gearbox

Featured Posts

yesterday whilst cruising we developed an intermittent rumbling noise, only in forward not in reverse. It is an lh 150 any ideas from you knowledgable folk. There is plenty of oil in it.

If this is only happening in forward, then I would suspect that the cone clutch is at fault.

It could need a new cone clutch (about 25 quid for a replacement cone) or it could just be the circlip that holds the cone onto the shaft (about a pound).

Either way, you will probably start to experience drive slip at higher revs, and eventually it will only go at tickover.

These boxes are not horrendously difficult to fix yourself, but you will need to remove the box.

Hi,

Not sure how many hours this gearbox has done, but I found that gearboxes breakdown at the inconvenient times and assuming it's a Hurth box I found the cheaper option was to replace it. Not hard to fit yourself and not too expensive.

Labour costs and gearbox overhauls can work out expensive - see an earlier post.

I note the comments on the previous post about DIY repairs - fair enough if you are good with the 'spanners', but mechanics charge a lot for fixing jobs other people start but can't finish.

Albi.

Hi Cala.

You are not likely to be able to fix the box yourself.. There are a number of firms that could do it for you..

You don't make it easy for people to help you when you haven't posted any indication of where you are..

I would recommend T W Marine, Furness Vale. Tel. 01663 745757. but you may be 200 miles away.

Not a difficult job to take the box out of the boat, that will save you a lot of cash.

Edited by John Orentas

Hi Cala.

You are not likely to be able to fix the box yourself.. There are a number of firms that could do it for you..

You don't make it easy for people to help you when you haven't posted any indication of where you are..

I would recommend T W Marine, Furness Vale. Tel. 01663 745757. but you may be 200 miles away.

Not a difficult job to take the box out of the boat, that will save you a lot of cash.

Sorry we are on the Nene at Rushden and Diamonds Football club. Still mobile and have a pal on a boat with us if we need a tow. Hubby can take it out no problem , thats tomorrows agenda . Hopefully he will find the fault , tempted to limp on though to get back to the canals . Hubby is good with spanners , just wanted to get ideas from you guys so he thinks I know what I am talking about lol.Thanks for replies guys.

Edited by calamity507

Not an expert but have experienced this, check your engine mounts.

David

They are fine

If this is only happening in forward, then I would suspect that the cone clutch is at fault.

It could need a new cone clutch (about 25 quid for a replacement cone) or it could just be the circlip that holds the cone onto the shaft (about a pound).

Either way, you will probably start to experience drive slip at higher revs, and eventually it will only go at tickover.

These boxes are not horrendously difficult to fix yourself, but you will need to remove the box.

Will check this out tomorrow , thanks for info

Hi,

Not sure how many hours this gearbox has done, but I found that gearboxes breakdown at the inconvenient times and assuming it's a Hurth box I found the cheaper option was to replace it. Not hard to fit yourself and not too expensive.

The OP already mentioned that it is an LH150, which is a Lister Box. They are very fixable!

Hi Cala.

The LH150 is not a complicated box.

I've stripped and rebuilt one, and I'm certainly no mechanical wizard.

The Lister Manual is VERY good, and gives detailed instructions for stripping down the box.

A manual, cone clutch, circlip and new gaskets will probably come in at about 50 quid.

The OP already mentioned that it is an LH150, which is a Lister Box. They are very fixable!

The LH150 is not a complicated box.

I've stripped and rebuilt one, and I'm certainly no mechanical wizard.

The Lister Manual is VERY good, and gives detailed instructions for stripping down the box.

A manual, cone clutch, circlip and new gaskets will probably come in at about 50 quid.

we have the manual , would have done it today , but had guests and the local kids have been accosting boaters at the lock , stealing keys , windlasses etc , so with lots of activity going on we just didnt get it sorted .

we have the manual , would have done it today , but had guests and the local kids have been accosting boaters at the lock , stealing keys , windlasses etc , so with lots of activity going on we just didnt get it sorted .

OK, the manual is very good indeed at giving instructions, and you should have no problem.

One word of advice (which is I think in the manual)....

