mooring tender trail end..

grahoom

Featured Posts

I was looking at the mooring tender site, and saw that it clearly states on their that the Trail period until the end of October 2008.

So I emailed BW asking that considering that the trail period was ending, if I could go on to a waiting list (as I presumed that when the trial period has ended then they would revert back to the waiting lists that they had before the trail started) - but it seems that this might not be the case...

he was their response...

--------------------

I can advise that the future of mooring tendering trial is being consulted on at the mometn and as a result of this we are not yet aware on whether the tendering option will be continued or whether we will revert to waiting lists, as a result of this we are unable to place you on a waiting list at this time.

--------------------

I am aware that on the web-site that there is A formal consultation period runs from 28 May - 20 August 2008. So I am presuming that from the 20 August to the end of the trail they will decide if the tendering system is going to continue or not - which probably means - that the mooring tender will continue....

I was looking at the mooring tender site, and saw that it clearly states on their that the Trail period until the end of October 2008.

So I emailed BW asking that considering that the trail period was ending, if I could go on to a waiting list (as I presumed that when the trial period has ended then they would revert back to the waiting lists that they had before the trail started) - but it seems that this might not be the case...

he was their response...

--------------------

I can advise that the future of mooring tendering trial is being consulted on at the mometn and as a result of this we are not yet aware on whether the tendering option will be continued or whether we will revert to waiting lists, as a result of this we are unable to place you on a waiting list at this time.

--------------------

I am aware that on the web-site that there is A formal consultation period runs from 28 May - 20 August 2008. So I am presuming that from the 20 August to the end of the trail they will decide if the tendering system is going to continue or not - which probably means - that the mooring tender will continue....

Surprise Surprise. :lol:

J.

of course it will continue they have already made up their minds the consultation is just going through the motions of being seen to be consulting with user`s while people who can afford it are being press ganged/bullied into paying over the odds for moorings

I just downloaded BW Excel spreadsheet with completed "auctions" - only goes up to May.

The total from the trail for the moorings is £253,579

The total from the "Guide Price" is £246,771

So that's only a difference of £6,805.

So If the Guide price is the price that existing moorers are paying (which I am not sure if that is the case) then BW havn't made a great deal from a trial that has probably cost them more that the £6,805 - So from this spreadsheet i reckon it's been a total waste of time from a commercial aspect (besides closing down moorings and generally getting rid of people from waiting lists!)

Also on the spreadsheet it shows how many people where on waiting lists for moorings and how many people actually "bid" for a mooring.

Does the spreadsheet include all the sites for which no satisfactory bid (and hence no income) was received? Last I heard these had been omitted from the figures, as otherwise the results looked like a total failure

yes, it includes sites with no bidding.

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/listenin...t-consultations

you can download it from here.

Thanks for the link Grahoom, that's useful. I've no doubt they'll use it to prove that the trial has been a success.

The consultation process is just a joke, there is no way that they ever listen to the respondents. EVen when BW have had 100% opposition to a proposal, they've still gone ahead with their original plans and announced that it is being implemented "after full consultation"

I just downloaded BW Excel spreadsheet with completed "auctions" - only goes up to May.

The total from the trail for the moorings is £253,579

The total from the "Guide Price" is £246,771

So that's only a difference of £6,805.

So If the Guide price is the price that existing moorers are paying (which I am not sure if that is the case) then BW havn't made a great deal from a trial that has probably cost them more that the £6,805 - So from this spreadsheet i reckon it's been a total waste of time from a commercial aspect (besides closing down moorings and generally getting rid of people from waiting lists!)

Also on the spreadsheet it shows how many people where on waiting lists for moorings and how many people actually "bid" for a mooring.

And of that £6805 £4060 came from this Marsworth tender!

Marsworth

Yes but don't forget. The object of the tendering system is not to make more profit for the BW coffers.

It was to ensure fairer allocation of moorings. So we all benefit.

Where is the tongue in cheek smiley carl?

Wasn't it to ensure that "market value" was being achieved (and even the most ardent supporter of markets rarely contends they are fair!)

Don't worry, you'll all be packed away into marinas soon anyhow.

I suspect the Marsworth example is a marina operator bidding silly money for an online mooring so they can say to their existing customers 'look, moorings are really expensive round here, we're going to have to raise our prices' and there's now one less available on line mooring. Its a good business plan and starts the privatisation ball rolling.