Charging batteries from mains when not on boat

JVD

Featured Posts

Excuse me for being a bit dim but we are new to the game! The batteries are charged via a Sterling device (Alternator to Battery type). The boat when attached to shore mains only powers the fridge and the ceiling lights from 12V (we use the lights as little as possible by using table lamps on 240v). The fridge will even cut out over night. I presume this may just be that the cut out on the fridge has been set too high and might be worth adjusting or that the batteries are tired and not holding charge. The fridge cuts out when the voltmeter is showing 11.8V. However, what advice would you give regarding a device that could be installed that would allow the 12v devices to run when attached to shore mauins without draining the batteries. The inverter is obviously doing the opposite. Is a mains battery charger the answer? Grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

Thanks for your prompt and succinct reply!! Any advice as to which type? Can it be linked to the Sterling device and/or our inverter and be switched from the cabin? Perhaps some cut in automatically?

JVD

This is just an example of what you are looking for, in no way do I endorse this product.

There are plenty of others out there.

Link: http://www.power-store.com/view-item.asp?i...&id=43&

As has been said on here before, a car battery charger from an accessory shop is not the type needed.

Hi,

I fitted a CTEK Multi XS 25000, it copes with a big battery bank, ( 5 x 110amps) fit it and forget it. About £200 off the internet.

Check electorolyte levels regularly, be careful using lead acid and gel batteries, the former seem better for my usage on boats.

Some suggest cheaper one's to do the same job but I can only comment on the unit I have.

ALBI

Thanks for your prompt and succinct reply!! Any advice as to which type? Can it be linked to the Sterling device and/or our inverter and be switched from the cabin? Perhaps some cut in automatically?

Any multi-stage charger will be fine for your purposes. A reasonably good and reasonably priced one is the Sterling Pro-Digital 30amp model. Try googling a company called Yachtbits - I bought one for about £226 inc VAT and delivery. Once it's installed you can just leave it on and that's it. It will automatically compensate for any charge taken out of the batteries so in effect you are running the 12v system from the mains. Every so often switch the charger off and back on again to put the batteries through a full charge cycle - or just put the charger on a weekly timer. If you have wet lead-acid batteries don't forget to top them up.

Edit: The charger works separately from your Sterling alternator regulator but it is fully compatible. I ususlly switch my charger off before starting the engine while the boat is still connected to shore power but it doesn't matter if you forget. However, depending on how your AC mains system is configured you may have to switch off your battery charger before switching on the inverter (or conversely switching off the inverter before switching on the battery charger), otherwise it's like asking the inverter to power the battery charger to charge the batteries to run the inverter & mains appliances! Clearly an impossibility. I have a little notice on my AC selector switch to remind me.

Edited by blackrose

Any multi-stage charger will be fine for your purposes. A reasonably good and reasonably priced one is the Sterling Pro-Digital 30amp model. Try googling a company called Yachtbits - I bought one for about £226 inc VAT and delivery. Once it's installed you can just leave it on and that's it. It will automatically compensate for any charge taken out of the batteries so in effect you are running the 12v system from the mains. Every so often switch the charger off and back on again to put the batteries through a full charge cycle - or just put the charger on a weekly timer. If you have wet lead-acid batteries don't forget to top them up.

Black and Decker do a 30 amp 3 stage charger. The problem is it needs user interaction each time it is operated - you have to press a button to change it to 'wet' from the default 'gel' battery setting (assuming you have wet lead acid batteries) then press the charge button 3 times to get to the 30 amp setting. Its a lot cheaper than some others though at around £80.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=145841

Personally I'd want any battery charger that I use from shore power to have a 'powerpack mode'. Once the charger has gone through its charge cycle and gone onto float mode that's the feature which instantly compensates for any power drawn from the batteries. I think that's the 4th stage of a 4 stage charger, so perhaps 3 stage chargers don't have this feature?

Edit: The powerpack mode will only work up to the maximum output of the charger, after that point you start to draw on the batteries.

Edited by blackrose

Whilst were on the subject. Anyone come across the Numax range of "marine" chargers - fit & forget they say!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Numax-Connect-Forget...id=p3286.c0.m14

4fd8_2.JPG

£43.95 + £9.99P&P

12v 10Ah

I think they mean 12v 10A?

A 10 amp output charger is quite small and they also say that charger is only suitable for battery banks up to 135 A/h. So unless you have a very small battery bank or you just want to charge one engine start battery then don't fit it and definately forget it!

Edited by blackrose

I've got a Sterling Pro-Digital charger connected to 6x110ah leisures, and you barely have to look at the thing!

When the batteries are charged, and the 240v shore-power is connected, it goes into power supply mode for the 12v system, so all your lights, pumps etc are being fed by the Sterling, instead of your batteries (which stay in float charge). Unless you exceed (in my case) a 50a load on the 12v system, then the batteries are left alone.

There are probably many more products that do the same (or better) job, but i can only recommend the unit i have. I think it was around £180 purchased online last year.

Hope that helps in some way.

*edited, as it's a 50a charger, not a 30a*

Edited by Marc Harris

I've got a Sterling Pro-Digital charger connected to 6x110ah leisures, and you barely have to look at the thing!

When the batteries are charged, and the 240v shore-power is connected, it goes into power supply mode for the 12v system, so all your lights, pumps etc are being fed by the Sterling, instead of your batteries (which stay in float charge). Unless you exceed (in my case) a 50a load on the 12v system, then the batteries are left alone.

There are probably many more products that do the same (or better) job, but i can only recommend the unit i have. I think it was around £180 purchased online last year.

Hope that helps in some way.

*edited, as it's a 50a charger, not a 30a*

Where did you get a Sterling 50amp pro-digital for £180?

It's getting on for 20 months ago now, but i'll try and find the receipt. Might have been a bit more, as it was a bit of a hell-ish time on the boat (3 leisure batteries went down, along with the previous sterling charger, and missus laid up in bed with a broken ankle.... on new years eve.... with no lights or running water.... ) :lol:

*edit*

After a bit of googling around, it seems like they are an awful lot more expensive now, with the 30a one running at £220+

Only link i could find was : http://www.themainsail.com/review/reviewpr...34344336478/v/1

Which puts the rrp of the 30a at £179 back in 2006.

Edited by Marc Harris

It's getting on for 20 months ago now, but i'll try and find the receipt. Might have been a bit more, as it was a bit of a hell-ish time on the boat (3 leisure batteries went down, along with the previous sterling charger, and missus laid up in bed with a broken ankle.... on new years eve.... with no lights or running water.... ) :lol:

Well don't worry if you can't find it. I've never seen them that cheap though. I thought the 50amp was about £250.