caraboat

stubbs

Featured Posts

Anyone had any dealings with on of these :lol: its across between a boat and a caravan just hook up behind a car and tow to where you want to be next.

The one ive seen has not been used for about 15 years and looks as though it took on alot of water before being stored in a barn.

i thought these were just all in one , i.e not towable but drivable on the road and straight into water.

sure there is one along the bridgewater.

Nope.

Caraboat was definitely towable, rather than self-powered on land.

It's a kind of caravan that you can slip into the water and it floats.

A bit like a Wilderness Trail Boat, but you don't launch it off a recoverable trailer - the wheels go in with it.

Are you sure you are not thinking of a DUCW

158781608_b5031ef9d0.jpg

Anyone had any dealings with on of these :lol: its across between a boat and a caravan just hook up behind a car and tow to where you want to be next.

The one ive seen has not been used for about 15 years and looks as though it took on alot of water before being stored in a barn.

Buy it as they will be very rare. Not many were made. They are fully towable and self powered on water, with an outboard.

There will be no more of them as all of the jigs were smashed by the owner/designer.

Buy it as they will be very rare. Not many were made. They are fully towable and self powered on water, with an outboard.

There will be no more of them as all of the jigs were smashed by the owner/designer.

I think there are only about 20 left, there is one at Carnforth and there used to be another on The Lancaster Canal which was used regularly, but I last saw it when they closed Lytham Marine in a very sorry state all the windows smashed and the inside ripped out.

Not my cup of tea but a shame to see such a rare boat in that condition.

Cracking idea, though, they tried to revive the idea in the 1990s with the Caracruiser but only built two, one of which ended up on the Lancaster again, I think they were built in Blackpool but no-one bought any.

Saw one acouple of weeks ago moored at calverly on the shroppie ten again on the move at nantwich Idont think I would like to try steering one on windy day as it was weaving about on a calm day It was called Towed with a picture of a toad

which I found amusing

they tried to revive the idea in the 1990s with the Caracruiser but only built two, one of which ended up on the Lancaster again, I think they were built in Blackpool but no-one bought any.

Actually they built more than 2 caracruisers, and it wasn't in the 90's, and they were built on the Norfolk Broads.

My mate has owned 2 of 'em

Is the Caracruiser approach, where as I understand it, the wheels don't stay on, really any different from the Wilderness Trail Boats ?

They still seem to be around in large numbers, and have a very devoted following.

And the Caraboat is the one where the wheels stay put, yes ?

It's hard to see the advantage of that over something that launches from a trailer, given you are going to need to leave a car behind anyway.

Or have I missed something fundamental ?

Actually they built more than 2 caracruisers, and it wasn't in the 90's, and they were built on the Norfolk Broads.

My mate has owned 2 of 'em

I sit corrected, just shows you can't believe anyone who's trying to sell one!!

• 4 weeks later...
Or if you prefer to build your own....

Don't laugh yet!I have a friend who has just purchased a workflat and is about to put a small static caravan on it.......

I don't THINK he is planning to go far in it........ :lol:

I will post pics when he sends them :lol:

I actually tried steering a demo model of the caraboat years ago. In a gentle breeze it went sideways almost as fast as it went forwards. Out of the breeze it had all the directional stability of a floating balloon.

Fun though!

Hi Stubbs.

I've never owned a Caraboat but have seen a few and they have a loyal following and their own web site.

I own a CaraCruiser-similar but has a seperate trailer. Will try to post pictures.

caracruiseer003-1.jpg

booklet3.jpg

GaileyStaffsandWorcester.jpg

Edited by old-tom