Kestrel Batery Management

dave_2A_

Featured Posts

Someone asked me if a Kestrel Battery Management system would run two banks of batteries today. Never heard of it, and Google doesn't seem to know much either! Anyone come across this system?

Sold by Acorn Engineering in Manchester. It was one of the first Alternator Controllers on the market:-

http://www.acornengineer.com/search.php?se...=+Search+%3E%3E

Someone asked me if a Kestrel Battery Management system would run two banks of batteries today. Never heard of it, and Google doesn't seem to know much either! Anyone come across this system?

I'm not familiar with the system but if it is just measuring volts with shunts for amps (as opposed to AH) then you could arrange some simply switching to measure a second bank.

Chris

Yes and no. You need a split charge system to run along side it. It won't do it alone.

The Kestrel is just an alternator controller.

Gibbo

And a hopelessly outdated one. It's been effectively obsolete since about 1993.

But yes as said above it will do two banks of batteries with a splitter (diode or relay).

I Bought one of these new for threpence ha'peny off flea bay , think the postage was as much as the unit, so i didnt expect much .... In reality though i have used it on my cruiser for the last couple of years and despite it taking a bit of time to set up correctly , it is simple , basic , but does what it says on the box.

I Bought one of these new for threpence ha'peny off flea bay , think the postage was as much as the unit, so i didnt expect much .... In reality though i have used it on my cruiser for the last couple of years and despite it taking a bit of time to set up correctly , it is simple , basic , but does what it says on the box.

My understanding of this unit is that it has no absorption stage. It simply carries out a bulk (constant current) charge to the set voltage and then switches off.

Chris

My understanding of this unit is that it has no absorption stage. It simply carries out a bulk (constant current) charge to the set voltage and then switches off.

Chris

Yes that is exactly what it does. I found also that it can be very sensitive to short voltage spikes on the positive supply, so that the momentary surge which is produced by say a water pump or fridge turning on or off can cause it to shut down before the batteries are signifcantly charged.

A friend of mine had one on his boat, but replaced it with a Sterling (yes I know, some people don't like them either). It would seem that the Kestrel was trying to over charge his batteries whilst he was cruising the Thames. Apparently each time he switched the engine back on after stopping it in the Thames Locks, the Unit started a new cycle. Eight hours of banging in full power every day did not do either his batteries or Alternator any good. During that trip he blew his alternator diodes twice. Whether it was the Kestrel unit or not, he blamed it, changed it for a Sterling, and the problem went away.

Edited by David Schweizer

I guess we will all recommend the one we happened to fit.

I fitted a Sterling PDAR digital alternator controller on my new boat and it has so far operated perfectly (18 months). The increase in charge current over not using it (it can be switched in or out of service on a remote panel) is an increase from about 27A to 52A once the battery terminal voltage exceeds the alternator's internal regulator voltage.

For wet cells you will get an amazing difference in charging current because it charges them at 14.8v rather than my alternator's 14.2v. For sealed gel and AGM, the difference will be more modest (maybe 10A more) as they must not be charged at more than 14.4v

In addition it monitors battery temperature and alternator temperature and will switch off the charging system and give a visual and audible warning plus text on the panel if anything goes outside limits. It once threw up a hot battery warning which was my fault as I had not properly tightened one of the battery leads after adding a third battery and the connector was overheating.

It also has a "slow start" to prevent overloading the engine when the engine is cold after initial start-up.

Chris

A friend of mine had one on his boat, but replaced it with a Sterling (yes I know, some people don't like them either). It would seem that the Kestrel was trying to over charge his batteries whilst he was cruising the Thames. Apparently each time he switched the engine back on after stopping it in the Thames Locks, the Unit started a new cycle. Eight hours of banging in full power every day did not do either his batteries or Alternator any good. During that trip he blew his alternator diodes twice. Whether it was the Kestrel unit or not, he blamed it, changed it for a Sterling, and the problem went away.

The older version only had a push button reset, this was later modified with an on/off swittch, which not only allows you to turn it off, but protects both the unit and alternator from faults.

The system was originally designed to be left on, but with increasing battery bank sizes and alternator improvements, the original 30s delay is now no longer adequate.

The best way is to start up the engine with it switched off, wait until the engine has warmed up and you are in a position to take a long run (say upto an hour) switch it on, when its done (green led goes out) switch it off. With normal use you shouldn't have to run it more than once a day!

Be warned that the voltage can rise to about 15.5v before it "trips" which wont do much good for anything remotely electronic let alone the batteries....My boat had one when I brought it and was effective in turning the engine room into a Hydrogen Plant.......not good.....Replaced with an Adverc and no problems for the last 13 years.......Cant sing their praises too much!!

Cheers

Gareth

Right - having established what he's got, and what he wants.............

He has two alternators - 1 x 24v for the starter battery, and 1 x 12v for the leisure batteries (just two wired as a single bank).

He's been recommended the Kestrel by a mate, but wants a single unit that will control/monitor/display the state of both the 12 & 24volt systems. I can't see him being able to use the Kestrel at all.

NOW has anyone got any ideas??

Use one of these to read the voltage

http://www.adverc.co.uk/products/measure/dcm3.asp

You can get versions that will run on either 12v or 24v and they can read voltage upto 99v

and and one of these

http://www.adverc.co.uk/products/products....=1&offset=0

To control the Alternator

You can contact the company for good honest advice to ensure a reliable system!

Cheers

Gareth