Of Cancer, Chemo and Cruising

TeeELL

Featured Posts

Some of you may have noticed that I've not been making any contributions to the Forum for some time ("praise be" I hear you cry!!) Well, a diagnosis of cancer rather focussed my mind elsewhere and those who attended Moley's 50th at the beginning of the year will know that I made it to the party just 2 weeks after the second op. Anyway, moving on, I was scheduled for 6 sessions of 'wipeover chemo' - a sort of chemo insurance. Mo and I worked out the end date of the chemo and decided that starting our 10 week (yes 10 weeks :lol: ) cruise towards the end of August would allow me time to 'recover' from some of the side effects. Unfortunately, my Oncology Consultant had other ideas and on the day I though I would see the end to this episode she informed me that I'm supposed to be on a 12 (fortnightly) chemo protocol - that, of course meant I was only halfway through. Bang goes the cruise I thought.

After some thought and extended perusal of Canalplan AC (on those occasions when it has been available) Mo and I decided that we would still go on with the cruise even though we are going to have to hire a car every 2 weeks in order to high-tail it back to Swindon for my chemo! So, where are we going? Starting at our boat club we will join the Birmingham and Fazely and then the Coventry Canal (aiming to visit some boating friends based near Tamworth). From Braunston Jn we will head east to join the Grand Union to Limehouse basin then back round to Brentford and on to the Thames. We then plan to cruise down to Bristol and return, then back on the Thames to Oxford and up the Oxford canal. (I daresay we will encounter Maffi and/or Bones at some stage).

Once back in the Midlands we will see how the time is going and may head up to Llangollen as it will be October at this stage and things should have quietened down. As ever, if you see 'ELEMIAH' please give us a wave, or, if we are moored - stick your head round the door for a cup of tea or a glass of wine. I hope to keep things up to date on-line using BT Openzone.

Some of you may have noticed that I've not been making any contributions to the Forum for some time ("praise be" I hear you cry!!) Well, a diagnosis of cancer rather focussed my mind elsewhere and those who attended Moley's 50th at the beginning of the year will know that I made it to the party just 2 weeks after the second op. Anyway, moving on, I was scheduled for 6 sessions of 'wipeover chemo' - a sort of chemo insurance. Mo and I worked out the end date of the chemo and decided that starting our 10 week (yes 10 weeks :lol: ) cruise towards the end of August would allow me time to 'recover' from some of the side effects. Unfortunately, my Oncology Consultant had other ideas and on the day I though I would see the end to this episode she informed me that I'm supposed to be on a 12 (fortnightly) chemo protocol - that, of course meant I was only halfway through. Bang goes the cruise I thought.

After some thought and extended perusal of Canalplan AC (on those occasions when it has been available) Mo and I decided that we would still go on with the cruise even though we are going to have to hire a car every 2 weeks in order to high-tail it back to Swindon for my chemo! So, where are we going? Starting at our boat club we will join the Birmingham and Fazely and then the Coventry Canal (aiming to visit some boating friends based near Tamworth). From Braunston Jn we will head east to join the Grand Union to Limehouse basin then back round to Brentford and on to the Thames. We then plan to cruise down to Bristol and return, then back on the Thames to Oxford and up the Oxford canal. (I daresay we will encounter Maffi and/or Bones at some stage).

Once back in the Midlands we will see how the time is going and may head up to Llangollen as it will be October at this stage and things should have quietened down. As ever, if you see 'ELEMIAH' please give us a wave, or, if we are moored - stick your head round the door for a cup of tea or a glass of wine. I hope to keep things up to date on-line using BT Openzone.

Good luck. You have made the right decision. Get out there and enjoy!

Sue

Tony

Best wishes for your continued recovery.

Hope you and Mo have a great cruise, albeit interrupted, sounds like you both deserve it!

Regards

David

Edited by Bullfrog

Hi Tony

Glad to hear you are getting sorted.

We look forward to seeing you again when you get back this way.

