Tongue and groove in the shower?

Kristian

Featured Posts

Im looking at redoing my shower area as im feed up with mould and medew in the shower and grout never looking clean etc.

A few months ago in "Canel boat"? There was a chap who fitted out his own boat and put vertical hardwood T&G in the shower cubical.

Has anybody had dealings with this idea and how did he make it 100% waterproof?

I like the idea as it would match the rest of the boat, but im very sceptical about the drawbacks!

The wood will always be wet and cracking may be an issue.

Any thoughts anybody!

Kristian.

Im looking at redoing my shower area as im feed up with mould and medew in the shower and grout never looking clean etc.

A few months ago in "Canel boat"? There was a chap who fitted out his own boat and put vertical hardwood T&G in the shower cubical.

I like the idea as it would match the rest of the boat, but im very sceptical about the drawbacks!

Any thoughts anybody!

Kristian.

If you really want a finish that matches the rest of the boat, but is water resistant, my first thoughts would be to put thin perspex or similar over the cladding within the shower area. Just a thought. You could clear silicon it top and bottom to seal it.

You would have to make it all 100% water tight which would be tricky, if it did go wrong it would be a nightmare having to put it right. It's a bit of a risk factor to be considered. I used some plastic T&G in the bathroom which can be sealed for showers, it's posted in another thread somewhere, if you're interested i'll give you some info on it.

Any thoughts anybody!

Kristian.

My ex girlfriends boat has T & G boarding in the shower, its been there 17 years with no problems.

Tim

Any thoughts anybody!

Kristian.

We used Shiplap on Achilles, but horizontal, lots of varnish and clear silicone seal in all corners. wipe down after use.

It been there for 8 years, no mould, no cracking.

The only thing we found, if you don't wipe it the silicone goes white until dry.

Andrew

Any thoughts anybody!

Kristian.

Mould and mildew come from damp conditions, after refitting of shower ensure that the ventilation is adequate, open windows and perhaps a small fan (computer) in the mushroom, if you have one.

As has already been mentioned, wipe down the shower after use, I expect you already do.

I'm with Blackrose on this one. Polyester resin is cheap enough and a couple of layers of resin followed by a couple of varnish will give a great looking waterproof finish. I've used it on my tupperware cruiser and if water gets on a flat surface it sits there till it evaporates.

We have tongue and groove above our gunnels thoughout the boat, including the shower area (shower over bath).

This is the best photo i have with me:

panoud5.jpg

I dont knw if anything has been done specially for the shower area further than a few more coats of varnish than in other parts of the boat. There is a vapour barrier behind all the T&G and of cause T&G will naterally shed most of the water.

- I like the look, and the fact there is theme running right the way though the boat. However how well it would cope with daily use i dont know. Ours rairly gets used more than 10times a year. Mainly in summer.

I would say however you could do a hell of a lot worse than a good coat of polyurethene varnish. Although epoxy (or polyester) might also be an option.

Daniel