Brass skin fitting

Kristian

Featured Posts

Guest TerryL
A brass skin fitting normally used for water outlet, can it be used as an exhaust outlet for a mikuni/eberspacher/webasto??????

Depends on the circumstances but they should be balanced flue and require the air intake and exhaust together.

A brass skin fitting normally used for water outlet, can it be used as an exhaust outlet for a mikuni/eberspacher/webasto??????

I have used one for my Eberspacher, with iron pipe fittings to creat a swan neck on the inside, to which the corrugated exhaust hose is attached. Seems a more robust way of fixing things to the hull that the curious fabricated assembly which Eberspacher supplies.

It is not a balanced flue.

Chris

I have used one for my Eberspacher, with iron pipe fittings to creat a swan neck on the inside, to which the corrugated exhaust hose is attached. Seems a more robust way of fixing things to the hull that the curious fabricated assembly which Eberspacher supplies.

It is not a balanced flue.

Chris

If you are thinking of the ones I am thinking of

N343.gif

they are 'air insulated' and angled steeply downwards. Basically designed for GRP and wood boats where a hot skin fitting could cause a problem and the down angle is so that when on choppy water the exhaust doesn't get flooded. Not really needed on steel canal boats i don't think although the downward angle can't be a bad thing.

N343.gif

Yes - and I thought that the swan neck bit would be a good idea to retain, as the fitting is not that high above water level (low-ish counter on Daedalus - but not as bad as Batavia would be!) and the Eberspacher is mounted very low (as per their instructions), so the idea of a falling exhaust which could get flooded was not that attractive.

The supplied fitting was not quite as posh as your picture and was painted black, so presumably intended for a narrowboat.

Chris

I put a webasto heater in a year or two back, and they supplied a brass skin fitting for the exhaust - there didn't appear to be anything special about it so I guess any brass skin fitting should be OK so long as it's the right size.

peter

I would be very reluctant to use a brass skin fitting for any purpose on a steel narrowboat.. They have been known to get 'wiped off' by bridge holes or other 'sticky out' things, better to use steel tube welded into the plating with the whole thing 'flush' to the hull.

Edited by John Orentas

Brass and steel together will set up an electro chemical corrosion cell. Hence the need for sacrificial annodes to protect the prop. These are only effective because they are immesed in water

Brass and steel together will set up an electro chemical corrosion cell. Hence the need for sacrificial annodes to protect the prop. These are only effective because they are immesed in water

I keep seeing comments like this.

Hands up all those people that have ever seen a brass narrowboat propeller with even mild corrosion.

N343.gif

they are 'air insulated' and angled steeply downwards. Basically designed for GRP and wood boats where a hot skin fitting could cause a problem and the down angle is so that when on choppy water the exhaust doesn't get flooded. Not really needed on steel canal boats i don't think although the downward angle can't be a bad thing.

Do you think I could use one of these as an exhaust skin fitting for a gas fridge?

Hands up all those people that have ever seen a brass narrowboat propeller with even mild corrosion.

It's not the bronze prop that would be prone to galvanic corrosion, it's the steel hull because steel is higher on the galvanic scale. I've certainly seen lots of narrow boat swims & counters suffering from excessive corrosion while other parts of the boat are not. Galvanic corrosion is not just a theory of someone's - it's a well documented fact in chemistry & physics.

However, for a galvanic cell to be created the dissimilar metals must be immersed in an electrolyte, so it's particularly important for underwater fittings. Since this thread is concerned with brass skin fittings installed above the waterline it's not so much of an issue. Yes, they will get wet when it rains and that could start a galvanic reaction, but when it dries there will be no electrolyte as long as a good sealant has been used behind the fitting.

I would be very reluctant to use a brass skin fitting for any purpose on a steel narrowboat.. They have been known to get 'wiped off' by bridge holes or other 'sticky out' things, better to use steel tube welded into the plating with the whole thing 'flush' to the hull.

If you fit a skin fitting either just above or below a rubbing strake they will not be prone to getting wiped off. I've never lost one.

Edited by blackrose

Ours has a lot of erosion, but that is from years of shoving the prop through the crappy bits at the edge of the canal.

Richard

I have seen some electronic action on my prop some years ago John.

My small sailing boat was moored in the vicinity of some underwater cables across the river Medina at Cowes.

On drying her out at the scrubbing berth on one occasion the Brass Propeller was a lovely copper colour with no fouling on it at all!

On closer inspection, it was deemed by those who were in the "know", that the prop had gained the coating from the under water cables in the river.

Later that year I changed the engine and shafts including a different prop and have never had the effect again!

Nipper

Why not?

But have you seen the price of them?

No, but if it's a Vetus part I can guess.

The problem with the fitting for a gas fridge exhaust is that it needs some sort of baffle to prevent the wind from blowing the flame out, but anything that stands proud of the fitting will get knocked off.

I was thinking that the angled fitting might help, but perhaps it would make no difference?