Top Loading Washing Machines

Featured Posts

Anyone use one of these skinny little top loading washing machines? :lol: They look like they'd be quite a good use of space on a boat - what d'yall reckon?

clickywickywoo

This one, for example:

HNT5146.jpg_lARGE.jpg

Has a AAA energy rating and is only 40cm wide. :lol:

I'd be interested to know what you guys think, whether any of these might be an improvement on the Candy Aquamatic or the comapct Zanussi front loaders that many boaters have?

P.S. I originally posted this in the Twin Tubs thread, but as it's not about twin tubs I've given it it's freedom!

Anyone use one of these skinny little top loading washing machines? :lol: They look like they'd be quite a good use of space on a boat - what d'yall reckon?

clickywickywoo

This one, for example:

HNT5146.jpg_lARGE.jpg

Has a AAA energy rating and is only 40cm wide. :lol:

I'd be interested to know what you guys think, whether any of these might be an improvement on the Candy Aquamatic or the comapct Zanussi front loaders that many boaters have?

P.S. I originally posted this in the Twin Tubs thread, but as it's not about twin tubs I've given it it's freedom!

Looks quite good, like the height and slimness.

It's quoted power consumption is "1.14 Kwh Energy Consumption"

It would be good to know exactly what that means, and how it compares to an A rated automatic. We have a fridge rated at 1.17 Kwh per year, so is it more efficient than our fridge????????

Good point - I get confused with kWh and how that relates to Amps and Voltage. I know Power equals Volts times Amps but where do kWh's come into that? One for the brainboxes please...

http://www.ukpower.co.uk/running-costs-elec.asp

The above might help explain that...

For your appliance you've given, enter the running watts as 1140 and see how it works out.

HTH, PC

http://www.ukpower.co.uk/running-costs-elec.asp

The above might help explain that...

For your appliance you've given, enter the running watts as 1140 and see how it works out.

HTH, PC

Thanks, but I'm afraid I still don't entirely understand that. What is kilowatt hours? It's watts divided by a thousand and times... how many hours? It's not per hour is it? Or is it per 24 hours or per month or per year...? :lol:

Thanks, but I'm afraid I still don't entirely understand that. What is kilowatt hours? It's watts divided by a thousand and times... how many hours? It's not per hour is it? Or is it per 24 hours or per month or per year...? :lol:

No worries...

The machine you've suggested says it consumes 1.14kWh.

That's 1.14kw [1000 x watts, so 1140 watts] in a one hour period, over that hour.

So over two hours, the total consumed would be 2x1.14 so 2.28kW or 2280 watts.

The little calculator thingy, just does the above calculation and allows you to specify how many hours a month you'll be using it for, then works out the cost based on the unit price of the 'leccy.

Electricity tends to be metered and charged in units of 1kWh [1000 watts for one hour].

So, for example, if you had a typical big kettle, rated at 3kw [3000watts] and boiled it constantly for one hour, you'd use 3kWh of electricity - or potentially around 30pence if your supply is charged at 10p/unit.

Does that help?

PC

Bear in mind, also, that as others have said, washing machines tend to heat their water using electricity unless you tell them not to...

So most of that 1.14kWh may well go towards heating water.

If you can get it to not do that, and instead take heated water from the calorifier, then you'll possibly reduce the total consumption to just that required to run the motor to turn the drum, which might be much less...

There's another thread around on this topic, mentioning thermostatic mixers to achieve that.

PC

Edited again, to add that Scottish Power's standard rate for the midlands is currently 12p/day service charge plus 8.9p/kWh. For interest's sake and for a potentially horrifying comparison with a marina...

PC

How much water would one of these use for a cycle?

And is there any one (else) here would be happy using canal water for clothes rinsing?

and the power used is kind of irrelevant as long as you have enough to use it, it being common sense to only run it whilst a primary generation source is running.

Edited by Chris Pink

and the power used is kind of irrelevant as long as you have enough to use it, it being common sense to only run it whilst a primary generation source is running.