Bones says you can borrow her car for the chemo trips when you are in our vacinity.

I will call you later today.

After some thought and extended perusal of Canalplan AC (on those occasions when it has been available) Mo and I decided that we would still go on with the cruise

Great decision! Go for it, and may your whole health rise to the occasion.

We will look out for you on the Thames and Oxford, as we plan to leave Pewsey in September for the Thames, Oxford and GU.

• 2 weeks later...

One day to go!! My latest blast of chemo is having less of an effect on my hands and feet so I may be able to tackle the weed hatch if/when required. Tomorrow night will be spent moored at the BW facility at the top of the Perry Bar flight - not idea but relatively quiet and secure. Sunday night we plan to moor at the Dog and Doublet just beyond Minworth 'course it's a Bank Holiday so we may not get within 200 yards and I daresay there will be miles of fishermen to blast past. Monday night we are due to stop to meet with friends at the Samual Barlows marina at Alvecote after that we have 7 days to to get down to Milton Keynes to arrange a hire car to get over to Swindon Hospital for my next dose of chemo so that will be fairly leisurely (less than 5 days cruising according to Canalplan AC). So, if you see 'ELEMIAH' please give us a shout and, if we can, we will stop for a chat and a cuppa, if we are moored then stick your head round the door for a glass of wine.

Thrilled to have managed to catch up with Tony & Mo last night at Alvecote. It seems they are really enjoying their cruising and using every opportunity to treat the canal and Elemiah as a physical work out in the campaign for fitness (although why I don't know ...... I am very pleased to say Tony looks a picture of good health!)

Elemiah is a gorgeous boat. Their plans for this cruise sound so exciting.

I know they are looking forward to meeting lots more forum members along the route.

Saturday the 23rd Aug 2008 at last! Having planned and pondered the holiday for the last 2 months, it is finally upon us. Not for us the queues in an airport just a gentle drive up to Walsall. Yeh right! Well we did actually start out just about on the planned time of 10.30 but, having packed and loaded the car, found all the essentials for doing jobs on the boat and sorted out last minute issues we were pretty uptight during the journey. Having made it safely to the boat we then had the task of further sorting out the stuff that was ‘required on trip’ and that which could be left in the boat locker. By now, those of you who have been in this situation will be sitting back ready for the ‘inevitable’ errors in decision making. Yes, we have indeed left behind stuff we need and bought stuff we don’t - ho hum!

At 15.25 we finally left and worked through the first of the 2 Rushall flight locks. For those of you unsure as to the whereabouts of Longwood Boat Club, it is on the Daw End Branch of the Wryley and Essington – and it is a ‘remainder waterway’. Progress was slow due to the huge amounts of water lillies but, for the most part a gentle switch into reverse cured the problem. We worked our way down the ‘Ganzi 7’ and turned left at Rushall Junction on to the Thame Valley canal. Not the most salubrious of canals, there is much evidence of urban dumping, but we made steady progress. Our plan was to stop at the top of the Perry Barr flight, outside the BW sanitation station (I know, I know – but there really is little or no traffic on this canal, especially at this time of year!). Despite it being all but under a main road, this mooring proved both quiet and ‘safe’ being tucked away from casual eyes. Thus our first days cruising came to an end at 19.00hrs. (With 9 locks completed)

Sunday morning was a grey and miserable day initially and we lacked any motivation to ‘get on’. However, by 10.00 the day was bright and sunny and we started our descent of the Perry Barr flight at 10.20 (just to teach us – another boat arrived moments before we caste off and started the flight ahead of us). After a couple of locks it became obvious that the boat had some problems and, although I was unable to make a practical contribution to their repair, I gave then a couple of leads to follow in order to resolve their issue (no reverse). Perry Barr proved uneventful and we exited the flight at 13.10 and headed on to the ‘Salford Jns’ under Spagetti Jn. I find it fascinating passing under the complex of roads and it is all too easy to miss the gradual development of transport systems, the old road bridges, the rail bridges and finally the motorways (not to mention the canal system).

