Of Cancer, Chemo and Cruising

TeeELL

Featured Posts

Hi Lady Muck, which was your boat - there was a wide beam immediately in front and a narrow boat moored by the bridge in front of that (if I remember correctly there was also a narrowboat breasted up to the wide beam).

Fri 12 Sep. Good evening all, today has been something close tour original cruising plan ie: to stop at interesting places and look around. So we left Paddington basin just before 10 and reached Camden moorings at 11.00, the moorings could be better, much better the paucity of bollards/mooring rings in a concrete towpath made mooring a challenge (unless you are the ‘first boat’ there and get the mooring nearer the lock). Anyway, we managed to sort ourselves out and spent the next two and a half hours wandering around Camden Market and spending money!!

Camden lock was well supported by gongoozlers so we did our best to appear cool and professional (I think we fooled them), with a boat coming up we left the lock and proceeded eastward towards Limehouse basin. It was a good job there were no gongoozlers at St Pancras lock as I smoothly dropped Mo off on the towpath and moored by the lock – only to find access to the lock from the towpath required a BW key. The boat club by the lock is one of very few we have encountered that displays membership of AWCC – the adjoining boat yard has diesel at 76p/ltr so I’m hoping it is open when we return to Paddington over the weekend.

The cruise from Paddington to Limehouse is quite fascinating, passing expensive housing on the one hand with people sleeping rough, through areas where you wouldn’t want to stop to other areas where mooring would be safe enough – even Islington appears not to live up to it’s reputation – the towpath moorings are locked at either end. Equally surprising was the clarity of the canal water, quite unlike Birmingham it was possible to see the bottom of the canal.

As we left Johnson’s lock a guy walking the towpath told us the Commercial Road lock was secured and therefore we couldn’t get into Limehouse. We decided to press on and found that the only locks were the anti-vandal locks so we entered LHB at 6PM (with a thunderstorm to the north of us) and moored 10 mins later. We are on 24hr moorings so will take a look around tomorrow morning before we start back towards Paddington. For you gastrognomes tonights meal was shepherds pie with mashed carrot and turnip and buttered brussel sprouts washed down with a Kibbel Hill colombard. That’d all folks – ‘till tomorrow.

How do reader, settle back for the excitement of today’s tale of our adventures. A bright start to the day and we decided to take a look at London making the most of our 24hr mooring. We walked to Canary Wharf having studied the Thames conditions at the mouth of Limehouse lock, decided that the boat that had ventured forth that morning was braver than us!! Having watched the high speed catamarans we caught one to Waterloo and the London Eye. We did the ‘tourist bit’ during the cruise and considered doing the Eye but the queue was a bit excessive. So we wandered about the market on the south side of the river, then walked across to Embankment Station and caught the tube to Bank and then the Docklands light railway back to Limehouse.

We set off from LHB at 14.10 but so did the Met Police River Training launch – Mo needed to have a word with them! Yesterday the launch had gone up the GU and had left paddles up so the boat crew were ‘advised accordingly’. I’m now waiting to get stopped for speeding on the canal!! The return journey was uneventful and I’ll not list the times at each lock. The water was as clear as yesterday, perhaps even more so, it was possible to see all the plastic bags and aluminium cans – but nothing more interesting. We even caught some of the bags and weed on the prop (inevitably at the most critical points – entering the locks and leaving with a water bus pressing towards us and an open lock.

When we reached Islington and the 14 day moorings exactly the same boats were moored up (double breasted) as yesterday. Now, you could say that they may have only been there a day or a week and had 13 or 7 days mooring remaining but, judging by the state of the ropes and ‘permanency’ of the appearance of the boats they look like they bare moving anytime soon. As a consequence, we cruised through Islington tunnel and turned into Battlebridge and moored outside the canal museum there (not marked in the Nicholson Guide). If possible we will stay here tomorrow and make our way to Paddington Basin first thing Monday morning. Therefore, dear reader, I may not post a report tomorrow – hope you don’t get withdrawal symptoms.

‘Till next time.

14 Sep 07. Hi all, we’ve just got back from a couple of hours walking around Camden Mkt again. As planned today was a slack start and a short cruise. Having moored outside the London Canal Museum we felt duty bound to take a look around. A moderately interesting experience the photographs really bought home the decline of the canals as the primary freight movers. We moved of from the mooring just after 1PM and started our return to Paddington Arm. Just before quarter past one and a few hundred yards below St Pancras lock we had an all too short shouted greeting with ‘Lady Muck’.

