Thanks for NOTHING!

philandiz

Featured Posts

I would just like to share with you all something that happened last Saturday. Having left Dry Dock in Thorne (Stanilands, very nice people), we were making the journey home to our mooring at Stanley Ferry. On the Calder we broke down and had to cut the engine on the river,due to overheating. Our two small kids were in life jackets but still....we managed to drift to a side of the river where we could tie our boat to a tree. We then remained there for about an hour while I made repairs....

Eventually we set off again, knowing that we would be off the river in less than half a mile. We continued for about 5 minutes, got about 100 metres up stream of a bridge with arches, when the problem returned. This time we headed for a tree on the outside bend of the river. Unfortunately, this was a mistake as the tree was too spindly to tie a rope to which would adequately hold our 70 X 12 foot home. So, my girlfriend held a thin branch at the front of the boat, while I held a branch at the back of the boat. It was a very scarey situation to be in, more so as our 22 month baby and 5r year old was on board plus our two dogs. The engine had effectively blown and seized! Like I say we are on the outside bend of a river, upstream of a large bridge with arches. We decided to remain holding on and stay calm while I decided the next move... I was about to jump in to the water with a rope to clamber ashore and somehow secure the boat, when another boat came downstream. Saved we thought...Phew! I was very pleased when I realised it was a couple that I had spoken to at Stanley ferry, they had even been on my boat to look at our d.i.y conversion and I thought they were very friendly. We shouted to them that we had broken down and asked them if they could possibly help us with a tow to the next lock (a third of a mile upstream) to get secure on the moring landing(clinging to spindly branches dont forget).. The guy cruising looked at me and shrugged his shoulders without slowing down, he then cut his revs and then had a conversation with another man by the tiller. They both looked at their watches and one said to the other" we won´t make it if we do.....we can´t". They then looked straight ahead and increased the revs. We were gob smacked. I shouted that we were really in a bad situation. Once they cleared the bridge one shouted back that they would "send someone to help us". 10 minutes later a small river cruiser came upstream. It only had a 9 HP outboard and couldnt possibly tow us but they saw our situation and sped off around the corner to get help from those at the moorings at fairies lock. Then a red narrow boat came upstream. The owner (Trevor) didnt hesitate and immediately offered to help and tow us to safety. As he did so the cruiser sped back saying a boat was in the lock on its way down. As we came around the bend a number of people were by the lock, and a boat was about to come out...on its way to help us. We thanked them all and continued to the next lock where Trevor safely moored up and helped us securely tie our home. The whole thing was very scarey. Both the owners of the cruiser and Trevor told me that nobody in the boat they passed even mentioned we were in trouble upstream ( maybe as they were ashamed that they didnt stop to help themselves?)....

So to the owners of that boat, I would just like to say that what you did was inexcusable. You know we have two small children and still refused to help us because you were in a rush! I really hope you dont find yourselves ina similar situation...ever. Really needing help to get out of a dangerous situation, only to be ignored!!! And to the owners of the river cruiser, Trevor and those at Fairies lock that all jumped to our aide, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. It was so reassuring to get that help having just been ignored.

Yes, I am hoping to name and shame by posting this. Everyone I have told about it thinks it was a disgusting thing to do and have urged me to write this post.

Edited by NB Alnwick
Name of boat removed to protect the forum.

If I saw a boat in trouble and I judged that I was incapable of helping them or would put my boat in unacceptable danger I would quite possibly choose to pass them and seek alternative help.

Maybe by 'we won't make it' they meant they weren't confident on turning before the bridge?

It may be 'inexcusable' to not stop to help someone but in my book it is more 'inexcusable' to try something which is dangerous and may well result in damage to all concerned. Imagine what would have happened if they had tried to tow you and been totally incompetent.

Oh, and always carry and anchor if you are on a flowing river.

Edited by magnetman

No doubt the voice of the Devils Advocate will come on here spouting complete boll**ks about them not being insured etc etc

BUT in that situation I would agree if its safe then they should have offered assistance TIME is not an excuse

Chris

Sorry to hear how you were treated by that particular boater but glad you met some helpful folk who realised your predicament. I am sure the vast number of boaters would have helped you in this worrying situation.

As an aside, do you have an anchor?

Stewey

I think towing a 70x12 wide beam with a 42ft narrow boat just upstream of a bridge with arches on a river navigation would be somewhat unwise unless you really did know what you were doing which most people probably don't.

My first thought after reading your post was.....do you have an anchor? Having a mechanical breakdown on a river is not good news, but persuading the boat to approach the bank, then deploying the anchor in the shallower water should be the first thing to do, especially with young children aboard.

