Of Cancer, Chemo and Cruising

TeeELL

Featured Posts

Mon 1st Sep 2008. Apart from moving 100 yards to ‘more secure’ moorings we have made no progress on our journey – but then we have achieved our plan.

We had a very slow start to the day and went across to the ‘Peartree Pub’ for a very nice carvery lunch. After that we rode our new fold-up bikes to the Car Rental place – just to see how far it was and to determine if it was a viable option for tomorrow morning – so we have booked a taxi!!

Had a ‘mini banter’ this afternoon with Sue1946 and about an hour later the Finchers arrived. We held the ‘banter’ on ELEMIAH and I am fingers crossed that we entertained to an appropriate level. We may see the Finchers later in the week as we get closer to their patch.

That is it for now, I will post some photos over the next couple of days.

Had a ‘mini banter’ this afternoon with Sue1946 and about an hour later the Finchers arrived. We held the ‘banter’ on ELEMIAH and I am fingers crossed that we entertained to an appropriate level. We may see the Finchers later in the week as we get closer to their patch.

The entertainments and refreshments were more than adequate, Tony. Thanks for the excellent hospitality, (and what exactly were those delicious nuts!).

What a lovely boat!

We both came away very impressed that you don't come across as someone who has had a health scare, either in appearance, or in attitude. Good on you.

A couple of snaps from Cath....

The hosts....

Tony_and_Mo.jpg

The guests (excluding photographer!)

Alan_and_Sue.jpg

(Sue, Cath apologises for the flowers sprouting from your head...).

Let us know if you'd like some lock crew for Friday, (sorry no YSL windlasses here - ours are more Tesco!).

Alan & Cath

Edited by alan_fincher

Justifiable revenge for me forgetting Cath's name!!

(I had been trying both Julie and Debbie in my head, and rejected them both! Neither has a 'b'.) :lol:

Just a great afternoon, and as Mo said, so nice to put names to faces. Also, to say in a similar way to Alan's words, so good to see Tony so happy and relaxed and clearly having a wonderful trip.

A lovely couple having a great time on a beautiful boat.

Firstly the nuts: they are Rosemary and Sea Salt mixed nuts from ............. you guessed it Tesco's. Now as promised a few photos from the journey so far:

IMG_0113.jpg

In my text on spagetti junction I mentioned the variety of transport (in terms of bridges) that exist over the canal. This shot is just a little too late to show the old road bridge but you can see a railway bridge in the distance and, of course, the motorways above.

IMG_0134.jpg

A sporting young lady.

IMG_0143.jpg

You wouldn't want this sofa wrapped around your prop - one of many 'interesting' items along the Coventry arm

IMG_0145.jpg

Just to show that the K&A isn't the only canal with unusual boats, I include this example!!

IMG_0157.jpg

'ELEMIAH' on a wash day!!

IMG_0158.jpg

A close up so you can check out the washing.

IMG_0174.jpg

Sorry, I did edit the photo to rotate it 90deg but it has been lost in the translation. We had to reflect upon this photo to determine which way was up.

IMG_0191.jpg

Forum member Sue 1946 posing outside the boat.

IMG_0192.jpg

Our 3 forum visitors - Sue, Alan and Cath.

We will be back on-board tomorrow (Wed) and continuing our meander south - although we may get stopped in our tracks at Cowley lock (see stoppages for details).

I have also joined the 'where we are' thingy that you can find through Maffi's Blog. I've forgotten the URL and I'm not on my home PC to look it up!! I'll find it later and post.

'Till the next time

Firstly the nuts: they are Rosemary and Sea Salt mixed nuts from ............. you guessed it Tesco's.

Damn! I just read this after returning from...... Tesco!

Great pictures!

Cath says you can photograph her again!

You've confused us with the superb tunnel shot. I feel it ought to be Braunston, but somehow it doesn't seem correct. (We bypassed Braunston this year by coming down the Leicester, so I don't have recent memories to go by).

Which one is it, then, please ?