I had hoped to buy some diesel from the boatyard above the lock but there was no one around so we pressed on. Being a Sunday and a sunny one at that, the crowds at Camden locks surpassed those of the other day 10 fold. Mo chose to do the locks and let me drive – unfortunately, she didn’t have her boaters utility belt on so was the wrong side of a locked gate with her BW key onboard! Fortunately there happened by a boater with a BW key that let her through. I was explaining to the gongoozlers at the lock that the crew had decided to go shopping. The moorings immediately above the Camden locks are awkwardly spaced (for a 57 footer) so we continued to the next set of moorings, this time with plenty of spaces. Bollards still at awkward spacing but we moored as close as we could to another boat to ensure the maximum availability of space for others.

Having moored we had some lunch, I did a bit of varnishing on our ‘Guinness and food trays’ that fit either side of the rear hatch; we left them to dry in the sun whilst we wandered back down the towpath to the Market. That sums up the day, a couple of hours cruising (if that). Tomorrow a relatively quick run back to Paddington basin in the morning where, we hope, there will be vacancies from boats leaving after the weekend.

The moorings immediately above the Camden locks are awkwardly spaced (for a 57 footer) so we continued to the next set of moorings, this time with plenty of spaces. Bollards still at awkward spacing but we moored as close as we could to another boat to ensure the maximum availability of space for others.

You probably moored in the space we left at the visitor moorings - remember to take your BW key with you - they do tend to lock the towpath at night, this last week it varied from anytime from 8pm to midnight or not at all! Think it might depend on whether the caretaker boat owner is there or not. We areback now. Hope you have good luck finding moorings - we wanted to overnight at Springfield on the way home but there wasn't a single bit of room!

Hi Tony & Mo!

We have only just managed to get on the net since we saw you both in Batchworth. It was really nice to finally meet you two and we are now avidly following your adventures! I do hope you manage to get up the Thames! It may be too late now, but 'Three Men In a Boat' is being repeated on BBC2.Thesecond half is on tonight...but quite late on! Very weird watching it after being there a couple of weeks ago! It's a small world this boating thing....we traveled down the Thames from Teddington with N.B. Saul!

Anyway keep those updates coming!!!!

Cheers

Anne & Tony :lol:

How do reader, settle back for the excitement of today’s tale of our adventures. A bright start to the day and we decided to take a look at London making the most of our 24hr mooring. We walked to Canary Wharf having studied the Thames conditions at the mouth of Limehouse lock, decided that the boat that had ventured forth that morning was braver than us!! Having watched the high speed catamarans we caught one to Waterloo and the London Eye. We did the ‘tourist bit’ during the cruise and considered doing the Eye but the queue was a bit excessive. So we wandered about the market on the south side of the river, then walked across to Embankment Station and caught the tube to Bank and then the Docklands light railway back to Limehouse.

<Snip>

‘Till next time.

It's a shame you didn't do the tideway on Sat as this was the day of the Great River Race when literally hundreds of boats of all sorts row from Richmond to Greenwich, it is a spectacular sight!

The weekend was also the Thames River Festival which it sounds like to wandered into. The highlight for me was a two hour trip on a the Sailing Barge Lady Daphne which went under a raised tower bridge twice (For £10) - will post some pictures when I get the chance.

Tim

Edited to say that I also had my first trip on one of the Thames Clipper Catamarans to the O2, we went after it went dark and my they can shift when they get in a bit of open water!

Edited by Tim Lewis

Hi Tim, don't think I fancy rowing 'ELEHIAH' on the Thames :lol: .

A brief update for those of you missing the daily 'fix'. 'ELEMIAH' was moored up in Paddington basin yesterday after an uneventful journey and in the evening we caught a Great Western train to Swindon. I had my blood test today and I've just phoned the hospital to find that I'm fit for chemo tomorrow. We will return to Paddington tomorrow evening and resume the cruise on Thursday.

I though I'd post some photo's for your gratification:

IMG_0145.jpg

A boat the equal of anything found on the K&A

IMG_0196-1.jpg

The deck-hand finds a sheltered spot out of the rain - no lying by the stove for this one, he has to be where the 'action' is!!