Good question on the water, and a going point on the power.

Mind you, in the situation where you've only got shoreline - no inverter, no generator - the total cost might be worth considering for a live-aboard with the marina electricity costs?

PC

And is there any one (else) here would be happy using canal water for clothes rinsing?

For rinsing...? No thanks, it'd be dirtier than before you started! Oil, diesel, pumpout, fish poo, rat wee, moorhen spunk, signet vomit, watervole bogies...

:lol::lol:

Edited by BlueStringPudding

These type machines are far more suitable than Auto machines IMO For light washes as you're not committed to a full cycle. I would imagine this unit heats the water. What I have noticed though with this model is the wash time 122 minutes which is a long time IMO and using around 3,5 KW

Dimensions (cm): H85.0 x W40.0 x D54.0

Manufacturer Warranty: 1 Year

Spin Speed: 1400 RPM

Wash Load: 6 Kg

Energy Rating: A Rated

Wash Performance: A Rated

Spin Performance: A Rated

Energy Consumption: 1.14 kW

Light load: Yes

40 degree wash time: 122 minutes

60 degree wash time: 182 minutes

Quick wash: Yes

Quick wash time: 29

Hand wash: Yes

Wool wash: Yes

Delicate wash: Yes

Pre-wash: Yes

Variable wash temperature: Yes

Auto half load: Yes

Time remaining indicator: Yes

Temperature sensed fill: Yes

Reduced creasing option: Yes

Time saver feature: Yes

Super rinse/extra rinse: Yes

Noise leve: 58 dB

We'll stick with this :lol:

http://www.reviewstop.co.uk/Hinari-WM005-L...view_3072.html#

I can't remember the power consumption it's on the boat, but it's just a motor and timer, I think somewhere around 300 watts.

For rinsing...? No thanks, it'd be dirtier than before you started! Oil, diesel, pumpout, fish poo, rat wee, moorhen spunk, signet vomit, watervole bogies...

moorhen spunk is very well known as an aphrodisiac.

I am a bit worried by this in the specification; •Intelligent Wash System

i have enough arguments with machines as it is without an uppity wahsing machine.

I reckon the rinsing thing is a gender issue. When i had an easy wash the rinsing was in the canal and as far as i can tell i don't glow in the dark. Mind you, I'm not on the BCN.

Sorry but your all well out on your consumptions

Washing machines are rated per (average) cycle not per hour.

So in one cycle it will use 1.14kwh. It does not use 1.14kw per hour. kwh mean using x number of kw for a period of one hour BUT double the watts & halve the time is still the same kwh's

1000w x 10 hours = 10 kwh's

500w x 20 hours = 10 kwh's

2000 w x 5 hours = 10 kwh's

Justme

So in one cycle it will use 1.14kwh. It does not use 1.14kw per hour. kwh mean using x number of kw for a period of one hour BUT double the watts & halve the time is still the same kwh's

Justme

ChrisW will be back soon - you mark my words ....... :lol:

Right, I agree with the calculations if you're just talking about total consumed [converted] energy... It's clear to see that one side of the equation has to balance the other.

Where does the idea of washing machines being rated per cycle come from? Not having a go, just interested as I've not come across that before. That sounds like it will just complicate something that's been designed to be easy to compare?

The concept of producing figures in kWh for appliances both serves to provide an average consumption based on one hour's running, as well as being nicely compatible with the charging scheme in this country. One hour being a comparable unit between machines [and matching the SI for (k)Wh at least - or possibly VAseconds if we're truly SI? :lol: ] but kW/cycle being dependent on cycle length?

So fridges being rated at x kWh @ <temp> @ <fill_load> almost makes sense, as there's a deterministic amount of run-time for a given ambient temperature and quantity [and temperature] of 'stuff' in it. You can then extrapolate how much the thing will [ish] cost you to run over a time period.

