Mice in the attic

RLWP

Featured Posts

We moved Tawny Owl from Welsh Road to Hatton top lock yesterday, including a PB up Hatton of 2hrs 15min - Hurrah.

As I was opening up the boat I noticed a load of polystyrene beads on the sofa in the front cabin. These had cascaded down from the gap between the roof and wall lining (the capping is removed at the moment). This looks like shredded polystyrene sheet - our boat insulation.

When under way I could see more of these beads, just a few, around the secound mushroom vent from the front. My guess is some damn mouse has been in through the vent, crawled 15 feet to the front cabin then carved out a nest in our roof!

Any thoughts on catching it?

Richard

I wonder what it will think when it finds the world outside has changed completely?

Edited by RLWP

The only thing with poison is if it dies somewhere on the boat, smelly time, better of with a peanut butter baited snap trap at least you know you got the critter!

Yes, when poisoned rats died under the office floor at Longbridge they would come and drill a small hole. They would then spray in industrial perfume to mask the smell.

Richard

We moved Tawny Owl from Welsh Road to Hatton top lock yesterday, including a PB up Hatton of 2hrs 15min - Hurrah.

As I was opening up the boat I noticed a load of polystyrene beads on the sofa in the front cabin. These had cascaded down from the gap between the roof and wall lining (the capping is removed at the moment). This looks like shredded polystyrene sheet - our boat insulation.

When under way I could see more of these beads, just a few, around the secound mushroom vent from the front. My guess is some damn mouse has been in through the vent, crawled 15 feet to the front cabin then carved out a nest in our roof!

Any thoughts on catching it?

Richard

I wonder what it will think when it finds the world outside has changed completely?

Dynamite works well but chocolate is a favorite of mice, try that.

Poison, now, before it gets a taste for your wiring insulation. There is no cute mouse friendly way to deal with it, it must die! HOOO HA HA HA HA HA!

Do you have any thoughts on where to lay bait, oh great Shikari?

Feed it! When it gets all nice and happy and feeling well fed you will have a better chance of catching it!

Alternatively, you can always get the ultimate deterrent!

I'm not going to start running back and fore to the boat feeding any damn mouse. And, in my experience doing the same for a cat is even worse!

Richard

Feed it! When it gets all nice and happy and feeling well fed you will have a better chance of catching it!

Alternatively, you can always get the ultimate deterrent!

gcdanger.jpg

The problem we had with our last cat was she used to bring the mice in to play with, then let them go when she got bored! :lol:

The new cat has only brought one in and that was dead so he's at least got the right idea!

Do you have any thoughts on where to lay bait, oh great Shikari?

Not Shikari but....

We've had success with chocolate in humane traps before (releasing said stuffed mouses on drive back home, i.e. long way from cut) - but humane traps won't be if you're not there to empty them.

I'd therefore recommend chocolate on snappy traps. Do it soon coz they breed quick.

I'm guessing you can't easily get at where the suspected nest is, but they'll be roving around looking for food, so I'd place baited traps at various points around the boat and see what you get.

Poison is more cruel than baited snappy traps but it has the advantage of potentially killing the whole mouse family in one go, rather than one at a time.

Dead mice smell a whole lot more than you'd think from their size (even sometimes through brick walls) but it does fade and disappear after a few weeks/months (unfortunately, yes - sometimes months !).

If you really think that there's a big nest, you might have to take down some of the roof lining to take a look see - a total pain but at least you would then know and be able to deal with it.

I'd also check carefully around the mushroom vents to try and figure how they got/are getting in and out - coz that will probably need sealig up too. They can get in through amazingly small holes sometimes !

Good luck with it !

Edited by US Marines

It's simple.

Submerge boat, then grab mouse as it tries to swim away.

I don't know why you guys make everything so complicated.

Alan

Oh great, now I have to contact BW to get some dredging done!

Not Shikari but....

We've had success with chocolate in humane traps before (releasing said stuffed mouses on drive back home, i.e. long way from cut) - but humane traps won't be if you're not there to empty them.

I'd therefore recommend chocolate on snappy traps. Do it soon coz they breed quick.

I'm guessing you can't easily get at where the suspected nest is, but they'll be roving around looking for food, so I'd place baited traps at various points around the boat and see what you get.

Poison is more cruel than baited snappy traps but it has the advantage of potentially killing the whole mouse family in one go, rather than one at a time.

If you really think that there's a big nest, you might have to take down some of the roof lining to take a look see - a total pain but at least you would then know and be able to deal with it.

I'd also check carefully around the mushroom vents to try and figure how they got/are getting in and out - coz that will probably need sealig up too. They can get in through amazingly small holes sometimes !

Good luck with it !

I think that you are right with chocolate baited mousetraps. I'll try one in the grille under the vent and perhaps one in a box on the roof. Beyond that perhaps one or two in the cabin. There shouldn't be too big a colony, the boat was at Welsh road less than two weeks and I haven't seen any signs before that.

With that the great white hunter goes off to catch his fingers in mousetraps and lament the loss of good chocolate.

Richard

Snakes are right out! Hope it isn't bats....

The problem we had with our last cat was she used to bring the mice in to play with, then let them go when she got bored!

Oh he does that alright but very few escape and if they do, they quickly find a way of getting ashore and beyond his reach - sometimes with some kindly human intervention!

By ultimate detterent, are you referring to the moggy or the overhead electrical power lines?

I think 'GC' (Ginger Cat) is a deterrent the power lines are rather more permanent . . .

Seriously now, I personaly would put four or five baited traps ( cheap enough )down with possibly varying baits, cheese ,raisons etc. Should you be lucky enough to catch the blighter I would then leave the traps baited for a couple of weeks more to make sure you've got it or them. In the meantime look out for their telltale droppings.

You need one of these

24mdc04.jpg

ours is better than any cat at catching the little blighters.

My sister has one of those. It isn't interested in mice, only swans. It also doesn't understand water. On one occasion it threw itself overboard making a direct line for a swan. Fortunately it didn't get far beacause if the lead tied to the cabin door.

Richard

It is going to be very difficult to site a trap if they are in the roof space. Have you considered one of these ultrasonic gizmos - makes a very high pitched noise that drives them mad, allegedly causes them to pack up and leave quietly.