Rumour heard today!!

Graham Davis

Featured Posts

Graham

TowpathTalk reported on 11th September

</h3>

<h3>ABC acquires marina

Added: Thursday 11th of September 2008 ABC Leisure Group has acquired Blackwater Meadow Marina situated on the popular Llangollen Canal.

As a result of this acquisition ABC Leisure Group will also take over the management of a number ‘Canaltime’ narrowboats located at Blackwater Meadow Marina, Alvecote and Union Wharf.

Blackwater Meadow is a relatively new marina situated in Ellesmere, Shropshire, in a rural location, with almost 100 moorings along with the usual associated services.

Do you get Club card points there and will they be introducing a budget range of "value" boats?

Funnily enough, you can definately use your points on a canal holiday with them, as many customers do I believe. Whether you get any points for booking with them I doubt but could be wrong!

Early indications seem to be that their prices go more astronomical every year, although the boats quality are quite good I suppose, so I hope they don't manage to buy everyone out, especially as I try and avoid all companies that are part of the Tesco empire where possible.... no boating would be tragic news!

Dan

Not rumour but facts.

The Canaltime fleet will shortly be leaving Alvecote after 10 years.

A new hire fleet is being built by Narrowcraft at the moment that will operate from Alvecote by

Narrowboat Hire Ltd next year

Edited by bargeeboy

Not rumour but facts.

The Canaltime fleet will shortly be leaving Alvecote after 10 years.

A new hire fleet is being built by Narrowcraft at the moment that will operate from Alvecote by

Narrowboat Hire Ltd next year

were are they going or will they be stealth canaltimes :lol: :lol:

Aha... suddenly that emailed special offer to move boats on a one way cruise in October for peanuts makes sense!

So does taking over the management of them mean they have bought them out, or just taking over some of their operations...?

Dan

I'm confused. If Canaltime are moving out of Alvecote does this mean they are consolidating on Sawley?

I wonder if there is going to be a large scale sell off of the excess boats.

Only this summer someone told me that Canaltime are a commercial arm of BWB. Now I'm told that they are part of Tesco. The truth must be out there somewhere

:lol:

Only this summer someone told me that Canaltime are a commercial arm of BWB. Now I'm told that they are part of Tesco. The truth must be out there somewhere

:lol:

I commented that ABC Leisure Group (Alvechurch Boat Centres, Viking Afloat, Red Line Boats etc etc) were owned indirectly by Tesco, and I asked if they had now bought Canaltime as the phrase used (something like they will be operating Canaltime) didn't make it very clear.

All the best

Dan

Edited by Dan