At this stage we were travelling at a very leisurely pace running at 1200 RPM which is little more than tickover, all well and good but this would come back and bit us slightly later on! We arrived at Minworth Top lock at 14.45 (I said we were taking it gently). Despite the state of the contents found in the canal on the way out of Birmingham we needed only occasional blips of reverse to clear the prop of plastic bags and other rubbish. At the Minworth bottom lock we encountered a chap and his son who helped us through the lock but he was involved in a money raising event for charity and we were ‘invited’ to stop at ‘The Boat’ Pub to partake in the various events. Sounds great you might think but events shaped up to to take the dge of the afternoon. I mentioned charity raising and Pub well that equals drinking and this chap had being doing sufficient of that to be full of ‘joi de vivre’ – you know the sort of thing ‘pass us your rope I’ll tie you up etc! It was just prior to the Pub where I made a mistake though! Dickens Bridge is a fairly ‘classic’ canal bridge and I had been distracted by our ‘helper’ – no excuse – when I realised I had made a real pigs ear of the approach. Application of power and rudder was ineffective and so was emergency reverse so in a very amateur fashion I whacked the bridge trashing a nav light etc. Having sorted out the disaster I realised that the prop was totally ineffective and so we moored outside the Pub and had lunch. So it was going to be a weedhatch job then!

Now, I’m suffering the after effects of surgery and a chemo regime that has done nothing to reduce my appetite so my stomach is in no condition to cope with our particularly awkward weedhatch. Mo rather bravely offered to clear the problem – after about 40 minutes she finally succeeded in removing a stack of material and nylon sacking from around the prop and shaft. We pressed on rather than sampling the delights of ‘The Boat’s charity function!! We reached Curdworth top lock at 17.45 and we had hoped to moor near the ‘Dog and Doublet’ as there was a steak and ale pie with our names on it! No such luck, all the moorings were full and the pub was heaving so we descended the next lock and moored and had food on board. We shutdown at 19.35 with another 25 locks under our belts.

Monday already! A shortish day cruising to Alvecote to meet some friends. Nearly an early start, we set off at 08.35 made it through Curdworth bottom lock at 09.10 and Fazeley Jn at 10.30. Glascote locks were quite busy but with boats travelling in both directions they proved easy and quick enough to negotiate. We arrived at Alvecote marina at 12.30; our friends popped over for a while and then we spent several hours washing ‘ELEMIAH’ and doing some much needed polishing (so now the boat is resplendent in one clean and polished side and one filthy side!!)

Just before 19.00 my mobile rang – it was Cheshire Rose ‘where are you?’ says she. Well I started describing where the boat was ‘I know that’ she says ‘but where are you?’. Anyway, to cut a long story short, she and ‘Post code’ where sat across at the Samual Barlows Pub waving. Anyway, they came over and we had a very convivial evening sampling ‘ELEMIAH’s` stock of wine. We found out the love of ‘Chesh’s’ life – watch out Dan - steam powered narrowboats are her thing!!!!!

Just 4 locks to add to our collection today.

With a slightly thick head, Tuesday was another slow start day. We moved off moorings at 09.55. The plan to run the washing machine (already, I hear you cry) was thwarted by a lack of water so we cruised to Bradley Green Bridge and the water point. Arriving at Atherstone flight we joined a queue for the locks – not too many boats fortunately and a few coming down. It took us from 12.50 to 16.40 to negotiate the 11 locks, again a boat ahead of us broke down – it’s BMC engine oil feed had come undone so all the oil ended up in the bilges and the diesel filter was leaking (where is Bones when you need her with Pampers and a worldly experience of such mechanical events?). We pressed on for only a further 40 minutes before mooring and ‘gave up’ near br 34. Not a pub in sight. So I’ve just typed this lot out – remember the first paragraph – well I’ve just discovered that my software etc that I need to connect to the interweb via my Vodafone, is nowhere to be found, so I must search out a BT Openzone site at some stage tomorrow!! G’nite all.

