What do you think of this welding and paint job?

Featured Posts

The screws are the wrong type.

They SHOULD be dome heads, not countersunk.

Am I right in thinking that if I came along with a screwdriver I could lift the hatch off?.

Paint work seems back to me, the rear end does not look as sharp as it should be.

Go complain. If more people do then jobs will always be done right, 1st time.

Neil

I believe BW harrased and vigilantied most of the skilled boatbuilders away from Oxford and Banbury before letting the yards in these areas set up, precicely because the competition from true tallent; that didn't even need to be on the water for full on building(some farms have adequate facilities);was too great, both for price and quality.

The reason was that the revenue from the work wasn't going anywhere near BW! Beware, let one govt. agency get away with it, they'll all be at it, and BW are thieves!

Badly set up. lot of wire low amps.

Yep, have to agree. Some of the beads are tall & rounded at the edges, a sign of poor penetration.

OK, it aint going to drop off........just be thankfull those welds aren't below the waterline.

The *welder* had the right idea, short runs to minimise distorsion, but he either doesn't have a lot of experience, or just doesn't care.

There's no excuse for the screws..........

Does the cost of the job not come in to it? If they paid £30 for the labour then they were not riped off! Any thing more then they probably were.

Wrinkley, the OP said "many thousands" were paid. Between the hatch job & the paintwork, it sounds a lot whichever way it's split.

OK am I going to be the first to break ranks here..

My original response like I suspect most of the others was very much 'tongue in cheek', using the wrong screws is no big deal and that welding is really not that bad given that whoever did it was obviously very concerned to avoid distortion of the roof.. I would say that the painting too is to a fairly good standard.

I blame TerryL as he was the first to post, he sort of set the tone.

My original response like I suspect most of the others was very much 'tongue in cheek', using the wrong screws is no big deal and that welding is really not that bad given that whoever did it was obviously very concerned to avoid distortion of the roof.. I would say that the painting too is to a fairly good standard.

John, surely, its the fact it cost 'many thousands of pounds' that makes it unacceptable. :lol:

- Hobbs

There is far too much weld applied, this means the structure would have been subject to welding heat for longer periods thus increasing the chances of distortion not decreasing it as suggested. The weld to each side should have been done in one neat run of weld, not large blotches which far exceed the amount of weld requred.

Ok the screws can be changed or holes countersunk, however I would never accept work of such a poor standard, and it should never have been offered to the customer with incorrect fittings, also the edges of the protruding screws will be sharp, anyone falling on them would be severly lacerated i would imagine.

I'm shocked anyone would find that acceptible, although I suppose the quality of some boats you see today, maybe this standard of work is becoming acceptible :lol:

looks like mastic to me rather than welding to form a seal, but it should have been applied better, I assume the welding is under the mastic

The "screws" look more like like star drive security screws which are tamper resistant fittings but I would have countersunk the holes before using them

Charles

looks like mastic to me rather than welding to form a seal, but it should have been applied better, I assume the welding is under the mastic

Charles

It def looks like weld to me.

You can see tell tale marks that mastic does not have (have seen some try to pass mastic off as a weld lol)

justme

Guest TerryL

That's it blame me, everybody blames me, I'm always getting the blame, I'm just a scapegoat, everyone picks on me. :lol: Nobody else got their own opinion then? :lol: It's welding John but not as we know it! It won't fall off but I wouldn't like it on the bottom of my boat or on anything structural as he/she is clearly not a very experienced welder, probably the boys first job and no doubt will get better but it should be reflected in the price. As for the screws it's attention to detail that makes the job. The paint looked ok apart from what looked like a large run and had the paint not been edged on the weld it wouldn't have been so obvious. I've seen competant amateurs do better but when you pay someone you expect a professional job or at least expect them to grindback and use filler to at least make it look professional. I wouldn't send a job out like that, it's the marine equivalent of bad spelling, no one is bothered how it looks! Anyone else want to blame me? :lol:

I would be surprised if that pigeon sh*t welding didn't leak at some point. Maybe the paint will be its saviour. The lads who welded my shell were spot on, but still we had a tiny leak in the roof when new. It was of course rectified immediately, and when they discovered where it was leaking, it was hard to imagine water finding its way through. That welding is about on par with mine; rubbish. Given that a photograph is a vastly reduced scale and tends to make such things look better, I can't imagine what it must look like in the real world.

Edited by Guest

To my inexpert eyes the welding looks as good as much I see on canal boats - at least from those builders who don't bother to grind it off.

It's difficult to tell from a photo but apart from that run the paint job looks ok. If there are many more runs like that in other places then I wouldn't be too happy.

Guest TerryL
Well no-one seems at all bothered about bad spelling on here :lol:

Tim

Are you suggesting it's wrong to have standards? It matters to me how my jobs and spelling look. If you are right lets hope those on here are at least bothered about their welding if not their spelling, otherwise there's no point in doing a good job at all and a further decline!

Are you suggesting it's wrong to have standards? It matters to me how my jobs and spelling look. If you are right lets hope those on here are at least bothered about their welding if not their spelling, otherwise there's no point in doing a good job at all and a further decline!

Absolutely not. I despair at some of the lazy typing I see on here.

Tim