IMG_0215.jpg

'BLUE PEARL' - at rest.

IMG_0221.jpg

Nb 'RICHMOND', previously Nb 'RICHMOND TOO' once part of the hire fleet based at Foxton Locks.

Richmondpic1.jpg

Nb 'RICHMOND TOO' almost exactly 30 years ago - to within a week. The only visual change is the plated over forward window and moved tunnel light. That is Mo at the back feeding the swans and I am behind the camera.

IMG_0230.jpg

Moored next to Tafelberg whilst we wait for the lock chamber to fill.

IMG_0045.jpg

Having looked at the state of the Thames just outside Limehouse lock we felt reassured that our decision to go to Brentford on the GU was a wise one. So we decided that this beast would be a more sensible option for seeing the sights!!

IMG_0254.jpg

Mmmmm! Felt a little foolish when we spotted this heading up river by Waterloo - I think it was the boat moored next to us in LHB the previous night and which had left that morning.

IMG_0056.jpg

Spot 'ELEMIAH' in LHB!!

IMG_0062.jpg

Gongoozlers as we approach Camden on our way back to Paddington basin.

Blimey Tony! (RE: Camden Lock)

You have more bottle than us! We got to it (on a Saturday Afternoon) and decided not to bother...I hate people watching me lock at the best of times! Well done! Don't blame you for not going on 'The Big River' though! It looks really BIG!!!!!

Thanks for the photo of the Vulcan....Tony is really looking forward to Waddington now!

Cheers!

Anne :lol:

Edited by anne

Hello dear reader,

our return to the boat was uneventful (mind you, the cost of the taxi from Lechlade to Swindon turned an inexpensive travel option into the equivalent of hiring a car!!). The 4 singles to/from (Paddington to Swindon and return) cost £40 – the Taxi £25. We will have to ‘blag’ a lift of the neighbours if use the train again. Anyway we were back on board ‘ELEMIAH’ by 21.30. The steroids I have to take immediately after treatment pretty much kept me awake and Mo was restless so we ended up having breakfast and moving off at a quarter past eight! We had a fair amount of boat rubbish to dispose of and stopped at the disposal point in Little Venice (I know – it’s an exciting life this boating business!!)

We pressed on for Bulls Bridge Junction stopping for water at Greernford visitor moorings (right on the winding hole!) and the next exciting event was an uplift of fuel, stopped at High Line Yachting – only 90p/ltr (the pump price was indicating 95p – but you can’t see it from the mooring point), I discovered – talking to a boater who moors there – that the prices are always higher than anywhere else and the pump-out astronomical!! Not that I use that. To my surprise it took only 75ltrs to fill the tank – I’ve not yet had a chance to confirm the consumption figures – but I’m reasonably sure the fuel tank capacity of the tank is 150 ltrs useable.

Once more at BBJ we moored outside Tesco – invited another boat to breast up as the moorings were busy – and off we trotted to spend another fortune on food and booze. We have now moved down the moorings away from the water point and plan to set off for Brentwood in the morning, with Neil Dudman on board – if he can make it.

I’m sorry if the cruise diary is a might bland today, we will try and make it a bit more exciting tomorrow.

Friday 19th Sep and we have only 5 weeks and one day’s cruising to go. This morning was overcast and cool but with a promise of sunshine and we left the moorings at 09.15 without needing to shop in Tesco (mind you we bought some of their ‘own brand’ tea and it is horrible so we will be looking out for another store to return the stuff and buy some decent tea). Neil Dudman has been unable to join us due to IT issues he is having to sort out – we hope he will catch up with us next week on the K&A. Well I have to say that the locals living around the canal to the south of BBJ are a little light on social awareness. Both the back gardens and the towpath are strewn with rubbish of all types – the most sophisticated where the bags of rubbish neatly tied, by their handles, to the railings. (Maffi, they take pride in sorting out their doggy doopes – bagged and thrown in the canal!!) What was strange though, was the clarity of the water, you could see all the submerged and semi submerged plastic bags ready to wrap themselves around your prop (or more likely the prop of any following boat).