Wow, I've managed to get on-line through my Vodafone. I'll type up todays adventure and post it later.

Wednesday morning – already!! We have no particular plan for today and will make a gentle cruise towards Rugby. Our first priority is to replenish the wine cellar, can’t have forum members complaining that ‘ELEMIAH’ is a dry boat!! So at half nine we moved off with Nuneaton in our sights.

Now, those of you who have followed some of ‘ELEMIAH’s build will know that the paint-job was done by Valley Cruisers at Springwood Marina. What you may not know is that the steel\is deteriorating from under the paint in a couple of places, so I thought I’d stop to see if there may be a negotiable ‘fix’. No such luck the Boss was not on site so we purchased 84litres of fuel and some gas (if any of you are travelling the Coventry canal – look out for the ‘work boat’ selling fuel, he is 8p/ltr cheaper. (Also saw red being sold for £1.60 later in the day). So £95 lighter we continued to Nuneaton arriving at 11.45. Nuneaton is a pleasant enough town and today was market day – mind you it was quite a trudge from bridge 20 – unfortunately, the convenience of a supermarket is not to be unless you walk even further through and out of town. So we bought a fair amount from the market and returned to the boat – foldable, wheeled shopping bags are a boon when you have a mile to walk with beer and wine (oh, and meat, veg etc).

We left Nuneaton at half two still with no locks to break the day, we passed Marston Jn at 15.15 and arrived at Hawkesbury Jn a little over an hour later. We discovered, from some local boaters, that there was a Tescos on the arm to Coventry so off we went and I dropped Mo off at br 8. Whilst she went off to buy the essential Tesco’s Pale cream sherry – and other ‘stuff’ I continued on towards Coventry and the winding hole at br 6A. By 18.15 we had loaded the latest load of shopping (d’you know, I had no idea that Huggies weighed so much! Still, they should mop up the last of the water from the bilges very nicely. I couldn’t remember which brand Bones had recommended, but the Huggies were on offer apparently). I must admit that I was starting to feel quite tired and my feet were tingling (thanks chemo!!) so I was looking forward to stopping at Hawkesbury Jn. But, surprise, surprise everyone else was of the same opinion and, as Maffi is at pains to point out, boaters seem to like their space so we ended up beyond the Jn adjacent to the electricity sub-station. Today then, our total for locking was one – Sutton stop. Our total so far 50. Anyone fancy a wager on the total number of locks we will have done before our return to Longwood?

Before I start today’s report I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to all the forum members who have PM’d me with offers of transport to hospital. In addition we look forward to meeting those forum members who have indicated that they will see us at or near lock flights etc.

Thurs 28th Aug and our plan is an early start with a long push to get beyond Braunston tunnel. The early start was a little delayed aqnd it was just shy of nine o’clock before we shoved off on our days journey. The North Oxford canal is rather featureless in terms of ‘participation’ and gently flows through Midland farm land for the most part. What was most disheartening was the rubbish in one particular area around and beyond Br 19 – and, realistically, it can only be boater’s rubbish! Black bin bags strewn over the footpath their contents spilling out, Boxes of Carlesberg and the empty tins etc. Worse still were the black bin bag decorations in the bushes and trees of the off side, humanity……

We passed ROSE NARROWBOATS late morning and passed through Newbold tunnel at 1PM. Whilst I remember – for you orthinologists! we saw our second Knigfisher of the cruise. At half One we declared a stop and moored on the outskirts of Rugby. Mo started cleaning the side of the boat we hadn’t done and I went to Tesco’s for stuff we had forgotten the day before plus Guinness and more bottles of red wine.

It was just before 3PM when we moved off having completed the wash down and now we had the added interest of some locks to look forward to. Travelling out of Rugby and past Brownsover and Clifton it seemed that these towns had nothing of an industrial past to ‘interest’ the canal builders. We didn’t seem to pass any sleazy old industrial areas or semi-derelict housing estates, in fact we seemed to pass seamlessly back into the country side.