Alan

After some discussion we are agreed that the tunnel shot is indeed the eastern end of Braunston tunnel. Well the bad news is that I cannot have my chemo as my bloods havn't recovered! So that means another car rental trip next week ho hum.

Medical note.

I have one recommendation: Blokes especially: If your bowel movement become irregular or different don't delay as I did go see your doctor. If I had, then I would have had one Op and no chemo, instead I delayed and 'IT' spread. Sorry :lol:

Edited by TeeELL

You ARE doing the right thing, my wife is half way through a 24 mth chemo treatment. She has to go back to Sheffield every 3 wks for 4 to 5 days, she uses the train so we have been cruising between railway stations, its not that bad. Since May we have been to Banbury, Warwick, Alvechurch, Stratford, Leamington Spa and now I am near Sutton Stop so I can meet her in Coventry tomorrow.

Advance booking on line, on average she pays about £10 single, for some reason 2 singles work out cheaper than a return, much better than staying at home.

After some discussion we are agreed that the tunnel shot is indeed the eastern end of Braunston tunnel. Well the bad news is that I cannot have my chemo as my bloods havn't recovered! So that means another car rental trip next week ho hum.

Medical note.

I have one recommendation: Blokes especially: If your bowel movement become irregular or different don't delay as I did go see your doctor. If I had, then I would have had one Op and no chemo, instead I delayed and 'IT' spread. Sorry :lol:

I find it odd discussing the ins and outs of one bum!!!

What ho dear reader,

not much to report for the last 2 days. The Tues/Wed hospital run was, unfortunately, a waste of time as I was not able to have the chemo so we have to repeat the car rental and ‘home run’ again next week :lol:.

Anyway, having dropped off the rental car we returned to the boat and decided to move a ways, as much to charge the batteries as anything (they had been powering the mains fridge for some 20 hours.) We cruised for an hour and a half, through Fenny Stratford lock and moored for the night just beyond Br 97.

Thur 4 Sep. With the rain pouring down we had no incentive to move and so we stayed put until 10.55 when the rain abated. We cruised on to the Willow Bridge boat yard to look around the chandlers for some chrome curtain rod – no luck (we probably wouldn’t have been able to afford it if they had!!). We reached Stoke Hammond lock at 1215 with rain once again, some quite heavy. Half an hour later we reached Soulbury three locks with the rain really pelting down – we moored at the top and went back to the pub for a Guinness and lunch during which time the heavens really opened and we watched the hire boats braving the locks for their run home. It was 3PM before we moved off, planning to due an essential shop in Leighton Buzzard.

WRONG!!! half an hour later we moored just beyond Br 109 as huge black clouds threatened with thunder and lightning, we were safely inside when the downpour hit. We nearly continued on our way at 5PM but, with more dark clouds approaching, decided to call it a day.

And that as they say is that, in one and a bit days we have covered about half a days cruising. Good night for now.

PS. We are in regular contact with 'ENGLANDS DREAMING' and hope to intercept sometime over the weekend.

Hi Tony!

For some strange reason I thought you were further down, near Uxbridge! I stand corrected! Well then we shall keep a beady eye out for you as soon as we get back on the GU mainline, heading back up North!!!!!

See ya

'England's Dreamers'! :lol:

G’day peeps,

Now I know you are on the edge of your seats waiting for the next instalment of our adventures and, until late this afternoon I was racking by brain cell to think of something to write, so here goes:

Fri 5 Sep. Like much of the UK the morning was grey and uninviting with rain threatening and we finally made an effort and shoved off just before 10AM. We did Leighton lock at half ten and surprise, surprise stopped at Tescos Leighton Buzzard to top-up our larder (more of the nuts Alan likes – just in case…..). Having shopped (including getting a chrome shoot bolt for £2.59 instead of £6.30 that the chandlery wanted) we moved to the water point to top up – it doesn’t get any more exciting does it? !!!

