Sunken boat at bulls bridge

john the duck

Featured Posts

But even so....Who walks past someone's burnt out house and says "Pound to a penny they weren't insured."?

I hope Debbi is right and the girl, who has lost her home, was insured for her loss but, if she wasn't, I really feel for her.

She must be devastated, either way.

Poor girl. Hope she gets afloat again soon. Rallyfan may have made an inaccurate assumption re insurance - but couldn't this have been pointed out politely, without such abasiveness? I agree with him - some of the harsh posts mar this otherwise excellent forum.

Stickleback

Edited by stickleback

Pound to a penny it isn't insured!!

Obviously made comment without reading thread

More conclusion jumping crap!

Just a small edit required, cut out the 'crap' :lol:

Very articulate!!

Maybe

At least I bothered to read the whole thread!

Debbifiggy (who works for BW) clearly said that the insurance company were recovering the boat.

You jumped to a negative conclusion even though offered the facts.

Very clever!

Someone's home was destroyed by fire and morons like you make judgements and unfounded assumptions.

Articulate enough for you?

After the gentle :lol: hint go in for the kill.

Unfortunately I was not here last night but my response would have been similar to Carl's.

Carl has a way of communicating and does not suffer fools gladly.

Poor girl. Hope she gets afloat again soon. Rallyfan may have made an inaccurate assumption re insurance - but couldn't this have been pointed out politely, without such abasiveness? I agree with him - some of the harsh posts mar this otherwise excellent forum.

Stickleback

Nothing I have posted is as offensive as looking at someone's burnt out boat/home and saying "Bet they weren't insured".

That is abrasive, judgemental and, considering Debbi's earlier post, pretty thick.

"has been in the same location since late summer and looked like she had been abandoned"

The comment was reasonable given the above info and the fact that this is an open conversational free-flowing forum. A forum like this is the internet equivalent of a casual chat in the pub, lighten up.

"has been in the same location since late summer and looked like she had been abandoned"

The comment was reasonable given the above info and the fact that this is an open conversational free-flowing forum. A forum like this is the internet equivalent of a casual chat in the pub, lighten up.

The above info had been given after a BW employee had stated that the boat was insured and after the comment by Rallyfan.

My reaction would be exactly the same, if the comment had been made in a pub.

Imagine your home, a burning wreck and somebody makes that comment.

Edited by carlt

PM me but the insurance company should be recovering it very soon. However, I do not think that this would make a suitable craft for what you are planning without serious amounts of money being spent on it which would make the payback on your business rather longer than you had hoped. Also, the boat comes without a mooring.

D

Now, I am not a regular visitor here, and a less regular poster, but where in the above text is there any indication of who Debbie is or what she does for a living? :lol: :lol: I might easily have made a similar error.

I guess regular clique members all know who is who...

Chris

Edited by gbmud

Now, I am not a regular visitor here, and a less regular poster, but where in the above text is there any indication of who Debbie is or what she does for a living? :lol: :lol: I might easily have made a similar error.

I guess regular clique members all know who is who...

Chris

So you would pass a burnt out home and assume it was uninsured?

Pathetic!

My reaction to such a crass, insensitive judgement would have been the same even if Debbi hadn't posted earlier.

Somebody has lost their home!

Edited by carlt

This comment has no connection whatsoever with the unfortunate purple boat that sank on the Tesco 4-hour shoppers mooring; Scruffy old boats tied up for weeks on end on short term moorings are statistically more likely to be uninsured than others.

This comment has no connection whatsoever with the unfortunate purple boat that sank on the Tesco 4-hour shoppers mooring; Scruffy old boats tied up for weeks on end on short term moorings are statistically more likely to be uninsured than others.

Can you cite your source for this assumption?

The insurance status of someone's burnt out home is not the issue.

It is the insensitivity of anyone who makes that judgement.

So you would pass a burnt out home and assume it was uninsured?

Pathetic!

My reaction to such a crass, insensitive judgement would have been the same even if Debbi hadn't posted earlier.

Somebody has lost their home!

I know you like a good argument Carl, and I am sorry to take the wind out of your sails by apologizing for my own syntactical error; The sentence in my last post "I might easily have made a similar error" was in reference to my not assuming/knowing that Debbie had anything to do with BW and that, as far as I knew, nobody had any firm details/knowledge about this boat. It had no bearing on whether someone was insured or not or on my opinion one way or the other on the matter of insurance.

Furthermore, and for the record, I can separate in my own mind my feelings of distress at someone loosing their home through fire or anything else and my feelings about their choice of whether to insure or not. In short, I can feel sorry for someone loosing their home AND consider them misguided had they not bought insurance at the same time. As you suggested above, separate issues.

Chris

Edited by gbmud

In short, I can feel sorry for someone loosing their home AND think them misguided for not buying insurance at the same time. As you suggested above, separate issues.

Chris

Would you make the assumption that they had no insurance, though?

If so, would that assumption come out as "Pound to a penny they're not insured" or something less glib, such as "Oh I do hope they're insured, so they can get some kind of compensation, for their tragedy."?

Would you make the assumption that they had no insurance, though?

If so, would that assumption come out as "Pound to a penny they're not insured" or something less glib, such as "Oh I do hope they're insured, so they can get some kind of compensation, for their tragedy."?

Just because it was burned out? No. Why would I make such an assumption? If it were unlicensed then I might feel I had grounds to wonder. I agree, that probably makes me prejudiced, but who among us can really claim no prejudice?

I hope to god that anyone who is insured would get a payout in such circumstances, they have paid in, they deserve it. I equally hope that anyone choosing to 'self insure' (as I do with my mobile phone for example, choosing not to pay anyone else to insure it) would accept their lot, get on and not whinge. I think of insurance as gambling - i.e. is it a risk you can afford? One chooses not to insure and hopes it all comes out well. So far I am miles ahead of the game on my mobile phone example. :lol:

Chris

Some of us find humor and solace in even the most awful of circumstances. It is what makes us human!

I can laugh at my circumstances but to make nasty assumptions about someone else's, when something bad has happened to them, is not humour. It is just nasty.

What you said, in this context, is shallow, not profound.

Edited by carlt