Woman Falls into Canal

MartinClark

Featured Posts

Dramatic news today from the Bradford Telegraph and Argus:

A rescue operation was launched after a woman fell into the Leeds-Liverpool Canal at Saltaire tonight.

A water rescue unit was called to Victoria Road, Saltaire, to help get the woman out of the water.

She fell in just after 6pm today.

Fire crews from Shipley, Idle, Bingley and Cleckheaton were joined by two crews from fire stations in Leeds at the scene.

With the help of police and paramedics, they helped her from the water and she was taken by ambulance to Bradford Royal Infirmary for treatment.

A spokesman for West Yorkshire Police said: “We were called at 6.03pm to Victoria Road, Saltaire, Shipley.

“There was concern for the safety of a woman who was near the canal. It seems like she had fallen into the canal but she was quickly taken out and taken to hospital.”

So, that's six fire engines, plus police and ambulance crews. Not overkill, then?

So, that's six fire engines, plus police and ambulance crews. Not overkill, then?

You need to add the "Water Rescue Unit" to that list, too. What's one of those? Don't tell me the RNLI were caning it down the cut in one of their RIBs to this poor woman's aid as well?

I shall be more carefule in future. I'm yet to fall in myself, and I thought the worst that could happen would be a soaking. Now I'm not sure if I could handle the attention...

I guess we should just be grateful that no other emergency occurred in a similar area at the same time. It doesn't sound like there would have been any fire crews available, for a start.

I can only imagine the story was more complex than it seemed? Around here, if you go in, then you climb out. :lol:

If that many men in uniform turn up when a women falls in, I might have to make a practice of falling in too! :lol:

A surprisingly stereotyping remark from you, young Bones.

Many of our local firefighters are women.

...... Ah! women in uniform! - I might even slip in myself.....

“There was concern for the safety of a woman who was near the canal."

So did they send most of West Yorkshire's emergency services on the off-chance she would fall in? Looks like a lucky guess this time.

Do they accompany towpath runners in this area?

They have a graded response which is actioned upon the information given to them by the initial caller or callers? why do you have to slag the FB off when they try to do the right thing given information supplied to them.....if they did nothing at all then there would be uproar.

Let them do their jobs....when they arrive....if the incident is downgraded by the senior officer on scene then other units will return to their usual duties.

The Police, regularly get calls to 20-30 people fighting so they all drop evrything and run......when they get their they find kevin and vic having a bit of pushy pushy.......is that their fault or the fault of the caller? but the public see several police cars turn up for something which is nothing.

Edited by saltysplash

They have a graded response which is actioned upon the information given to them by the initial caller or callers? why do you have to slag the FB off when they try to do the right thing given information supplied to them.....if they did nothing at all then there would be uproar.

Let them do their jobs....when they arrive....if the incident is downgraded by the senior officer on scene then other units will return to their usual duties.

The Police, regularly get calls to 20-30 people fighting so they all drop evrything and run......when they get their they find kevin and vic having a bit of pushy pushy.......is that their fault or the fault of the caller? but the public see several police cars turn up for something which is nothing.

too true.

No offence intended, just a little gentle mickey-taking. I'm certainly only too well aware of how inaccurate some calls to emergency services can be....

"There's been an accident on the M1...I don't know where it was exactly...I'm about 10 miles away now on the A???...it looked nasty...no, I don't know if anyone was injured..."

Edited to add; mobile phones, don't you just love 'em.

Edited by Amduck

why do you have to slag the FB off when they try to do the right thing given information supplied to them.....if they did nothing at all then there would be uproar.

Don't think anyone is slagging off the FB. It's just a humorous tease because urban legend these days is that the emergency services do nothing or too little. I think we're all pleased that a person in distress in the canal is taken seriously.

“There was concern for the safety of a woman who was near the canal."

So did they send most of West Yorkshire's emergency services on the off-chance she would fall in? Looks like a lucky guess this time.

It seems that overkill is the norm around this part of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal....

The Yorkshire Post reported at the weekend:

"Some 30 crews, including a major rescue unit, and police were called to the canal bank at Bingley at about 3.40am following reports a man was threatening to drive into the waterway."