We arrived at Norwood top lock at 10.10 and, realising that there were big red wheelie-bins for rubbish I opened the first and threw the 2 bags of rubbish in. I don’t know who was more surprised the rat in the bin or me. We progressed down the locks – if you take this route it is well worth looking out for the information plaques at the locks alongside the old asylum, you can’t miss them they are placed where there should be a bollard. At lock 93 we swapped ‘drivers’ and continued down the flight. We arrived at the gauging lock at Brentford and, having spoken to a lass in the BW info office realised I’d forgotten the give 24 hrs notice of our intention to ‘catch’ the Sat morning ‘Oh dark hundred’ high tide. Anyway, we proceeded down to Thames lock to discuss our options with the lock keeper. It was 14.20 when we tied up near the lock and the keeper didn’t arrive until 15.30 by which time we had decided there was enough time to get to Teddington lock and moor.

We exited Thames lock at 16.00 on to the Brent for the short journey down to the Thames. What fun on the Thames, it was quite choppy and the addition of some fast ‘fenders’ passing and trip boats made the ride quite unusual – even compared to our experiences on the Upper Thames. The additional width of the river seemed to amplify the waves. With 2000RPM set plus the flood tide we reached Teddington lock in just over an hour, passing ‘over’ the weir at Richmond. We have moored for the night on the visitors moorings above the lock (only £8.00 !!) as we are not familiar with this part of the river and didn’t want to end up scrabbling around at dusk looking for a parking spot. That is it dear reader, I may well post some pictures if I have a good interweb connection. ‘Till tomorrow then, goodnight.

Laptop and Photobucket not playing tonight so no pictures, sorry :lol:

Dear reader, if you live in the southwest you will know what a glorious day it has been today. After early morning mist and a clear sky we went for a walk before setting off from Teddington visitors moorings. I’m not going to give you a blow-by-blow account of our journey but what I can say is it was most enjoyable. Apart from the scenery we encountered stern wheelers, skiffs, canoes and regattas.

I will tell you that we arrived Penton Hook Lock at 15.55 and the sqwarks from the surrounding trees came as quite a surprise – looking around we realised there was a resident flock of parakeets? Well green parrot thingies anyway. In addition we saw 2 black swans, but unlike their white counterparts they seem quite shy and our attempts to photograph them proved less than successful. At the end of a longish day (especially as it is one of my chemo ‘down days’) we squeezed into the public moorings at Runnymede just as a regatta finished.

I think that is it for today folks – I’m shattered, but will try and persuade Potobucket to accept some piccies for up loading. Photobucket not playing for some reason.

Neil, I thinks we have at least another day on the Thames before we make Reading!!

It's a shame you didn't do the tideway on Sat as this was the day of the Great River Race when literally hundreds of boats of all sorts row from Richmond to Greenwich, it is a spectacular sight!

The weekend was also the Thames River Festival which it sounds like to wandered into. The highlight for me was a two hour trip on a the Sailing Barge Lady Daphne which went under a raised tower bridge twice (For £10) - will post some pictures when I get the chance.

Tim

Edited to say that I also had my first trip on one of the Thames Clipper Catamarans to the O2, we went after it went dark and my they can shift when they get in a bit of open water!

Eventually found the time to sort some pictures!

Here

Enjoy

Tim

We went down to our local farm produce store today and brought you some quality English Tea for your travels, we cant have you living on that Tesco stuff!....

Tony, be very wary of that Dudman character, he has been known to lead innocent fellow narrowboaters astray. He has a habit of buying beer in extremely small containers and then blaming that on the long suffering Sarah.

Blooming Beer Swilling Aussies!!!!

Forgive me for I was under the impression that beer drinking was a very, very,very important part of narrowboating. We Aussies would call narrowboating a pub crawl, except you get to each pub by boat instead of a ute.

Dear reader, accept my apologies for not posting, we have moored a couple of times in the middle of nowhere (as far as Vodafone is concerned). Yesterday, Sun 21st, was another beautiful day and we left our mooring near Runnymede at half nine. Once again we simply watched the scenery pass us, and lots of plastic ‘gin palaces’ – all eager to get to the next lock before us. With the variety of boats it made for some interesting locking, The ‘stern wheeler’ went into one lock and the owner of the gin palace who had overtaken us suddenly wished he hadn’t when invited into the lock, his crew busily ran around the deck adjusting the fenders in the hope of preventing any ‘contact’ between the boats. The ‘stern wheeler’ has propulsion jets and the two ‘wheels’ just coast in the water.