I can understand that you were angry because no help was given by the downstream boat, but deploying the anchor would at least have put you and your crew in a position of relative safety, and would have bought you time to wait for further assistance.

flabberghasted. That is so bad there are no words.

Even if they weren't confident in giving you a tow (which might be understandable) there was lots they could have done, even if it was simply to provide support and an emergency standby, perhaps take a rope to a secure place, give you some crew, make phone calls.

to ignore on any grounds, let alone that of time is inexcusable.

edit: or to lend you an anchor

Edited by Chris Pink

I had to leave someone stuck on the river Severn once. He had been a real pain in the rear end in his tupperware as we were in the same lock as other boats and pushed his way to the front. He shot out as soon as he could before the gates were half open and tore off downstream. A bit later he's on a mud bank because he failed to look where he was going and hailed me to help him. Unfortunatly for him, I was flat out and drawing nearly 4 foot so couldn't even get near him. I felt that it served him right at the time because of his attitude but I slowed down enough to ensure that he got some help from a boat going upstream.

Think about it logically.

Scenario number 1.

Boater going along finds another boat in trouble in a fairly dangerous situation. Thinks to himself "I don't think I can do much here, can't phone anyone, the other boater can't phone anyone who's going to be of much help, what do I do?" and decides to pull alongside and offer help. After a while and a bit of discussion it becomes clear that they can't actually help in any constructive way and they leave, with the intention of finding someone who can help.

Scenario number 2.

Boater going along finds another boat in trouble in a fairly dangerous situation. Thinks to himself "Well its quite clear I can't actually help them, they can't phone anyone to help and nor can I so perhaps if I get a move on I will be able to find someone who can help them".

Scenario 2 type boater gets slated for not understanding moral responsibility or something.

Even if they weren't confident in giving you a tow (which might be understandable) there was lots they could have done, even if it was simply to provide support and an emergency standby, perhaps take a rope to a secure place, give you some crew, make phone calls.

to ignore on any grounds, let alone that of time is inexcusable.

Exactly,

Even with butty in tow i would have turned below the bridge and returned to at least get you secure to the shore!.

A couple of years ago i picked up a water ski boat on the Thames that had broken down and returned it to Sheperton slip - well, not quite the slip as the breasted pair wouldn't fit, but they could paddle the last bit of slack water. Everyone else was just ignoring and driving round them in Desborugh Cut.

You are quite justified in name and shame.

Simon.

Scenario3

Boat pulls alongside and boater says "look, I'm really not confident about towing you but I'll take your kids and wife to safety and leave a, stronger, male to help you hang onto the tree, while we get help.

Here's our anchor, you can give it back in the pub/marina/lock later."

Scenario3

Boat pulls alongside and boater says "look, I'm really not confident about towing you but I'll take your kids and wife to safety and leave a, stronger, male to help you hang onto the tree, while we get help.

Here's our anchor, you can give it back in the pub/marina/lock later."

Exactly. Whatever my abilities/boat/power/whatever, I couldn't just leave somebody in this danger. I would at least get them an anchor on board then get suitable help. That anybody could leave others like this beggars belief.

I know this is going to upset the OP, but I feel the tone of his message is actually pretty out of order. Sometimes people have places to be, appointments to keep and they haven't got time.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate help when its needed and offered, but I don't expect it. You might have high standards, but not everyone has your values or personal code.

Naming and shaming publicly is petty minded and I feel unfair. If you reverse the viewpoint here, you would have been out in an unsound boat with kids! Not that you were but you have to accept the opposite perspective is just as viable as yours ..

Its nice when people save your blushes but its not your inalienable right to demand help from others. Its something that has to be offered.

I only post this message because I really do feel you are actually unjustly bismirching the owner of that boat and calling their character into question unreasonably, which is your right to do in private but not on a public forum where they may read it or experience prejudice from others because of it, surely?

Just my thoughts, feel free to disagree.

- Hobbs

If we are assuming, (but haven't actually been told), that the boat that broke down had no anchor, is it necessarily safe to assume that the one that failed to give assistance did have?

We went to some lengths to buy one before venturing out on the Severn, but if many of the narrowboats we passed had one, it wasn't in a place for sensible deployment. I suspect a lot of people just take canal boats on rivers, with none of the extras.

However, I have to agree....

If the story being given is accurate, then the other boat, even if it felt powerless to offer a tow, should have stopped long enough to agree what it could do to help, and then done it.

I felt a bit of a plonker bowling down the river with my newly acquired anchor and life vests. This is a salutary reminder that when things go wrong, it's often not at a good time.

