TV Aerials

RobinJ

Featured Posts

Robin

As you will already know, TV signals (wavebands) vary around the country, the best type to cover all areas are 'Log Periodic'.

Example here: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criter...FZ&DOY=29m6, this is not a recommendation. :lol:

Following website is a mine of information about TV aerials, this page is for the log periodic: http://www.aerialsandtv.com/aerials.html#LogPeriodicTheory

Paul

From the practical point the log periodic antenna is the most usable, as there is no reflector at the back of the assembly.

The whole thing is flat, making it (relatively) easy to store inside when not in use. (The Asda one is a log periodic).

The price is somewhat obscene - you can get the same from www.cpc.co.uk for about £14 plus VAT plus carriage.

CPC also has a "tv mast finder" (my words) for around a tenner plus VAT etc, which is supposed to work with digital. It's not fantastic as you can't "peak" it, but will give you the general direction. Then you can peak the direction by using the signal strength meter built into ant Freeview tuner.

All a bit fiddly - that's why I use satellite (where possible) - it's always in the same place....

From the practical point the log periodic antenna is the most usable, as there is no reflector at the back of the assembly.

The whole thing is flat, making it (relatively) easy to store inside when not in use. (The Asda one is a log periodic).

The price is somewhat obscene - you can get the same from www.cpc.co.uk for about £14 plus VAT plus carriage.

CPC also has a "tv mast finder" (my words) for around a tenner plus VAT etc, which is supposed to work with digital. It's not fantastic as you can't "peak" it, but will give you the general direction. Then you can peak the direction by using the signal strength meter built into ant Freeview tuner.

All a bit fiddly - that's why I use satellite (where possible) - it's always in the same place....

I think for that price it doesn't include an amplifier.

Yes satellites are always in the same place but the aerial often isn't, usually behind a tree or building etc, when ccing terrestrial is usually more usable/accessible.

Edited by nb Innisfree

I just thought I'd add that if you are in a part of the country where the signal strength is good, you can use an omnidirectional aerial instead of a log periodic, and then you don't need to know where to point it.

Needs to be very very very good though - our Omni-directional Gazelle ariel makes a great piece of roof decoration from which we have never managed to extract a decent TV signal....

we and the previous owners consequently rely(ied) on a directional ariel.

In 20 years of caravanning we found the same with omni-directional ariels........

It depends on the area, and on whether everything is properly set up on board as well as on the TV itself, but I'd say on average across the whole network (and we do cover most of the network on our travels) we get a full set of digital stations on our Omnimax about 50% of the time. That should improve when the "digital switchover" is complete.

For about half of the remaining 50% a small log-periodic brings in the signal, leaving us with 25% for which we need the satellite dish.

It depends on the area, and on whether everything is properly set up on board as well as on the TV itself, but I'd say on average across the whole network (and we do cover most of the network on our travels) we get a full set of digital stations on our Omnimax about 50% of the time. That should improve when the "digital switchover" is complete.

For about half of the remaining 50% a small log-periodic brings in the signal, leaving us with 25% for which we need the satellite dish.

Clearly a different experience from us then..

"....using an omnidirectional or “Omni” aerial. The problem with this strategy is that (apart from in strong signal areas), how can I put this, Omni`s are crap. "

Above from A.T.V. (Aerials and Television)

For sure we have found that to be so, ripped off we were when we bought one for our boat.

We do have Satellite TV, but sometimes that is not possible if we want to moor in an area where the dot in the sky can't be seen by the dish, so we have a great TV aerial which picks up analogue as well as freeview.

This site is very useful.. link

"The Vision V10-040 is slightly longer and has 40 elements. Unless you know you are in a strong signal area, this is the one to use. Very popular with narrowboat and motorhome owners!"

We chose the Vision V10-040, perfect, no fandangled ends just a flat straight aerial which we clamp to a pole which shares the sat dish pole.. it is brilliant!

Edited by Sue

This topic has frequently discussed before here, here, and here being a few examples. Most of the time we will receive signals from one of the Full service Freeview transmitters which are high power and horizontally polarised however there will be occasions when a low power infill transmitter will be the only one available. These only transmit the main channels including High Definition and are virtually always vertically polarised. Some Full service Freeview transmitters operate at lower power for the commercial multiplexes thus their signal may be too weak whilst the public service multiplexes will be OK.

I look at aerials on nearby houses to determine direction and polarisation. Looking at aerials whilst boating and judging the above relative to North is a useful plan for mooring away from houses etc. When moored close to a transmitter, the signal may overload the TV tuner. In this case set the aerial with the incorrect polarity - this will give more than 20 dB attenuation.