Cost of crane out and haulage

stort_mark

Featured Posts

Know this could be a how long's a piece of string question but.....

How much does it cost to crane a 50' boat out of the water and.....

...stick it on a truck....

....and haul it 100 miles...

...and crane it back in again?

50' is 15.25 metres so presumably this requires a special trailer arrangement. I'm also assuming that this is way beyond what a Hiab can do.

50' is 15.25 metres so presumably this requires a special trailer arrangement. I'm also assuming that this is way beyond what a Hiab can do.

I am about to do this and have been quoted Out £300 Truck £900 back in £250 plus vat This is working around the boat yard having a crane in for the day and doing a few lifts I guess it depends on where you are and what faclitys ther are around you Hire a crane to come out to you and just do one lift ...guess you can kiss a grand good bye

Hi there

Probably weighs 15-17 tons. No problem for a extending trailor/truck - but Big crane

Ring around some boat yards? They will all have a contact.

Why not cruise it? I'll do it cheaper than a grand - in winter

Alex

Hi,

Thee years ago I had a boat transported from Newark to Bletchley - Lift out/in each end - £180inc (£360). transportation £400incl. Tuckeys did the overland haul and were very helpful.

It would have been good to have moved it by water but a long term stoppage by BW made it difficult and petrol charges visiting it and mooring for a few months made it cheaper to take the overland option.

Everybody involved was very helpful and efficient.

Albi

Edited by LEO

Why not cruise it? I'll do it cheaper than a grand - in winter

Cool. I want to get the boat to the Chelmer & Blackwater. Presumably the sea passage through the Thames estuary and then to Maldon will be on **your** insurance.

Thee years ago I had a boat transported from Newark to Bletchley - Lift out/in each end - £180inc (£360). transportation £400incl. Tuckeys did the overland haul and were very helpful.

Thanks LEO and Boats in the Head....useful information to give a rough indication. I am guessing that the actually miles travelled is probably not as important, within a few hundred miles as the mobilisation cost.

Cool. I want to get the boat to the Chelmer & Blackwater. Presumably the sea passage through the Thames estuary and then to Maldon will be on **your** insurance.

I'm based on the Chelmer & B, when I had mine (50ft) dropped in by Cannons a few year back (2005) it cost about £600 just for the offload from the truck into the drink (went in at Paper Mill but that is no longer an option, best place to drop in now is at the Chelmsford end). Should be able to get the drop in much cheaper as I had to have extra stabilisers (cos of the wet ground/mud) etc, at Chelmsford its all concrete.

Thanks LEO and Boats in the Head....useful information to give a rough indication. I am guessing that the actually miles travelled is probably not as important, within a few hundred miles as the mobilisation cost.

Cood luck Mark which ever way you do it

We've certainly had our fair share of cranage and boat moving. Prices vary a lot all over the country, it's a good idea to get 3 or 4 quotes, and sharing a crane in a boat yard cuts costs a lot.

We're proposing to move our 10/6 wide beam @ 35 ton and another n/boat @ 19 ton from Devises to Dorset 100 miles max. The haulage alone for the 2 boats is 1500 + vat and the cranage at each end £1100 + Vat So a smidgen over 3 rgand for the job. Because our boat is 35t we need the 100t crane but lighter boats will need a lesser crane thus cheaper hire assuming the lifts do not require extended jibbing.

I have found out that 100 ton cranes are only let out on a full days hire, they'll not do single lifts or half day hire for a 100 tonner, that's from all the crane companies I've contacted in Avon: Somerset: Wiltshire: Devon.

100t crane prices range from £1100 for a 10 hour day to £1300 for an 8 hour day, so shopping around can save quite a bit. Pricing up North would possibly be keener though.

We've certainly had our fair share of cranage and boat moving. Prices vary a lot all over the country, it's a good idea to get 3 or 4 quotes, and sharing a crane in a boat yard cuts costs a lot.