As we approached Bray locks we passed a narrowboat called ‘YAFFLE’ – one of our members? But the crew were engrossed and ignored us, couldn’t see a CWF sticker. We had a bit of a wait at Bray locks – but once we were in a Kingfisher flew up through the lock much to the surprise of those of us who saw it, it was a little bigger than ‘normal’.

OK, any ornithologists reading this? We have seen some ducks – about 2/3rds the size of a British standard Mallard – with blue beaks, orange eyes and dark brown plumage, can anyone tell us what they are as our ‘Book of ducks’ doesn’t include them.

Having encountered NB ‘BELTANE’ at several locations on our travels we invited the crew for supper and so both boats moored up south of Cliveden House. Nick, the boat owner and Tony, his dad, were having a weeks break. Small world though, as they hail from Cricklade, just down the road from us. Tony’s granddad was the lock keeper at Latton lock and he was bought up around Latton Basin (Thames and Stroudwater/Cotswold canal).

Mon 22nd Sep, what a difference a day makes. We had having moored south of Cliveden House we decided to have a walk before setting off. The weather was decidedly autumnal and leaves had fallen on to the boat roof. The plastic ‘Gin palaces’ were mostly back on their moorings. All in all then a slack start to the day and we set off at half ten.

The Thames we encountered today changed it’s character several times, from views of expensive houses and gardens to tree lined valleys to almost the appearance of a lake. There were desolate stretches not unlike the upper Thames and areas with little shacks and ‘mobile homes’ along the waterfront. We stopped in Marlow for a couple of hours and Mo took the opportunity for a look around. I had to admit to feeling a bit shabby and returned to the boat. By half 3 in the afternoon the sky was looking quite threatening and we had some rain. It passed by the time we were ready to move off and, although cool, the afternoon was OK. We have seen some 4 pairs of Red Kites, one of which hovered over the boat eyeing up the ‘deck hand’ – not that a toy poodle has much meat on him!

Those of you with experience of the Thames will be aware that you have to ‘know your locks’ and the Nicholson guide is not as accurate as it might be. By that I mean: the sign of a tap at a lock (Nicholsons) may not mean a hose point suitable for a narrowboat. So you need to have a Thames lock guide that shows a ‘reel’ for hoses. Anyway, we had to make it to Hurley lock to uplift water and dispose of ‘other stuff’. Low and behold, moored on the water point was a hire cruiser, no one to be found and the hose finished with and left lying around. The hirers eventually returned as we were filling up, complete with 2 rottweillers, and they were most put out when we explained the etiquette of water points etc. The first folk with that sort of disposition we have met this holiday – but you just knew they were ‘those sort of people’.

We have moored just short of Hambleden Lock and paid £5.00 for the privilege of putting 2 mooring pins in the ground!!

Finally, again my apologies for not replying to any specific posts or PMs – I will do so as soon as I can get a faster connection. (I don’t seen to be able to update my map position either). It has taken over 20 mins to post this reply!!!

Tony

The description of the duck sounds like it is a 'Ruddy duck'

From RSPB site:

Ruddy ducks are small, stout freshwater diving ducks with broad, short wings and narrow, stiff tails. The male ruddy duck has a bright chestnut body, black crown, white cheeks and blue bill. They swim buoyantly, often with the tail cocked up, and can also gradually submerge without diving. They hardly ever leave the water, being very ungainly on land. They were brought here from North America to enhance captive wildfowl collections. Subsequent escape and successful establishment outside of the UK has resulted in a European conservation problem due to them hybridising the white-headed duck.

What ho reader, an important day to day. Champagne on ice, beers in the fridge, canapés ready, cucumber sandwiches made and crusts removed! Today Neil D joins us!