It was just after 2PM when we got going again (which is more that this tale is doing – I know, I know!). 14.40 saw us at Grove lock, 15.05 at Church lock and 16.10 at Slapton lock all these passed by with no incident (and nobody to share the locks with.) We passed through Horton lock, with Mo driving and me locking and then Ivinghoe bottom lock. I walked on to Ivinhoe top lock No 33 and set the lock. I opened the gate expecting ‘ELEMIAH’ to appear at any moment, at any moment I said at ANY MOMENT!!!! Well, when I walked down under the bridge to see what the hold-up was, the boat was stuck against the opposite bank with a very ominous cloncking noise whenever the boat was put in gear. Mo was desparately trying to get the boat sorted out was with no significant response from forward or reverse gear. Back at the lock another boat was waiting to come down so I explained the situation and suggested they take the lock whilst I helped Mo sort out ‘ELEMIAH’. I found a way through a field of sheep and, when I reached the boat found Mo using the stern thrusters to get off the bank. By and by we managed to get the stern across to the towpath and, using the centre rope, finally managed to get the boat along side. By ‘finally’ I mean it took considerable time and effort: we had the wind against us so that the stern was on the towpath side but the nose was against the offside, we had the flow from the emptying lock against us followed by the flow induced by a boat coming up the lock behind us. We felt very amateurish with the boat stuck across the cut. However, we got sorted and moored up before either boat arrived. (I have to say that the boat coming down had offered to wind and tow us to a suitable mooring point).

Once again Mo braved the weed hatch (let me explain why Mo rather than me is doing the weed hatch – firstly, and most importantly, my resistance to infection is very low due to the chemo and secondly post op my stomach is rather distended and makes the contortions required to access our weed hatch challenging to say the least). Afte4r a few minuted Mo found a rope wrapped around the prop, black polypropylene “ the sort we use for the fenders” she said (a quick count revealed all ours present and correct) a moment later out came rope plus fender together with assorted bits of fabric and plastic. All in all, it took us the best part of an hour to rescue the boat and sort out the problem. We decided that enough was enough and, when we got to Ivinghoe Br no 123 we moored up for the night.

Supper this evening, beef stew followed by lemon tart.

Anne, I would think our paths will cross around about Monday - based upon our present progress.

All - I have some phots to post for today but we are out in the sticks and my internet connection is increadibly slow - so I'll try tomorrow near Berkhamstead.

'Nite all

Sat 6 Sep. We are two weeks into our trip and it is safe to say that we are behind any schedule we planned to make – but the luxury is – it doesn’t matter!! Not too much to report today. We travelled as far as Bridge 144 near ‘Top Side’ lock. Decided on an early start although it was nearly nine thirty before we had got our act together.

After Seabrook bottom lock we caught up with another boat and shared locks for a while. The guy on this other boat was on his second ever trip and ‘knew everything’ - not that that phased Mo, fortunately they stopped at a pub and we continued on our way. At mid-day we caught up with a ‘day-boat’ and spent many locks teaching them driving and locking techniques – all very successful and they were very appreciative. They turned down the Wendover arm.

About half one we reached Cowroast Marina and took onboard 80 ltrs of fuel with showers threatening we pressed on with no further incidents or boats to share locks with. So dear reader I regret that I can offer you no more an exciting read than that today. Tomorrow sees us through Hemel Hempstead and Abbots Langley and possibly Croxley Green.

Just remembered – planned to ‘spot’ ‘WILHAMINA’ but didn’t see her.

I've failed dismally to get Photobucket to upload the photos I promised yesterday. However, for the benefit of Anne and Tony on 'ENGLANDS DREAMING' here is a photo of me doing a roller landing in a Vulcan at RAF Brawdy:

BrawdyVulcan.jpg

Good day dear reader and welcome to the next gripping instalment of ‘ELEMIAH’s cruise. You will be pleased to hear that there is only, just less than, 7 weeks of this utter drivel to put up with!! But, I hear you cry, we want more (always been prone to exaggeration!) so: “are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin” ………….

