stoke bruene locks

purplehaze

Featured Posts

No pictures, but this morning when I left the boat I reckon it was a good 6" above normal level and around the junction very, very muddy looking.

Just about to post this notification & spotted its already done!!

Brothers aboard Silkwood this week & was heading through the tunnels this way.

Not been able to contact him on his mobile yet.

Hopefully he hasnt got stuck here :lol:

I'm genuinely surprised that you can get enough excess water at Cosgrove, as to make it difficult (or dangerous ?) to work the lock.

Never heard of anything like that before TBH.

Alan

We were stopped at Cosgrove in the 1998 floods.

The lock gates were chained up, with all paddles opened at both ends, as well as all the overflow paddles on the bank.

That stopped the upper pound, at Cosgrove, from overtopping the banks and presumably flooding the lower end of the village, but at the SB end of the pound the level had been well over the top. Some boats were left either high and dry or sunk!

I'm genuinely surprised that you can get enough excess water at Cosgrove, as to make it difficult (or dangerous ?) to work the lock.

Never heard of anything like that before TBH.

Alan

It was quite difficult to work Cosgrove Lock when we went through earlier this year. The Tove was flooding in below Stoke Bruerne flight (which I imagine is happening again today) and was flowing over the gates at Cosgrove. It wasn't dangerous at Cosgrove then, just extremely difficult to get the gates open; I suspect it's higher today than it was then. The current through the bridge half a mile south of the locks can get quite interesting in such conditions too.

Just about to post this notification & spotted its already done!!

Brothers aboard Silkwood this week & was heading through the tunnels this way.

Not been able to contact him on his mobile yet.

Hopefully he hasnt got stuck here :lol:

pretty sure he passed us at Weedon , earlier today

No pictures, but this morning when I left the boat I reckon it was a good 6" above normal level and around the junction very, very muddy looking.

Odd how these things work out isn't it? I came up through Cosgrove lock and Stoke Bruene on Friday and the pound between was down by over a foot from normal level and they were pumping water in at both ends of the pound. There was quite a lot of rain Saturday night though.

pretty sure he passed us at Weedon , earlier today

How spooky is that..im just reading your update & ready to relay by text to my brother that he had been spotted by yourselves when he text me saying he was ok but wet!!

THey have moored up for much of the day & have not even reached Bugbrooke yet. He also stated the church that lies low has the churchyard under some water :lol: