demand anyway?

"why hooray ?"

Because I hate crawling along at 1mph past miles of moored boats. Quite apart from having to slow down, I hate the invasive feeing of being in other people's 'back gardens'.

And yet you don't mind sitting in a hole, rubbing fenders with your neighbours?

I would only moor online, for exactly the same reason.

This is already a busy canal, with a number of locks in this part. Also there is the lift bridge in Wrenbury itself which can cause a lot of chaos to both boaters and road traffic.

There are the usual claims for boosting employment and tourism but I really wonder how many more marina can be supported in a relatively small area. As well as the one mentioned at Swanley, nearby there is one soon to open at Church Minshull for about 200 boats and another one at Tattenhall for 350 boats.

Anyone planning a trip up the Llangollen next year would be advised to stay away between June & September!

I don't understand. Moorings are generally as rare as rocking horse poo. Many on this forum complain about the lack of them yet others would like to prevent marinas from being constructed. The advice usually given here when someone asks about buying a boat is usually "Get a mooring first - they are hard to find". I'm with WJM. Crawling past miles of boats is annoying.

I suspect BW would like to see a massive reduction in online mooring, achieved by a swing towards marina moorings. By doing this, they just collect a small number of large connection fees instead of the current labour-intensive system of policing and collecting hundreds of small fees for each online mooring.

For many people, let us be honest, they are not on the canals through any interest or love of the system (which probably excludes everyone on this forum). For them it is nothing more than low cost housing. This has happened because of the obscene cost of conventional housing. BW do not have any social housing remit and so they would be right to seek to address this change and protect the amenity use of their system. I would much rather see a low income family living on their boat in a marina with electricity and water and security, than eking out a fraught existence on a towpath in the middle of nowhere - as so many now do.

Edited by WJM

And yet you don't mind sitting in a hole, rubbing fenders with your neighbours?

I would only moor online, for exactly the same reason.

Most linear moorings are in groups not in single isolated places with room for only one boat so you are still rubbing fenders.

Linear online moorings are less secure than marina ones. What's the dfifference between sitting "in a hole" and sitting in a "ditch"? you can use perjorative terms for almost any situatiom.

"Having spent 10 years, online, in themiddle of nowhere, I can assure you that there was no "eking out a fraught existence.""

I am glad you found it enriching. I like to think that as a species we are constantly evolving and improving our 'lot' in life. If more and more people are deciding to live on the canals, I would like to see a rise in the general standards of living for those that make that choice.

Edited by WJM

That's sound advice anyway, regardless of the presence of extra moorings. However, if the new marina(s) take boat traffic away from the other bits of the network where I'm cruising, then I'm in favour!

I don't understand. Moorings are generally as rare as rocking horse poo.

I don't think that is the case when you look at marina moorings. Cheap online moorings are rare I agree, and that is what most people are looking for when they say moorings are hard to find.

Because I hate crawling along at 1mph past miles of moored boats.
Oh come on, no-one slows down to 1 mph. You are lucky if they are doing less than 3.
Quite apart from having to slow down, I hate the invasive feeing of being in other people's 'back gardens'.
On the contrary, I find it interesting going past moorings and looking at the boats (without peering in through the windows). If people select an online mooring, they do expect boats to go past!

I would much rather see a low income family living on their boat in a marina with electricity and water and security, than eking out a fraught existence on a towpath in the middle of nowhere - as so many now do.

But these moorings don't want liveaboards, they want people with nice shiny boats with nothing on the roof who daren't raise a screwdriver to their boat unless they are accompanied by the (expensive) marina maintenance man. Try looking at some of the marina's T&Cs.

Congestion - I would guess that most new boats are built for housing not boating. I would bet the total number of boating boats is close to static.

"But these moorings don't want liveaboards, they want people with nice shiny boats"

Nonsense, I am aware of a very nice BW owned and managed marina which has a tiny number of official residential spaces, yet is almost entirely populated with liveaboards. This official blind-eye is really only in response to planning regulations. The marina is lovely and works very well for all involved. And a commercial operation will go where the business is, most of it being in livaboard moorings.

Edited by WJM

"why hooray ?"

Because I hate crawling along at 1mph past miles of moored boats. Quite apart from having to slow down, I hate the invasive feeing of being in other people's 'back gardens'.

who said you have to crawl along at 1mph .

even people who put slow down signs up at online mooring i pass ask for 2 mph speed , never seen signs saying 1mph please.

marina,s are ok for the people who have become to old to manage at online mooring , they need the flat walkways and easy access from the carpark , if they drop dead someone may notice they are missing and raise the alarm.

marina,s to me are the sheltered accommadation of the waterways and if i was told i must go into one ,boat for sale signs would go up.

"Having spent 10 years, online, in themiddle of nowhere, I can assure you that there was no "eking out a fraught existence.""

I am glad you found it enriching. I like to think that as a species we are constantly evolving and improving our 'lot' in life. If more and more people are deciding to live on the canals, I would like to see a rise in the general standards of living for those that make that choice.

I find your assumption that my "general standard of living" was any less than yours rather offensive (and definitely ignorant).

My, and my family's, standard of living was enhanced by living on-line and we certainly manged with the same "mod-cons" that most "boating estate" residents enjoyed.

The quality of life has certainly, if not fallen, become harder to sustain, now we've moved ashore and would have done so, had we done the unthinkable, and moved into the boating equivalent of Coronation street.

And a commercial operation will go where the business is, most of it being in livaboard moorings.

And do they have planning permission for more than a very small number of liveaboards? They may get away with it at the moment, but sooner or later the councils will get wise to losing out on a large wad of council tax.

The average age of boaters on the canal is noticeably high. (I have not seen statistics, but have observed it). The younger generation, quite rightly, have greater expectations of comforts and facilities, mainly as a result of the efforts of the preceding generation. If we want a new generation on the canals, standards must rise to meet this expectation. I like to think that the human condition is one of constant improvement. Because it was fine for an older generation does not make it acceptable for the next. To think that the old standards are still ok is a dangerous trap.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"planning permission for more than a very small number of liveaboards? They may get away with it at the moment"

That was my very point, they do 'get away' with it and have done for many many years. And I dont see any reason why it might change. In fact, in time, they may achieve one of those default changes of planning based on the continuous use.

Edited by WJM

Most linear moorings are in groups not in single isolated places with room for only one boat so you are still rubbing fenders.

Linear online moorings are less secure than marina ones. What's the dfifference between sitting "in a hole" and sitting in a "ditch"? you can use perjorative terms for almost any situatiom.

Having moored, spent time and lived in both marina and online moorings there is no comparison for me, online moorings win, with only the securty of a marina mooring possibly being attractive to me nowadays.

I find meeting other boaters (proper full time ones, not nessessarily the 'weekend Admiral' types, who seem more obsessed by what polish gives a good gloss to the paintwork/brass than the realities of full time boating) one of the attractions of online boating/mooring. JMO of course :lol:

Paul