Mine runs smokey...

parasal

Featured Posts

Before you say it I have tried to search for an answer....

My new (Dec 07) Barrus 65hp engine runs very smokey since it has been commissioned in June...it improves under load but not for a long time and not much. I run it under load at least every two weeks anyhow but when I run it to heat water, battery etc its embarrassing just how smokey it is.....any advice?

Sally

My new (Dec 07) Barrus 65hp engine runs very smokey since it has been commissioned in June...it improves under load but not for a long time and not much. I run it under load at least every two weeks anyhow but when I run it to heat water, battery etc its embarrassing just how smokey it is.....any advice?

Sally

We have one here at the moment and that one isn't and I can't say I have noticed it on any others either.

Sally

How many hours has it done and has it had its first service?

My advice for what it is worth, just 'running it under load' is not enough, twice a year or whenever you can, Give it a good screwing on full power..

Close to my mooring there was a fully concreted channel where a breach had been repaired many years ago, at least once a year I would go through there flat out, just picked my time when nobody was watching, did it a world of good.

Hi,

Engine is much too big for the boat, - see earlier post - my pal left Barrus because he was fed up trying to sort out problems with over-engined boats.

Consider the boat 'Apache' (hitting the headlines at the moment) fitted with a Gardner 2LW (28Hp) perfectly adequate.

Smoke on your engine will eventually lead to long term damage of the unit.

(I am assuming yours is a narrowboat and not a Dutch Barge)

Albi

(I am assuming yours is a narrowboat and not a Dutch Barge)

Albi

I think it's a widebeam on the K&A, Albi!

I'm of a school that thinks 65 HP sounds far too much even for a wide beam, but I suppose I'm just plain old fashioned.

Parasal....

Has it always smoked the same, or is it getting worse, please ?

Alan

I think it's a widebeam on the K&A, Albi!

I'm of a school that thinks 65 HP sounds far too much even for a wide beam, but I suppose I'm just plain old fashioned.

Parasal....

Has it always smoked the same, or is it getting worse, please ?

Alan

Hi,

Thanks, still too big, even for a widebeam, unless fitted with a miniscule prop.

Albi.

PS when do you complete the last part of your cruise blog?.

PS when do you complete the last part of your cruise blog?.

Cath has returned to work today, so it may not happen for a bit!

As it's only a couple of easy days travel on our regular patch, I think her enthusiasm may have dwindled a bit. (Also, apart from comments like yours, above, there is never much evidence that anybody is looking at it!)

It really depends on what you're doing with it. For general canal use I'd agree for the reasons already stated - it does a big engine no good to be idling all the time. However, for river and tidal use a big boat needs a big engine and I'm starting to regret only getting a 55hp installed on mine.

I was on a 58 tonne barge with a 180hp Vetus Deutz the other day coming into Limehouse from the Thames. We'd left Brentford an hour after high tide because our lead boat with VHF was coming down from Teddington. Anyway by the time we got to Limehouse the river was running fast and my friend at the wheel had to use maximum revs (3000) to get into the lock (we must have been doing only about 1 knot against the tide at max revs). Ok my boat's 32 tonnes not 58, but it made me wonder if I'd have been in a bit of trouble had I done the trip on my own boat. (I've done it before, but I'm sure the tide wasn't running that fast.)

Edited by blackrose

Cath has returned to work today, so it may not happen for a bit!

As it's only a couple of easy days travel on our regular patch, I think her enthusiasm may have dwindled a bit. (Also, apart from comments like yours, above, there is never much evidence that anybody is looking at it!)

:lol:

I know this is going away from the orginal post but you'd be surprised Alan. I read many of the cruising diaries; it's interesting to know who is doing what/where on the canal. Add a counter to your blog and you may be surprised by the number of hits! They are easy to add on blogspot; if you have trouble PM me and I'll help you through...

On a new engine its not likely to be wear and tear, especially if there are no other problems.

Causes could be varied!

Fuel

Temperature

Exhaust

Load

Are you running it in gear? Is it getting up to temperature? Is the fuel clean? What size exhaust has it got? Silencer etc.? What size alternators are fitted?

Thanks for all your answers..and questions!

The smoke is a whitish grey..not black or sinister looking

It only seemed to start doing it after they commissioned the engine but dont think they really did much

It is a big boat but I am thinking the engine is too big....tick over speed is still quickish in narrow places

And I really dont like running it in gear on the canal..the bank is soft and surely it must damage it??

Chris...may take you up on that!!

