Here, fridgey fridgey fridgey

Featured Posts

Gibbo is right 12v compressor fridges are best.

I have 12v compressor 'coolbox device' labelled Landrover, but made by somebody called danfoss. This unit runs happily all day off the car battery without killing it. But it did bust a bottle of wine, when it froze. According to kitchen thermometer I tossed in it was at -17c.

Will certainly consider one for the boat, but sheesh the price is a killer.. I got the portable one for free.

WOnder if you could retro fit a 12v compressor to a domestic unit>>>>> OK I@LL get me coat now

The Electrolux RM6400 has been replaced by the Dometic RM7400..

Link

As can be seen the input on 12v is 130watts (10.8 amps) not thermostatically controlled that will be continuous.

Remember that when running on 12v, the heating element replaces the gas flame.

Hi

I've been looking at the 12v Shoreline RR47W which pulls about 0.8amps.

Has anyone else used this product before?

It doesn't seem too heavy on power use just heavy on the pocket.

Thanks

That's the trade off. I believe Danfoss compressors are the best and most efficient you can get. Whereas the 3-way jobbies work on a completely different principle, using heat - and that's what the 12v is providing when the gas is off, so no wonder it uses a lot.

Ours is a 12v Lec, similar I think to the Shoreline, think they're about £400 new, but other than gas there's no real alternative.

Not only is it energy efficient, but it gets really cold on a low setting (2 on a scale of 6).

That's the trade off. I believe Danfoss compressors are the best and most efficient you can get. Whereas the 3-way jobbies work on a completely different principle, using heat - and that's what the 12v is providing when the gas is off, so no wonder it uses a lot.

Ours is a 12v Lec, similar I think to the Shoreline, think they're about £400 new, but other than gas there's no real alternative.

Not only is it energy efficient, but it gets really cold on a low setting (2 on a scale of 6).

Hi

I've not come accross the LEC yet but it's about the same kind of money.

Have you had any probs with yours and what model is it?

There's an ancient 12v battery killer on board at the moment which I want rid of asap. It's going to join the cooker that takes a week to do the toast! :lol:

Hi

I've not come accross the LEC yet but it's about the same kind of money.

Have you had any probs with yours and what model is it?

There's an ancient 12v battery killer on board at the moment which I want rid of asap. It's going to join the cooker that takes a week to do the toast! :lol:

mine is a lec too...

Gibbo is right 12v compressor fridges are best.

I have 12v compressor 'coolbox device' labelled Landrover, but made by somebody called danfoss. This unit runs happily all day off the car battery without killing it. But it did bust a bottle of wine, when it froze. According to kitchen thermometer I tossed in it was at -17c.

Will certainly consider one for the boat, but sheesh the price is a killer.. I got the portable one for free.

WOnder if you could retro fit a 12v compressor to a domestic unit>>>>> OK I@LL get me coat now

That is basically what the Shoreline etc are. Small domestic (Lec in the case of Shoreline) fridges or even larger ones fitted with the Danfoss 12v dc compressor. I think even Waeco (spelling?) who use to have a different motor now use Danfoss, so they are all the same compressor unit installed by different "smaller volume" setups.

Well I consider my bargain thoroughly pooped on from a great height, guys! :lol:;):lol:

It's a 3 way fridge meaning it works on gas too. I'm not mad on using gas but if needs must... However our gas is set up just for the cooker, meaning extra pipes would need to be added to the system. And how would it be vented? I assume it'd mean cutting a hole in the side of the boat to vent it outside? :lol: I feel a pricey quote coming on. :lol:

Hi BlueSP

There have been no changes of mind on allowing non-room sealed fridges since the proposed but not enacted ban was withdrawn in 2003. They are not banned by the BSS/Navigation Authorities.

However, if you were to try to contract a person to undertake the installation suggested above, you might find many refusals. If your boat is primarily used as a residence, it is in scope of the regulations under the Gas Act. This means anyone contracted to work on the gas system in 'boats in scope' has to be CORGI (at present, but changing brand next April) registered.

We understand that many Corgi registered fitters feel that their code does not allow them to fit non-room sealed appliances in such boats.

The BSS does not recommend the fitting of non-room sealed appliances in boats. Since 1992, I have records of five incidents of CO poisoning. So far this year we have have recorded one gas explosion recorded linked with lighting the fridge pilot light and we had one last year also from lighting the pilot light.

Some of these fridges are 40 years old, and early Electrolux fridges may well be getting to the end of their safe operational lifespan. On balance you may want to give consideration to the warriorwoman and greybeard routes to food(beer etc) storage. Or if the use is appropriate, the 12v food cooler chests to keep pre-refrigerated food cool.

HTH

Rob@BSSOffice

BTW Waeco now belongs to Dometic

Absoposilutelysplendiferous!

The same questions to you as well then?

Any probs and what model hast thou?

Ta! :lol:

have we met?

I was looking at the manual when I was looking for my much sought after passport, and then put it down somewhere and I have failed to find it, but when I return from my holidays, I will have another look. It is a couple of years old, has a 2* freezer, and a danfoss compressor. My only complaint is it is possibly too big considering I mainly use it for ice cubes and champers.

have we met?