We cast off at 09.00 to try and make it to Henley for 10.00 and so as not to incur another mooring fee. It was a surprisingly long cruise to our first lock at Hambleden, taking us 40 mins even at 2000RPM, the river is clearly still flowing strongly. The weir from the lock was quite fierce although the lock keeper said it was rather subdued- and still there were flocks of parakeets flying around. After the lock we swing round the long left hand bend into the ‘Henley Reach’ and inched our way towards the RV with Neil at the bridge. However, about halfway there I noticed a solitary figure walking along the footpath, the figure waved and we manoeuvred across the fairway. I was half expecting a member of the Thames Rowing Club to tell us we couldn’t moor – it didn’t happen – and we made a smooth pick-up without touching the sides, thus Neil was welcomed aboard ‘ELEMIAH’. Mo took the opportunity to do some ‘house work’ whilst Neil and I chatted although the pair of them were comparing notes on houses they would like to own along the river. At 11.00 we arrived at Marsh lock and with the ‘fried egg’ sign showing we had to operate the lock ourselves. Over to you Neil!!

With the river changing it’s character at almost every turn we felt obliged to indulge in a beer or so, as we approached Sonning lock Mo appeared with a tray of mixed rolls and so it went on – food, drink, lock ……. Eventually things hade to come to an end and we passed the turn to the K&A in order to restock our food reserves from the Reading Tesco – we found, last year, that reprovisioning on the K&A could be very hit and miss. Neil left us shortly after 3PM with a promise to return later in the week. We cast off again at 4 to return to the K&A so take your pick: at 16.10 we turned off the Thames, at 16.20 we entered Blakes lock and at 16.40 passed under the bridge signed as entering the BW part of the K&A (so it is a very flexible interpretation).

What a change, from the properties on the Thames to those on the K&A through Reading! However, it is all interesting and we met some characters at County lock and some happy drunks under the bridge after it.

The arrival at Fobney lock, which is by a water treatment works, served as a salutary reminder of the force of the weirs that can be found on the K&A. Only a tiny fraction of the Thames weirs, it discharges straight across the path into the lock – it pays not to be ‘precious’ about boat paintwork on the K&A!! The temperature had fallen and with wet ropes after the earlier rain shower my fingers were starting to play up, so we decided to moor for the night about 300 yards (not quite 300 metres for our metric colleagues) beyond Fobney lock. Not ideal – some lad is riding a motorcycle at crazy speeds up and down the towpath (it’ll be dark soon and he has neither silencer nor lights) buts needs must.

Supper was wild salmon with crunchy horse radish topping, buttered new potatoes, sweet corn and broccoli, followed by strawberry cheescake. The wine:Vina Maipo a Sauvignon Blanc from Chile.

Just for interest I thought I would include the extract from Mo’s diary on the trip – just to give you a more balanced view! :

I was woken during the night with noise from a wild party going on. A large flock of Canada geese had gathered opposite the boat and were having a whale of a time! Intermittent cackling, squawking and whooping all with a background of flapping wings and splashing water! Must have been a celebration of some sort, as one seemed to give a speech then the rest went wild!! Maybe it was the Canadian goose government challenge!

Anyway, in the dark early hours the boat cleaning squad set to work, usually the swans peck around the water line of the boat picking off algae but this time it was about 10 geese as far as I could see in the grey light – all peck pecking – tap, tap taptaptap, tap, tap, rat-a-tat, tap. I dropped back off to sleepand woke to a bright morning. We will be heading off promptly today. I woke at 08.00 so our prompt getaway will probably be around 0930-1000 I expect. I seem to have more to do these days!

We actually left our moorings at 0900!! Saw a few Canada geese asleep, which is hardly surprising after last night. It is becoming cloudy now and the sky ahead is a tad grey. Looks like we’ll have diluted tea in a while!

We picked up a passenger today but made him work his passage. It was a lovely chap called Neil Dudman a cuddly sort of guy! Very easy to chat to with a lovely sense of humour! Picked him up at Henley Bridge – which has a carving of Old Father Thames upon it, and on the otherside is Mother Thames! He helped us drink some beer, do some locks, acted as lock keeper on one and did a very good job so we let him back on.

We passed more gorgeous houses, very rich area! and had a cruiser admire our ‘craft’ and Blackstone seats!!

I saw some totally captivating, beautiful black swans. A breeding pair outside of Reading Tesco (where we topped up yet again! No sherry this time though!). They have slender necks, orange eyes and beaks, the beaks have a white line towards the tip. They have a beautiful ruff on both sides of their rear, a bit like an old fashioned bestle! Many photo’s later ………. I got, I think, a decent one

Finally we got on to the K&A. Not before a good soaking though! It tipped down outside Tesco. Neil left us there, promising to come back next week to help.