Take great care removing the oil pump, as it is possible to fracture the dip tube if you are hamfisted, and they are near impossible to get spares for.

Don't skimp on new gaskets (seal with blue hylomar), as you don't want it leaking oil.

yesterday whilst cruising we developed an intermittent rumbling noise, only in forward not in reverse. It is an lh 150 any ideas from you knowledgable folk. There is plenty of oil in it.

I once met an engine which made a terrifically bad rattling noise when in gear. I thought the gearbox was screwed but there was another chap there who noted that it had a short 'hardy spicer' type drive shaft, the sort with universal joints at each end. when the engine was put in gear there was a terrible rattling noise but in neutral it was quiet. it turned out that loose engine mount bolts had resulted in enough misalignment of the universal joints to cause one 'spider (?) to bang against the other. the engine mounts were tightened down in a couple of minutes and the problem was solved. I really thought it was a nackered gearbox but it wasn't. worth checking the engine mounts (as has been mentioned).

having said that if its an old Lister it will probably be rigidly mounted anyway in which case please ignore above comment.

Engine mounts and gearbox everyone says. Just incase, before you rip out the transmission, check that the prop is OK.

Guest TerryL
I once met an engine which made a terrifically bad rattling noise when in gear. I thought the gearbox was screwed but there was another chap there who noted that it had a short 'hardy spicer' type drive shaft, the sort with universal joints at each end. when the engine was put in gear there was a terrible rattling noise but in neutral it was quiet. it turned out that loose engine mount bolts had resulted in enough misalignment of the universal joints to cause one 'spider (?) to bang against the other. the engine mounts were tightened down in a couple of minutes and the problem was solved. I really thought it was a nackered gearbox but it wasn't. worth checking the engine mounts (as has been mentioned).

having said that if its an old Lister it will probably be rigidly mounted anyway in which case please ignore above comment.

Yes I agree, check everything else first, it could be simple.

just to update you, mountings ok , we because of weather are going to wait until we are back on canals to take gearbox out. Have a pal riding shotgun, that can tow us if needs be.

If you haven't removed the box yet, then good!

There are actually a number of things that you can (and should) do first

1. I know you said that there was plenty of oil, but (at the risk of teaching granny to suck eggs), are you sure? The LH150 is coupled to a dropped reduction box, and they have separate oil supplies, and dipsticks. Do make certain that you are reading the dipstick on the reversing box rather than the reduction box.
  2. Are you sure that the oil in the box is EP80/90? Engine oil isn't up to the job!
  3. Check the adjustment on the morse cable. Does the gear change quadrant (left hand side of the reversing box travel all the way when you select forward?
  4. take the top cover off the box (carefully, you don't want to wreck the gasket), and check that the clutch actuator arm has the correct clearance from the operating piston (back left), If there is no clearance, the box may be prevented from fully engaging forward gear.
  5. Slacken off the reversing band (under dome, front right) by half a turn. The symptoms you describe can happen if the reversing band is tight, and is trying to engage forward and reverse gears at the same time.

For the top-off stuff, you will need a couple of 1/2" AF spanners, and a flat bladed screwdriver.

bad move on tow now. Thanks 4 that info wil tel hubby when we find a mooring.

just read all that to him, he seems to think its too late now, we need to find another gearbox. Just what we dont need.

If you have lost drive, then try the actuator arm first. As the cone clutch wears, they do start to have problems engaging, and adjusting can work.

If the cone clutch has gone, then it will be far easier to replace it than to get a new box (LH150 boxes are hard to get, and it will be tricky to install a different box without modifications to the engine bed)

Supplier for the parts;

William G. Search Ltd

Whitehall Road

Leeds

LS12 6EP

Tel: 0113 263 9081

Fax: 0113 231 0267

E-mail: info@wgsearch.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...

skuse the keyboard!

A kouple of years ago a little bird told one that Middlewich boats had a lot of listers and were a good place to ring for LH150 bits I posted a phone no up here but Ill struggle to look for it

Ring Sherborne Wharf in brum as they may

still keep the LH150 they replased a kouple of years ago