We're proposing to move our 10/6 wide beam @ 35 ton and another n/boat @ 19 ton from Devises to Dorset 100 miles max. The haulage alone for the 2 boats is 1500 + vat and the cranage at each end £1100 + Vat So a smidgen over 3 rgand for the job. Because our boat is 35t we need the 100t crane but lighter boats will need a lesser crane thus cheaper hire assuming the lifts do not require extended jibbing.

I have found out that 100 ton cranes are only let out on a full days hire, they'll not do single lifts or half day hire for a 100 tonner, that's from all the crane companies I've contacted in Avon: Somerset: Wiltshire: Devon.

100t crane prices range from £1100 for a 10 hour day to £1300 for an 8 hour day, so shopping around can save quite a bit. Pricing up North would possibly be keener though.

I am assuming that a 100t crane would be massively over-spec'ed for lifting a 50' narrowboat though.

I also reckon that once the recession kicks in, there'll be less of the "we don't get out of bed for...." and "we only do...." statements from companies.

I am assuming that a 100t crane would be massively over-spec'ed for lifting a 50' narrowboat though.

I also reckon that once the recession kicks in, there'll be less of the "we don't get out of bed for...." and "we only do...." statements from companies.

A 100 ton crane could lift a 50 ton boat if it was a straight lift and no jibbing out. Generally a 70 ton crane is used for standard narrowboats 18 to 20 ton. Basically a 100 ton crane doesn't do what it suggests and that's lift 100 tonnes, you would need a 250 tone crane for that.

That depends on the reach. We have to use a 70t crane for lifting Cruisers because he can only set up a relatively long way from the water.

It would also struggle lifting my n/b at 11.5 ton unless the set up was just right.

Tony

That depends on the reach. We have to use a 70t crane for lifting Cruisers because he can only set up a relatively long way from the water.

It would also struggle lifting my n/b at 11.5 ton unless the set up was just right.

Tony

Yes, I was assuming a very small reach at both ends. How long's your boat?

Yes, I was assuming a very small reach at both ends. How long's your boat?

The boat is 60 f/t X 10/6 It is possible to lift with a 70 tonner but just a direct lift, jibbing and swinging it on a 70 ton would be on it's limit, so we have to use the next size up which is the 100t

I think I right is saying that when a crane is rated at say 100 tonnes the weight of the crane is inclusive in that figure. So if the crane weight 40 tonnes it will lift 60 max.

The further the centre of the crane is from the centre of the boat, dramatically drops the weight the crane can carry for each metre extended the weight doubles expidentially.

We had a failed lift with a 70 ton crane 3 years ago, ended up costing us £2,000 extra, so just not worth risking again.

seems very heavy, are you sure? how long is your boat? for an 18m boat and assuming 3.3m beam, 0.5m average draft and 15m effective length (equivalent box) it only comes to about 25tonnes.

The weight of our boat has been debated on here already, it does weigh 35T Sparrow crane driver said his scales were accurate to 2 kilos per 100 ton When it first came out the water 3 years ago with the 70 toner it weighed 32 tonnes and not completely out of the water, that's when the alarms went off LOL

When sparrows craned it out a week later it was something between 35 and 36 tonnes.

The boat has quite a deep draught, I can get 5 paving slabs thick under the floor, it's also a slipper stern and chined.

One of the boffins on here recalculated it and it came out right at around 35T

A 100 ton crane could lift a 50 ton boat if it was a straight lift and no jibbing out. Generally a 70 ton crane is used for standard narrowboats 18 to 20 ton. Basically a 100 ton crane doesn't do what it suggests and that's lift 100 tonnes, you would need a 250 tone crane for that.

All depends on the reach, at work we have just had to use a 1000 ton crane to lift out a 40ton bridge beam from over the Paddington Arm!

Tim

Which bridge was that? I can only think of two and both are busy roads.

Two abandoned railway bridges next to the old power station at Acton.

BTW we also took out a footbridge over the River Lea in Hackney last week, also using a 1000 tone crane.

Tim