If you were to view the washing machine over kWminutes [not exactly an SI unit, I realise... :lol: ], you'd possibly view that the consumption would be high in early heating stages, high on the startup current of the motor, then stable for a bit, etc. etc. etc. over each minute period. A useful measure would then be the one-hour rate, as the minute-rate is meaningless for working out useful consumption [in this example]; the per-cycle rate would be even less use, as we'd need to know the cycle length to compare between machines?

I'm confused...

PC

Edited after remembering how SI units worked... :lol:

Edited by paulcatchpole

Then to get a great rating all makers have to do is have a very long cycle spreading the consumption out.

http://www.nef.org.uk/energysaving/labels.htm

In the same report, ECI estimated that for the stock of washing machines in the UK then, the average energy consumption per cycle for new washing machines was 1.24kWh.

http://www.twenga.co.uk/specs-WMFAB16RO-SM...-machine-194442

show it as per cycle in the specs

http://www.cus.net/electricity/subcats/elecappliances.html

There are also individual ratings based on e.g. laundry appliances - energy consumption kWh per cycle,

I could go on

That way all you need is the total energy used to do one was cycle. Does not matter how long cycle is as you have the kwh's from the spec.

Justme

Edited by Justme

Right, I agree with the calculations if you're just talking about total consumed [converted] energy... It's clear to see that one side of the equation has to balance the other.

Where does the idea of washing machines being rated per cycle come from? Not having a go, just interested as I've not come across that before. That sounds like it will just complicate something that's been designed to be easy to compare?

The concept of producing figures in kWh for appliances both serves to provide an average consumption based on one hour's running, as well as being nicely compatible with the charging scheme in this country. One hour being a comparable unit between machines [and matching the SI for (k)Wh at least - or possibly VAseconds if we're truly SI? :lol: ] but kW/cycle being dependent on cycle length?

So fridges being rated at x kWh @ <temp> @ <fill_load> almost makes sense, as there's a deterministic amount of run-time for a given ambient temperature and quantity [and temperature] of 'stuff' in it. You can then extrapolate how much the thing will [ish] cost you to run over a time period.

If you were to view the washing machine over kWminutes [not exactly an SI unit, I realise... :lol: ], you'd possibly view that the consumption would be high in early heating stages, high on the startup current of the motor, then stable for a bit, etc. etc. etc. over each minute period. A useful measure would then be the one-hour rate, as the minute-rate is meaningless for working out useful consumption [in this example]; the per-cycle rate would be even less use, as we'd need to know the cycle length to compare between machines?

I'm confused...

PC

Edited after remembering how SI units worked... :lol:

I like this level of debate about electrickery - well nicer (as the students as school would say).

I also like top loader machines but as I'm having a tug deck now and limited headroom, I'm going for a little Bosch on Cobbett (at least that's what the electrikian said).

Wriggly

PS Is it too early to mention the name of the device one shouldn't really mention? :lol:

Sometimes I feel a bit like the guy here......

if trying to be brave enough to raise an electrical question on the forum. :lol:

:lol:

I can't believe I've never seen that before - my word, that had me in stitches...

I know what you mean though... :lol:

PC

Edited to add:

In a similar vein, the Land Rover anti-faq is worth a smile if you've not read it before...

http://www.lrfaq.org/FAQ.6.taylorFAQ.html

Particularly...

"How many Land Rover Owners does it take to change a light bulb?

At least nine. The relative merits of genuine parts versus aftermarket products must be discussed, with of course, the consideration of the value of equivalent, common, american replacements, which leads to a lively symposium about the validity of non-original Land Rovers, degenerating into a heated argument about which particular Land Rover model is the best, incorporating, naturally, a joke about a Corgi or Dinky model being the best, starting a comparison of various miniature Land Rover collections, culminating with a trading frenzy, whilst the remaining participants rehash the benefits of cooking on a galvanized grill versus the resulting toxicity. Eventually the bulb *is* replaced, at which point, seeing as how it's Lucas Electrics, it promptly burns out again. [RS] "

PC

Edited by paulcatchpole