At last we reached Hillmorton locks, and a change – neither of us had encountered the twin locks system before, a group of youngsters on 3 boats were coming down so Mo had some assistance with the gates and paddles and we completed the flight in 30mins. So, how come the top pair of locks are called lock 6 and lock 7? What have I missed? Once again our plan to press on fell apart and we decided to call it a day once we passed beyond the railway bridges on the outskirts of Hillmorton. S’funny but whenever we make a decision to stop either there are wall to wall narrowboats or the bank proves unsuitable – it was the bank so we pressed on until we reached an area of canal with pilings to moor to. The area is next to Barby Hill about 3 miles north of Braunston Turn. However, the footpath was on the right side to enable the recently washed side of the boat to be polished, so out came the Mer. Several boats have also moored nearby. Dinner was Beef Stefado and rice with ‘Yellow Tail’ Merlot to wash it down Mmmmmmm.

Tomorrow should see us on the Grand Union but quite where we will stop is an unknown at the moment – as long as we make MK by early afternoon on Monday (but more likely Sun eve) that is all that matters. Once we start off again next Thur morning I will try and give a best guess as to our plan so any available forum members can come and ensure our booze supply doesn’t ‘go off’!!

So, how come the top pair of locks are called lock 6 and lock 7? What have I missed?

Hi Tony & Mo

The gauging lock (Sutton Stop) at Hawkesbury Junction is lock number 1. Hillmorton paired locks are 2 & 3, 4 & 5 and 6 & 7.

Will try and catch up with you somewhere on you journey. :lol:

All the best

John

I have just heard from Tony that arrival in Milton Keynes will be on Sunday. The plan is (according to Tony!) that Monday will be spent working on the boat, but then I asked when would be the best time for a mini-banter and he says 'can be Sun, Mon and or Wed'. So I assume Tuesday is the car rental trip to Swindon.......

So - the question is/questions are:

Who is around on any of those days? Day or evening? Where? I hope Tony can help with the last question!!

I just said I'd put out a prelim flyer here.....to see what can be set up.

Sits back in hope of floods of good responses. :lol:

Fri 29 Aug 2008

OK,no point pretending we didn’t plan an early start and sticking to that plan we didn’t achieve an early start! It was nearly 10 before we cast off to continue our adventure. There were a fair few boats around through the first part of the morning, many of them ‘ROSE’ boats running for home. We made Braunston Turn at 11.10 stopping for water some 15mins later. Whilst I waited for the tank to fill Mo walked off to the first lock. Tank full I continued towards the locks and reached the first lock at midday. We locked up with NB ‘BRIGHT EYES’ brand new ‘live aboards’ having collected the boat the previous day. It took us a fairly leisurely hour fifteen to work up the flight and we left the other boat as we decided to stop for lunch.

At 14.25 we resumed the cruise donning waterproofs in anticipation of a wet journey through Braunston tunnel the transit through the tunnel took 25mins and we encountered 3 boats in the opposite direction but no soaking, in fact the tunnel was remarkably dry until about 50 feet from the exit when a solitary ‘shower’ wet along the centreline of the boat. We had entered the tunnel in sunshine but exited it to an overcast sky. For the next 35 mins to Norton Jn we cruised with not a single boat to be seen or passed. Of course this didn’t bode well for the Buckby flight and, sure enough there were no boats to share the locks and boy are there some heavy lock gates to operate!! Bye and bye we gradually caught up with a boat ahead and, indeed, there was a boat behind us so we worked a couple of locks slowly and set the paddles for the boat behind so with 3 locks to go they were able to join us. Fate dealt a hand and, as a consequence of this boat meeting, Mo and I have an appointment in Islington to help with some fund raising Sunday week!!

