Lockgate Refleks stove vs Solid Fuel

Robbo

Featured Posts

Hello,

I like the look of the Lockgate Refleks stove, but I'm a bit reluctant in getting one. If you have one can you give me your opinions for and against.

Is it more of a radiator type heat or real fire heat?

Does it have a diesel type smell when on?

I know it's more expensive to run than solid fuel, but is it costly too run?

Does anyone know of a solid fuel stove in the style of the Reflek?

Cheers,

Robbo

Hello,

I like the look of the Lockgate Refleks stove, but I'm a bit reluctant in getting one. If you have one can you give me your opinions for and against.

Cheers,

Robbo

Can't answer your questions but I will follow the thread with interest as I've got a Refleks stove that I can't decide whether to fit or not.

If you want one in a similar style then an "arctic" type stove is a tube, black cast, though.

The bulkhead mounted charcoal burners are pretty in stainless, though.

Hello,

Cheers,

Robbo

We have a Lock gate refleks just purchased to go into Baldock, this was due to the mounting position of the stove in proximity of other fixed woodwork so we got the cold wall furnace type ( radiator) heat only I will let you know how well it works after this weekend when it is installed, over the years I have had a couple of boats fitted with the conventional Refleks units and they performed very well as to controllability/heat output as to consumption , sorry I do not remember There is a pro and anti camp for diesel heating BUT we use this type primarily due to Lise's asthma which emptying ash etc tends to aggravate, and I enjoy coming home to a warm boat and not having to mess around with the stove Chris

Edited by Baldock

We have a Lockgate. It doesn't smell, appears to use relatively little fuel (though I've never measured consumption) and keeps the saloon and galley of our 44ft boat pretty warm. Chief advantage is that you can light it and leave it -- it will run non-stop without attention and it's clean. The heat radiates from the thin-wall flue pipe and the stove itself so there isn't the same focus of heat as a solid fuel stove has.

Main disadvantage -- with ours at least -- is that it can be very fiddly to light. If it is turned up too fast too soon it will burn with a sooty yellow flame that never heats up the interior wire 'coil' enough and eventually it goes out. Best technique appears to be leaving it on the pilot setting for half hour or more then turning up a couple of clicks.

Air is drawn into the stove via numerous small holes in the walls and these can soot up so it needs a regular (once a month or so) brush out with a wire brush. Newer models may be better -- ours is probably 6-8 years old.

I like it in our small boat because of the lack of smoke and soot plus being able to leave it on safely at night. In a larger boat I think we might opt for the homeliness of a solid fuel stove.

Can't answer your questions but I will follow the thread with interest as I've got a Refleks stove that I can't decide whether to fit or not.

If you want one in a similar style then an "arctic" type stove is a tube, black cast, though.

The bulkhead mounted charcoal burners are pretty in stainless, though.

I had an Arctic in my first narrow boat. It was pretty good.

Is it possible to still buy them?

Hello,

Cheers,

Robbo

Had one ever since we have been live aboard 9 years

only get a whif of diesel when its first lit none after its properly running, occasionally if there's a strong wind

we use around a gallon a day

its on 24/7 in the winter no ash, no coal to cart always have hot water from it

never really had to turn it up above no one setting

no electric to mess around with or glow plugs (although my pluming goes here there and everywhere so i have a 12 v pump on the rads)

turn it off once a month and give it a decoke have not spent a penny on parts or maintinence in 9 years except a new collar after ripping it off on a low bridge :lol:

we have the cold furnace one the fire itself is insulated but plenty of heat off the flue

will run on kero or parafin as well

Edited by denboy

I chose, second time round, to have a lockgate and the benefits are:

Very little cleaning required!

Doesn't create dust!

Never turned it beyond '2' (up to six) as it heats the boat (57ft) up very well, especially with an eco-fan.

Now I've learnt how to light it, actually find it much easier to light than a solid fuel stove.

It's pretty - fits my modern look boat well.

No hot ash to dispose of.

Can temperature control it.

Down side:

No smell - I miss the smell of burning wood.

No noise - I miss the crackling!

Traditional coal-sellers are being put out of business (which is regrettable).