You may have noticed that the weather was a bit wet last night and we spent part of the night listening to the rain drumming down on our steel roof. Fortunately it had finished by the time we started our ‘early start’. You’ve probably realised by now that our interpretation of an early start is flexible to say the least and this morning was no exception 09.45 we cast off.. I’m not going to list times at locks etc – even though I know it is your favourite part – but shortly after exiting Aspley lock I saw a boat called ‘BLUE PEARL’ I have recollections of a thread on CWF mentioning such a boat. As we passed by I scanned the windows for a CWDF sticker and, sure enough, there was one. I will now digress for a moment upon this topic – I would firstly not wish denigrate the efforts made to produce the stickers – but boy are they difficult to spot! Perhaps we might consider something more visually striking as an addition for the future.

We moored a little way down from ‘BLUE PEARL’ as a lunch stop. Post lunch we moved off moorings at 14.25, nothing untoward happened and Mo and I shared locking/driving duties – there are some really difficult to open gates on this stretch of the GU, not helped by the rain water causing the levels to exceed the capabilities of the locks. As we reached ‘Red Lion’ lock the lock mooring was obscured by one of those 14ft ‘things’. It had its bow rope tied on to the farthest away lock bollard but the width made getting into the moorings all but impossible – so Mo held alongside the ‘thing’. Musing, I wondered how long it will be before the ‘Roses and Castles’ found on some of these boats will be supplemented with panels declaring them to ‘belong’ to FMC, Samuel Barlow’s or Thos’ Claytons fleets?

When we set off at lunch time we realised that our water supply was low (well nearly empty actually) so we noted that water was available at the next lock. Unfortunately another boat beat us to it so we continued to Nash Mills lock, having arrived we were descending in the lock before I finally found the water point. For those of you, like us, not in the know, the water point is adjacent to the top lock gates and requires you to stop on the lock moorings to fill up. Well we had missed it so we realised we had a fair old slog to get to the next tap at Cassio Bridge lock. It took us the best part of 45mins to negotiate Iron Bridge lock, it’s reputation as a slow filler was enhanced by the extra high levels of water in the pound above, the waterfall over the bottom gate effectively prevented the lock level reaching the level of the upper pound – it took the efforts of 5 people to finally open the gate against the water level. Whilst still light when we topped up dusk was rapidly approaching, we decided enough was enough and reversed a couple of hundred yards to a spot next to Br 168 (a bit farther away from the railway bridge) to moor for the night.

Supper was home made garlic and rosemary potato wedges with pork chop, peas and carrots washed down with a Pinot Grigio German Reisling. Tomorrow will be a shortish day as we nedd, once again, to find a car rental place so I can return to hospital in the hope that my platelets and neutrofils have built up to an acceptable level for the chemo – so it is fingers crossed and Uxbridge here we come!!

PS. Photobucket still refuses to upload the photos from the other day. I will get to grips with it in a couple of days!

Continuing to keep abreast of your travels, and trials of boating. Iron Bridge lock is interesting at the best of times. Look forward to the next installment. Hope the blood thingies are OK next time!

Cheers

Cath

Hi Tony/Mo,

It is good to see you are still determined to keep us gripped!

Well, now that Choir and BB are finished what else will keep us alongside you both?

XFactor? Hey, that biker bloke is going to Oz BY ANY MEANS and has already used about 8 methods of transport and only just getting to France. I may like this one! Why no auditions for crew? (I'd a gone!!)

(BTW - I can't believe Yoda said that crass and thoughtless thing).

Once again, I will apologise for the nasty weather that the 3 counties have given you (even though I am a) not a real native and :lol: I think you would be receiving it any where right now!). You should have stayed hereabouts - been a dry, cloudy, bright and ok day.

I did a Grebe Cream Tea cruise today from Pitstone. Great laugh, organised by a local choir, just went to Marsworth and back, singing and laughing all the way. Some towpath folk wondered what was happening! One or two even joined in.