At the bottom of the locks a glance at the map showed that both motorway and railway sat either side of the canal for some distanced. The noise of the traffic and Mr Branson’s high speed trains proved that we would have to cruise for about an hour and a half to find somewhere peaceful. At 19.35 we moored just beyond ‘The Narrow Boat’ pub in Weedon Bec. Supper was sausages in onion gravy with garlic mashed potatoes, carrots and peas washed down with more of the Merlot.

Looking at the map suggests we have 2 days fairly gentle cruising to Milton Keynes so we might try and stop at Stoke Bruerne Sat night and make MK for Sunday. We are having a mini banter with Sue1946 although whether it is Sun, Mon or Wed I’m not sure yet. If anyone is about MK please come and join us.

Well, Peartree Bridge Marina is the destination for tomorrow (Sunday). This is an extraordinary coincidence, as I was there at the carvery with friends only last Thursday!

Tony and Mo are at Braunston tonight, and I will confess I have no idea how long the journey is to MK, but they will be staying for a few days.

So - who's up for the mini-banter? I've got Monday and Tuesday off, Yoda will now know the 'where', so it's now down to the 'who?'

Oh, yes, and Blues walloped Manchester 62-0 in the season's opener!! I took step-d and new fiance for lunch and the game.

I'm a happy lady tonight!!

Well, Peartree Bridge Marina is the destination for tomorrow (Sunday). This is an extraordinary coincidence, as I was there at the carvery with friends only last Thursday!

Tony and Mo are at Braunston tonight, and I will confess I have no idea how long the journey is to MK, but they will be staying for a few days.

So - who's up for the mini-banter? I've got Monday and Tuesday off, Yoda will now know the 'where', so it's now down to the 'who?'

Sue,

I'm assuming there is an error somewhere in this post....

Unless Tony and Mo engage warp drive, if they are really currently in Braunston, they are unlikely to be at Peartree Bridge tomorrow, I think.

CanalPlanAC gives....

Total distance is 36.08 miles and 21 locks. There are at least 3 small aqueducts or underbridges and 2 tunnels.

This will take 15 hours, 23 minutes which is 1 days, 6 hours and 23 minutes at 9 hours per day.

(I suppose they could already be at the top of Braunston locks, which would save a bit, but even so....

I don't think we could make it, but would be interested of any "revised" schedule!

Alan

Sat Aug 30th. A slow start to the day with a check of the engine and a dose of Huggies to absorb the little bit of water in the bilges. So we moved off moorings at 10.25 for a relatively short cruise to Stoke Bruerne.

If, dear reader, you have followed any of my ‘TeeELLs Canal history’ you will know that 30 years ago Mo and I did some of this journey on hire boat ‘RICHMOND TOO’ out of Foxton. Well we spent most of the present journey trying to recognise any part of the canal. It was, finally, Gayton Junction when I recognised the water point where I had quite impressed myself with my boat handling of 30 years ago – ever modest!!

There are so many changes with new marinas lining the canal although the state of the towpath is better than it was. On reflection we decided that 30 years of tree growth over the canal may be one marked change. No Kingfishers seen today. We reached Blisworth tunnel at 13.25 and it took 40 mins to get through, the eastern end of the tunnel was particularly smokey and the exit of light remained obscured from view for quite some time. Passed 4 boats with one hire boat having to use a LED torch as their tunnel light had failed shortly after they entered the tunnel.

To our surprise and delight moorings were available and we tied up at 14.15. With such wonderful sunny weather it will come as no surprise that the place was full of gongoozlers, the pubs were full so we hit our stocks. Spent the afternoon making the boat look a little smarter by touching up the areas our paintwork where the cream colour had flaked off. For the first time this trip the TV aerial went up so Mo could watch some choirs singing. We also made a break for the pub for our evening meal.

Off to Milton Keynes and we are planning to stop at Peartree Bridge, which is near the MK marina (hoping to put the boat in there for a couple of days). We will be meeting Sue1946 and any other forum member who is in the area. There is a pub nearby but the boat is also a suitable venue.

That is all for now folks. (I didn’t expect this report to be quite so long given that little really happened today!)