The locks – well – sooo different. The first lock we encountered had no lock keeper – displayed a fried egg which meant he was on his break. They have an awful lot of ‘breaks’ .. and phone calls. The number of locks with fried egg signs have been numerous. I think they have a break hourly!!

Anyway, I digress, it was not a particularly well looked after lock. Weedy and overgrown with no grease on the paddles (good in one way as it meant I didn’t get greased up for a change! But I’ve taken to wearing dark colours when locking as I get so messy!) The doors creaked open and creaked closed.

Then we went through Reading where I could NOT find Tooleys boat yard. I wonder where it’s gone?? After 200 years you’d have thought I could have stayed put!

Came to a huge deep lock with gate paddles a tremendously powerful flow of water came through them. Before them was a very strong current from a weir. Fortunately Tony was driving, else ‘ELLIE’ would have been thrown all over the place and I would’ve been thrown off. Anyway safe passage through.

Found a quiet straight mooring sheltered from the wind and settled down about 6.15PM. 6.30 the silence was shattered by a dreadful motorbike speeding along the towpath. This happened several times I was tempted to a) put the centre rope across the path …………. (EDITED TO SAVE PROSECUTION!!!!)

So dear reader, same day different interpretations!!

Bottle, thank you for the information about the Ruddy duck but we are not overly convinced that the ruddy ducks we saw were the Ruddy ducks you described – there are some differences we think.

Thanks for joining us Neil, look forward to your next visit.

Any CWF members on the K&A, please look out for us and the invite for tea/wine/beer remains extant.

Wed 24 Sep. Good evening and welcome to the latest edition of our adventures. We got off to a good start leaving our mooring at 08.45 with reasonable weather and certainly warmer than the Thames yesterday. You will know that the K&A is an amalgam of river and canal and it is not long out of Reading before the navigation takes on the persona of a river. In fact it is very reminiscent of the Thames above Inglesham – it feels almost as though one shouldn’t be trespassing upon it. Indeed the atmosphere is so far removed from a once important commercial waterway that it is difficult to imagine it – towpaths disappear and the banks are tree lined. Surprisingly there was very little bird life apparent (and absolutely NO parakeets). It comes as almost a surprise to arrive at a lock.

Those of you yet to venture on to the K&A should make it a priority, not just because of the rural tranquillity but because of the air of dereliction that surrounds some of the locks – get there before the ‘air’ becomes a reality! Not only that but the variety of paddle operating gear you will encounter – early on in you voyage you will encounter hydraulic gear on the bottom paddles but an astonishing variety of mechanisms at the top gate. Watch out for the gate paddles as even the most benign lock can produce turbulence of severe violence. Having passed through Southcot and Burghfield locks we arrived at Garston lock at 10.45, this lock is a ‘turf lock’ thus introducing another K&A anomalies. 20 mins later and the shallow Sheffield lock was next – this has scalloped sides and is much longer than locks prior and subsequent – why? With a rise of just 2’ 2” you can easily find yourself opening the gate paddles with ‘gay abandon’ (gay = old English joyful, happy etc NOT the modern hijack of the term) DON’T – this lock has a very vicious sting.

If you are venturing along the K&A and you have an interest in things Broad Gauge GWR then keep a look out for significant amounts of ‘bridge rail’ still in use in parts of the canal.

We arrived at Tyle Mill sanitation station and took on board water and disposed of rubbish etc – yet another rat in the red wheelie bin! We moved off at 12.20 just as the drizzle started – Mo prepared the lock and opened the swing bridge. Many of the swing bridges are electrically operated – you get such a power rush stopping the traffic. At 13.30 we arrived at Townes lock and we started through, now Mo saves time rushing around the locks by closing one paddle, crossing the lock and opening the gate – not so this time! The bottom gates leaked so much that as soon as one of the top paddles is closed the lock starts to ‘empty’. Back to plan B.