Well, I, for one, still want more, so just keep 'em coming and I truly hope you get the result you want tomorrow.

best wishes

Hiya reader, you will be pleased to learn that there will be a short break from travel reports. But here is the latest:

Mon 8th Sep. We really decided to go for an early start as we planned to press on a fair distance and to your surprise (and ours) we were off the moorings before nine. As we entered Cassio Br lock I noticed a boat approaching so we opened the other gate and waited for them to join us. We progressed down through the lock and cruised slowly to Common Moor lock – which was in our favour because one of the top gates was open BUT the woman at the locks chose to ignore us (and the horn) and proceeded to ‘steal’ the lock!! So a hearty thanks to the NB ‘DESTINY’.

We continued in company with the other boat (name of which escapes me) to Batchworth locks. We had to stop for a water top-up and then down for the essential shopping that we forgot at the last Tesco stop!

A bit off topic: I took on fuel at Cowroast Marina earlier in the week – might have been yesterday – whatever!! Anyway, I have found the engine to be very smoky since so I’ll treat the fuel/engine to some RedeX to see if things improve. On another issue I’ve had the mains ‘fail’ on me twice during the journey, on both occasions it was in the morning. Resetting the inverter worked the first time but failed impressively on the subsequent occasion. Having never encountered this before I couldn’t work out the cause, but in one of those all too rare ‘flash of inspiration’ moments I realised that the failure tied in with our running the Morso Squirrel during the night. A 240V Squirrel I hear you ask? No dear reader, but it is a back boiler model and I have a 240V central heating pump (should that be 230V in this day and age?). So, the pump is sucking rather a lot of energy out of the domestic batteries – particularly if it has been a short engine running day. I’ll be on the interweb identifying a more electrically economical pump. (From all I’ve heard/read 12V pumps have a working life that is as long as it takes to open the box and fit it!!!!).

It's a pity that you are doing this big cruise in such atrocious weather, but you're showing the true British spirit when weather is involved - ignore it whatever it does.

Nice to be able to keep up with your progress.

All the best

Cath

I didn't mean anything untoward by my remark. I just found it odd rather than medical. If Sue found it offensive then I am sorry.

I see Tony took no notice of the pm I sent him for a meeting. Kings Langley good, elsewhere bad. I'm a long way away. Not to worry because I shall dive bomb him!

Keep up the blog and have a dry time!

Dear reader, I know you were looking forward to a report respite but unfortunately it is not to be. I attended my hospital appointment to have my blood tested and received a call later in the afternoon to say that my neutrofils where even lower than last week and therefore I couldn’t have the chemo. So yet more money thrown away on car rental, another day of cruising lost and now I have to ensure we reach a town with moorings and car rental next Monday!! Bu&&er!!

So Mo and I returned to Batchworth today at 12.30 I was stepping on to the boat when, looking south down the canal, I saw 2 boats approaching and I just knew the first one was ‘ENGLAND’s DREAMING’ sure enough it was. Anne and Tony moored up and came and joined us for a banter and tea. Regrettably we were obliged to foreshorten the social intercourse as we had perishables in the car which was across the canal in the Tesco car park. In addition I needed to return the rental car in good time to get a lift back. So sincerest apologies to Anne and Tony for an all to brief get together – we had but a few minutes to talk Vulcans but have arranged to get together at Waddington Airshow next year.

Having moved and loaded the boat I drove off to Watford to return the car and Mo went shopping. I returned just as she was unloading the shopping – amazing considering we had everything on board already. Now, I have mentioned that, since filling at Cowroast Marina, our engine has been very smoky – well when driving home from the hospital I called in at a Motor Factors and picked up an additive. I should have opened the stick down label as one bottle only treats 50lts of diesel! I’ll put it in tomorrow and see what happens.

We escaped the magnetic grip of Tesco shortly after 4PM and pressed for Stocker’s lock, shortly after arriving as we entered the lock another boat arrived. The boat was in very tatty condition and the owner observed that he was so busy doing out other peoples boats that he had no time to do his own. He pointered out the the area to the east was where the ‘Black Beauty’ was filmed. In addition, having tild him we had come down from Walsall he explained that his boat had been built at Tipton.