Just to confirm - NB 'ELEMIAH' plus crew will be arriving at Peartree Bridge Milton Keynes at some time tomorrow (Sunday) we will be remaing until Thurs morning when we continue our journey to London. Happy to attend/host mini banter Sun, Mon or Wed evenings. Very much hope to see other forum members - other than Cheshire Rose and Postcode we've not encountered anyone else thus far :lol:

Tony,

err, sooooooooorrryy!

My keyboard (brain?) has a strange configuration today!!

Surely you all know that Braunston is spelled Stoke Bruerne?

Well, I got a b in there didn't I??

Whilst it has been a glorious day here today I believe the forecast is pretty dire tomorrow.

I'm planning for a Monday visit so who else is able to come?

I do hope Mo agreed with the choir final! My best choice came 3rd!! Typical........

I'm planning for a Monday visit so who else is able to come?

Hi Sue (and Tony),

We'd love to try and get involved, but OH resumes work on Monday, making things tricky.

Are you planning an evening or daytime link-up ?

We might have to wait until Tony and Mo have moved further down into our territory, (Tring summit, and the "downhill" bit....)

Alan (& Cath)

Please accept my apologies if I don't appear to reply to some posts. Sue, Mo wanten 'Revelation' to win. I complete the days log on word before coming on-line and cutting and pasting the text. As follows:

Sunday 31 Aug 2008 and a week’s cruising completed, only 7 or 8 to go!!

The morning broke bright and clear was misty, in fact so misty it was not possible to see further than about 3 boats ahead – it certainly wasn’t possible to see the locks. Dipped the fuel tank which revealed that we had used a bit less than a third of a tank after 28 engine hours (seems a little excessive).

Having topped up the water tank we moved to the lock and, with the assistance of the lock keeper started the descent out of Stoke Bruerne. At the second lock we ‘caught-up’ another boat and completed the remainder of the flight together. We stopped at the sanitation point at the bottom of the flight having taken 1hr 15min to complete the decent. With the weather forecast suggesting thunder and rain developing in the afternoon we pressed on for MK.

Shortly after moving off again the rain started – the first rain of any significance we have had since starting our cruise. It eased off by the time we reached Cosgrove lock. Can we commend to you visiting the little boaters stall set-up by the lock – it is run by an enterprising young lad with a selection of sensible bits and pieces. (The solar charged ‘bug zapper’ he sells comes very highly recommended and is available in black or chrome finish). He is there on Saturdays and Sundays.

As we pushed on to Wolverton we recognised nothing from our journey of 30 years ago – not surprising really. We stopped at Br71 not because we can’t pass a Tesco’s without stopping but because we needed provisions – really, honest. Having dragged the entire contents of the supermarket back to the boat (thank goodness for wheeled bags) we moved off again at 14.35 for the final leg of the journey – just an hour away. Well actually nearly 3 hrs away as it turned out and boy have they built a lot of additional bridges. We arrived at Peartree bridge at 17.15 mooring just before the bridge – just as well as the carvery seemed a little lively but, more importantly, because the boats on the mooring rings beyond the bridge had spaced out to leave about 40’ between themselves! Ho hum. Planning to leave the boat in the marina whilst I am off for my chemo.

Once again I’ve managed to write more than I anticipated after such an inconsequential journey!

Hi Tony

rev came3rd - much to my dismay

Seems no further takers for our mini - banter.

Such a shame you were not on land for my neighbourhood banter tonight!

Such a great laugh!

I hope to see you and Mo tomorrow (Monday PM)?

Let me know if this is not good?

Sue

I'm now home after a lovely few hours aboard 'Elemiah'. Many thanks to Tony and Mo for excellent hospitality, great company and luscious cake!!

The addition of Alan and wife (so sorry, the Alzheimer's just kicked in again and name has fled!) made a merry party.

Hope you have a safe trip to Swindon and that the rest of the trip goes smoothly. Watch out for those weirs!!