Cheers

Sally

I don't go along with all this 'engine too big' stuff.. Diesel engines are generally quite happy running well below their maximum power potential, as has been said ad-nauseum the the average narrowboat needs only 3 or 4 horsepower to push it along at a relaxed speed so it could be said that all narrowboat engines are 'too big'.

We must be very careful not to ascribe human emotions or sensitivities to things like engines, they don't 'enjoy' being driven hard or lightly, an engine that has been allowed to tick-over for five years, if you were to strip it down would not be damaged in any way at all, it may benefit from a clean up but thats it..

A bit of a cliché, that salesman telling you that your potential pride and joy has only been driven by the vicars wife, if you find one with such a history.. 'Buy it'.

(Also, apart from comments like yours, above, there is never much evidence that anybody is looking at it!)

Shame! I was witholding my praise until she finished it!

I think she's done a great job with interesting text and nice pix - well done Cath!

regards

David

if the smoke is white (ish) then it could be water in the fuel, take the fuel filter off and have a look in the bottom (or come and get me to have a look!)

if any other colour, then what?

I was trying to establish if it was reaching a decent temperature. My mates Perkins runs rather smokily when just battery charging, but after a decent run the smoking ceases. The smoke tends to be a little on the black side, but I note in a later post that this Barrus is showing more white smoke. From my recent experience I suggest that the diesel is examined as it may be watery.

I don't go along with all this 'engine too big' stuff.. Diesel engines are generally quite happy running well below their maximum power potential, as has been said ad-nauseum the the average narrowboat needs only 3 or 4 horsepower to push it along at a relaxed speed so it could be said that all narrowboat engines are 'too big'.

We must be very careful not to ascribe human emotions or sensitivities to things like engines, they don't 'enjoy' being driven hard or lightly, an engine that has been allowed to tick-over for five years, if you were to strip it down would not be damaged in any way at all, it may benefit from a clean up but thats it..

A bit of a cliché, that salesman telling you that your potential pride and joy has only been driven by the vicars wife, if you find one with such a history.. 'Buy it'.

On the 'big engine front' I can only go along with what the experts say and my experience with 4LW's (56 hp) and 2LW's (28hp).

The 4LW was not mine, but it smoked badly and took ages to warm up (if it managed to) even under load even worse if it's running with a calorifier.

Diesels will smoke if they don't work hard enough and warm up.

My 2LW smokes for about 15 minutes after starting from cold, then the smoking stops, it smokes a little if left ticking over or working through a long lock flight, but as soon as revs increase it stops. The engine also heats a calorifier.

Albi

On the 'big engine front' I can only go along with what the experts say and my experience with 4LW's (56 hp) and 2LW's (28hp).

The 4LW was not mine, but it smoked badly and took ages to warm up (if it managed to) even under load even worse if it's running with a calorifier.

Diesels will smoke if they don't work hard enough and warm up.

My 2LW smokes for about 15 minutes after starting from cold, then the smoking stops, it smokes a little if left ticking over or working through a long lock flight, but as soon as revs increase it stops. The engine also heats a calorifier.

Albi

Hi LEO.

I am not familiar with your particular engines, but for the rest I agree with all you say, I have posted a great number of contributions over the years about my experiences especially with my new BMW which was originally set up by the manufacturer as a 'wet' exhaust variant, smoked like mad when I first installed it and it was inclined to maintain it's little habit as long as I had it..

Engine running temperature is the most significant factor, with most or all types of engine it can be controlled and regulated..

Thanks for all your answers..and questions!

The smoke is a whitish grey..not black or sinister looking

It only seemed to start doing it after they commissioned the engine but dont think they really did much

It is a big boat but I am thinking the engine is too big....tick over speed is still quickish in narrow places

And I really dont like running it in gear on the canal..the bank is soft and surely it must damage it??

Chris...may take you up on that!!

Cheers

Sally

I'll swap mine with you if you want! (Isuzu 55hp with 300 hours)

You still haven't told us how many hours the engine has done or whether it's had a service?

Most new engines need a service after 50 hours and thereafter at 250 hour intervals.

Edited by blackrose

Sally

Hi Sally,

running your engine in gear when tied up is against the byelaws. If I could find my braided cap and namebadge I would let you know which one!

Richard

Hi Sally,

running your engine in gear when tied up is against the byelaws. If I could find my braided cap and namebadge I would let you know which one!

Richard

Yes, and as far as I was aware from previous threads on the forum, the practice is unnecessary as long as the correct specification of oil is used to prevent bore glazing.

Edited by blackrose