If, dear reader, you have read my ‘TeeELLs canal history’ you will know that NB ‘RICHMOND TOO’ features heavily in my cruises of the late 70’s, I had heard from the owner of Foxton Boat Co that the boat (now in private ownership) was based on the southern GU and we think we passed her today about halfway between Stocker’s lock and Springwell lock. Going to compare the photo with our originals but certainly there were many of the features I remember – it might be a coincidence - we will see. (Foolishly I didn’t take a note of her reg no!

We finally moored by ‘The Horse and Barge’ pub just below the Widewater lock – if you want a cosy, friendly and character-full pub DON’T go to this one!! Thus, dear reader we conclude a part day on our cruise. Although the weather forecast for tomorrow is none too clever we plan an early start to get into London. ‘Till tomorrow I bid you good night. I’ve just checked and have ‘no notches’ on my phone – so I’ll be posting this tomorrow (Thurs) as soon as I have a good signal!!

Yoda, I must apologise for failing to contact you, I'm afraid that one thing I'm guilty of is forgetfullness, indeed I had to check my PMs as I posted this report - sure enough yours is there AND I've previously read it, so no excuse. Once again sorry, I've failed to achieve a mini 'banter' with you and offer 'ELEMIAH' hospitality - I hope we will have an opportunity to correct my shortcoming.

Yoda, I'll contact you by PM.

Thurs 11 Sep. When we moored last night it was impossible to get the boat within 12” (30cm for our metric reader!) of the bank, this morning the mooring lines were slack and the boat was rocking comfortably snuggled against the pilling. Now our plan was to make an early start to get into Paddington basin in good time for a mooring – another failed plan – our 07.30 start happened just after 9. You will \know that we look out for Kingfishers, well today my attention was drawn to a splash and, as I watched, a Kingfisher surfaced and flew off with a small fish in its beak.

At 10.10 we were approaching Uxbridge lock when I realised the boat I was looking at was ‘TAFELBERG’. Having been unable to get on-line last night due to a lack of vodafone cover I was regularly checking my phone, once I had coverage we moored and I submitted my ‘latest’ epic.

We had been cruising in drizzle but gradually things started to brighten up and off came the Gortex trousers and jackets (just in time for a momentary shower). When we reached Cowley lock I recognised the chap standing at the lock – Clive was returning from the festival at Islington that we had hoped to attend, as a result of his telling us about it. Apart from the festival being successful he also advised us that river conditions on the Thames were presently ‘challenging’; as a consequence we have changed our plans and will spend the next 5 days in London and hope that the river settles.

At Bulls Bridge Jn we realised we had a really, really serious problem!! So serious, indeed, that we couldn’t turn into the Paddington Arm – what is it? I hear you sigh, we had run out of Guinness. Fortunately, a canal side Tesco was on hand and we were able to re-stock phew!! Now Clive had advised us that the record for coconuts seen in the canal between Bulls Bridge Jn and Little Venice stood at 62, well we counted 179 today (I believe there are threads on the forum explaining this phenomenon). At shortly after 6PM (based upon the fact that I still had some sherry still in my glass) we turned along the arm to Paddington Basin, spent about 15 mins talking to the lady on board NB ‘SAUL’ to whom we had been asked to say hi by another lady boater several days ago. We moored at 16.30 on some fairly flakey moorings as everywhere else was taken.

Conveniently, I was able to nip down to Paddington booking office – home of the GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY (and the station from which my grandfather was rostered as a GWR Top-link driver) – to Swindon (where the finest steam locomotives in the British Isles were built) so I can try once more to have my chemo treatment at Great Western hospital Swindon. Off to Camden market tomorrow and then Limehouse basin and we plan to return to Paddington basin so we can walk to the train!

As a final point in passing, a lot of places we passed through or near today have echoes of the past for my family, especially my mums side of the family – she was raised in West Acton, her father operated out of Old Oak Common and so on.

That’s it for now – Good night.

PS I'll post some pictures when I can