Sorry, but unless that place was a hospital, for a life saving operation, then the person who abandoned another boater in distress is a :lol:

I don't see how continuing on with your own business neither asking for or expecting anyone elses help is 'abandonment'. Abandoned implies, to my mind, some prior responsibility and here I see none.

Just the way I see it. I am not a ruthless evil selfish fiend or anything, but its my understanding that in life you rely on yourself and are ocassionally pleasantly suprised.

You simply can't go around bad mouthing people for not going out of their way to salvage your day at the expense of theirs. The OP's problems were his own until someone offered their time to help him out. That's nice and warming and stuff, but its not the norm in life. Look around - half the world is starving the other half is repressed to all hell. If we were all so amazing and kind and decent, would it be so?

Its not the Royal Marines, we aren't indentured comrades fighting to the death for our freedom against tyrannical odds or anything .. its boating. :lol:

If you break down, how many of your expect someone to stop and replace your tyre for you? Its nice if it happens, but you don't watch all the cars buzzing past, write down all their regs, lookup their owners names and addresses and make a point of cussing them all on a public forum when you get home do you?

I honestly don't see how this scenario is different. Helping and being helped is nice, but its not natures way or indeed human nature (if we're honest) and can't be demanded of every passer by.

If it had been me I would have been annoyed for sure, but you just can't demand people's time and assistance whenever you run into trouble.

- Hobbs

Edited by Hobson

So glad a post like this is rare.

My 2 years as a liveaboard C/C has taught me i am part of an exclusive group of people and i always ask if i pass a boat that looks as though it has a problem ie someone down the engine hole. I would always offer help, i may not be able to offer much on the mechanical side but might be of some use in other ways.

So glad a post like this is rare.

My 2 years as a liveaboard C/C has taught me i am part of an exclusive group of people and i always ask if i pass a boat that looks as though it has a problem ie someone down the engine hole. I would always offer help, i may not be able to offer much on the mechanical side but might be of some use in other ways.

Very well said. Boatng is one of the few activities that restores my faith in human nature. I have found other boaters to be brilliant when we have had problems. Thankfully these examples are rare.

I don't see how continuing on with your own business neither asking for or expecting anyone elses help is 'abandonment'. Abandoned implies, to my mind, some prior responsibility and here I see none.

Just the way I see it. I am not a ruthless evil selfish fiend or anything, but its my understanding that in life you rely on yourself and are ocassionally pleasantly suprised.

You simply can't go around bad mouthing people for not going out of their way to salvage your day at the expense of theirs. The OP's problems were his own until someone offered their time to help him out. That's nice and warming and stuff, but its not the norm in life. Look around - half the world is starving the other half is repressed to all hell. If we were all so amazing and kind and decent, would it be so?

Its not the Royal Marines, we aren't indentured comrades fighting to the death for our freedom against tyrannical odds or anything .. its boating. :lol:

If you break down, how many of your expect someone to stop and replace your tyre for you? Its nice if it happens, but you don't watch all the cars buzzing past, write down all their regs, lookup their owners names and addresses and make a point of cussing them all on a public forum when you get home do you?

I honestly don't see how this scenario is different. Helping and being helped is nice, but its not natures way or indeed human nature (if we're honest) and can't be demanded of every passer by.

If it had been me I would have been annoyed for sure, but you just can't demand people's time and assistance whenever you run into trouble.

- Hobbs

I think you're in a tiny minority here Hobbs, I believe most of us would be very willing to help a fellow boater in what was obviously dangerous situation.

Id like to see the boater in question justify his actions, from what we've heard it would make intereting reading.

Les

I think you're in a tiny minority here Hobbs, I believe most of us would be very willing to help a fellow boater in what was obviously dangerous situation.

Id like to see the boater in question justify his actions, from what we've heard it would make intereting reading.

Les

Its not about me or what I would do. The point I was evidently failing to make (sorry had a beer again!) was that when you run into trouble, in a boat or anywhere else, you can't judge people for not rushing to your rescue. You can only be indifferent to their lack of charity/fraternity/whatever you call it. I certainly don't think its fair or decent, and so by proxy the OP was something of a hypocrite about good values, to go bad mouthing them on a public forum with a recounting of events that is entirely subjective and apparently so ignorant of the other parties perspective and priorities.

Sorry if that's complicated or confused *hic

- Hobbs

Its not about me or what I would do. The point I was evidently failing to make (sorry had a beer again!) was that when you run into trouble, in a boat or anywhere else, you can't judge people for not rushing to your rescue.

Why not? we can judge then for not having a license, or for overstaying, I say "Prepare madam guillotine"