With the tank dip stick showing ¼ tank remaining I thought it wise to stop at Reading Marine, Aldermarston Wharf. I figured I would need approx 110 litres but only required 97, so I’m beginning to get to grips with the tank capacity. We moved off at 14.30 with, once again, Mo trotting ahead to prepare the lock prior to opening the lift bridge. A moored boat above the lock showed no apparent life form and so Mo prepared to empty the lock in our favour – as she started the first ‘click’ of the paddle gear a ‘brown leather hat’ appeared and presented his palm to her from a distance. Despite Mo asking if he was locking down all she received in reply was the palm of a hand!! In the end she decided he was locking down and so came and opened the lift bridge and I moored immediately below the lock. Now we try to be happy and helpful boaters and Mo went back to the lock to offer some help, she was ‘allowed’ to open the bottom paddles. At this point the ‘brown leather hat’ abandoned his boat and, smelling of excessive beer, wandered off to the lift bridge to open it. PS access to lift bridge from locks impossible once bridge is lifted. Now the fun began – we have a boat in the lock coming down and the owner, having abandoned it, playing with the lift bridge. Mo, in a spirit of good will, went to check that his centre rope was slack enough and, having determined that it was, realised that all was not right. The first I knew, down at ‘ELLIE’, was when Mo rapidly released the bottom paddles shouting something at me about bringing my winding handle up. I arrived to find the front of his boat nearly submerged with the deck awash. I opened one top paddle partly and returned to watch the effect and shouted to the owner. His response was to stand by the lift bridge mechanism saying ‘it’s all right’ (X-ray eyes clearly). Anyway, our actions were just prompt enough to save the boat from sinking. In the end the owner returned and took control of his boat saying ‘these things happen’. He returned to the bridge, opened it and somehow came back to his boat, we continued to let the water out and eventually he exited the lock in a very wet boat. No word of thanks just a ‘you’ll of learnt your lesson, always keep an eye on your boat’ to Mo, as if the blame was Mo’s!! She was, and still is seathing. So if you see a single-handed narrowboat in green with a Celtic design on the front (and ‘SORTED’ in small letters on the side) driven by a ‘brown leather hat’ – watch out for the fun and games (and the smell of stale beer and stagnant water).

Forgot to mention Woolhampton lock - an interesting challenge comprising swing bridge, strong cross current immediately before the lock and the lock. The lock has to be prepared before the bridge is opened and then, maintaining power throughout, you 'go for it'. The owner of the narrowboat moored by the cross current needs his bumps reading for leaving it there although it is covered in car tyres. I'll try and post some pictures but I'm still having probs uploading. Now moored on the 48hr moorings just above the lock - made it in time as all the moorings were occupied 1/2 hr later.

Edited by TeeELL

Hi All, Evening Tony & Mo!.

Big thank you for you both for allowing me the pleasure of a trip on your boat, I had a great day!. Started off in Henley on Thames and ended up in Reading before my Taxi arrived at Tesco's. Lots of banter, laughs and chats.......fine people & great company!...... not sure about the 'cuddly' bit though.....didnt think I was that fat!!!!.

A few highlights amongst many.... Beer..... Fresh Home Scones.... (which Tony delightfully prepared)....Tea...... Dogs...... Posh Houses..... Beer....... Driving....... Black Swans....... Posh Houses.......Perfect Lunch (selection of Cheese+Spring Onion / Fresh Egg Salad / Ham & Mustard......

I had such a great time i'm going back for more!.

Rendezous with Emiliah!

735802687b1c02a881664db8fe7c0a610123673e69b2fd6be3b8758066942caf6220f743.jpg

Tony showing off. Although he is holding the rope, the boat is actually tied on the lock with the centre rope and the bow rope.......

1875922428685e62b5b63b1c3342584fcea81867919005b6270f4c0509248d8a42304602.jpg

Mo looking elegant whilst hard at work....

21432629e5e9660bb4a874d231f1a8d8e19867c1aad1a38a9b882a326b6f982caa9b6aab.jpg

Ahhhhh..... the best way to Narrowboat!........ I know mine was an Abbotts Finger, not sure what Tony's was......although mine was rudely knocked off at a lock!.....

649612694491aa5a1a3177007730f2204a5ca9377bf652f529dcd7d5b0e16e016c12fc75.jpg

Tony & Mo play an interesting game at locks to beware!!!...... its a game of try and get as much info from your fellow boaters as possible.

5120870995fe3979149f37d1b6ba54862bd8273561a374eac8faa4446ec58a14688ae894.jpg

Edited by Neildudman