??????????????????????

I was looking at the manual when I was looking for my much sought after passport, and then put it down somewhere and I have failed to find it, but when I return from my holidays, I will have another look. It is a couple of years old, has a 2* freezer, and a danfoss compressor. My only complaint is it is possibly too big considering I mainly use it for ice cubes and champers.

Buy more champers! Problem solved.

Any info gratefully received.

Some of these fridges are 40 years old, and early Electrolux fridges may well be getting to the end of their safe operational lifespan.

On the other hand you can buy brand new ones, still, (branded as Dometic).

Presumably their safe operational lifespan is considerable ?

I think you have to balance the risks associated with a gas fridge against the alternatives.

Some of the clowns with generators running balanced inside their back hatches are probably doing so because the fridge is the biggest drain on their electrics.

So perhaps even an electric fridge can cause asphyxiation, if the power isn't generated sensibly ?

splendiferous is a word I use, so your usage makes me wonder whether you know someone I know.... Plus you live in derbyshire PLUS you used splendiferous as well as thou... which also makes me wonder whether we have met...

clearly not. Oh well... nothing like doing sums and getting them wrong! it is my forte!

On the other hand you can buy brand new ones, still, (branded as Dometic).

Presumably their safe operational lifespan is considerable ?

I think you have to balance the risks associated with a gas fridge against the alternatives.

Some of the clowns with generators running balanced inside their back hatches are probably doing so because the fridge is the biggest drain on their electrics.

So perhaps even an electric fridge can cause asphyxiation, if the power isn't generated sensibly ?

My extensive research shows that generators are mainly used for TV. Probably often doesn't equal possibly, apart from in history where it is quite likely.

splendiferous is a word I use, so your usage makes me wonder whether you know someone I know.... Plus you live in derbyshire PLUS you used splendiferous as well as thou... which also makes me wonder whether we have met...

clearly not. Oh well... nothing like doing sums and getting them wrong! it is my forte!

Aha! Thought I was in trouble.

Been in Derbyshire for 10 years. Rest of UK for the previous umpteen - mostly East Anglia and 'darn sarf'

Splendiferous is a fantasmagorical sort of word that only a select few can use in the right place and even fewer can spell 'proply' so thou hast done well.

I'm upon the water on the occasional weekend being moored at Sawley Marina and fairly new to narrowboating.

If we had met I'm sure I would have remembered. :lol:

Guest melodyman

I have decided not to use my 3 way fridge on the boat so will be selling it.

I bought it from a friend who is a caravan fitter.

He maintains that the new fridges come in with faults much more than the older fridges and insisted I saved my money.

The only thing I would put in the fridge is milk anyway.

I am going to store camping ice slabs for a coolbox in my Grans freezer and have two sets and just swap them round every couple if days if and when I can be fussed.

I go to the pub for real ale anyway and like botled beer non refrigerated.

When I want meat I will just go to the shop buy it and cook it.

All this fridge business is giving me a headache.

I will take some pictures of the fridge this weekend and can email anyone with the pictures if required.

PM me if interested.

Edited by melodyman

Aha! Thought I was in trouble.

Been in Derbyshire for 10 years. Rest of UK for the previous umpteen - mostly East Anglia and 'darn sarf'

Splendiferous is a fantasmagorical sort of word that only a select few can use in the right place and even fewer can spell 'proply' so thou hast done well.

If we had met I'm sure I would have remembered. :lol:

hmm.. East Anglia.. hmmm....

OOOarrrrr!

Oi can't read & Oi can't write but Oi can droive a trakker! :lol:

Wass a marra wiv East Anglia?

I was only dragged up there - hatched a lot further sarf.

nowt wrong with it and you can have the key to my combine harvester if you are good chap.

Splendiferous AND east anglia.... hmmmm..... Are you sure we haven't met...

nowt wrong with it and you can have the key to my combine harvester if you are good chap.

Splendiferous AND east anglia.... hmmmm..... Are you sure we haven't met...

Bury St Edmunds, Cambridge & ocasionally Norwich with odd visits to the rest of EA depending on what was occuring!

Well, I suppose the natural evolution of this discussion (other than via East Anglia :lol::lol: ) is to ask which 12v fridges DO people recommend. Please advise based on experience of owning the said fridgey and if you can, give an indication of how much energy it consumes.

Thanks.

Well, I suppose the natural evolution of this discussion (other than via East Anglia :lol::lol: ) is to ask which 12v fridges DO people recommend. Please advise based on experience of owning the said fridgey and if you can, give an indication of how much energy it consumes.

Thanks.

OOOPS!

Borrowed but not hijacked. :lol:

Fridge

Shoreline RL110W uses 0.80a by all accounts. http://www.boatfridge.com/index.asp?displa...ategory=Fridges

Warriorwoman and Bones both have a LEC model which I can't find anything about.

I currently have an Islander low voltage thing that's absolutely rubbish (if I'm allowed to say that)

Not much else on market that I can find anyway.

We've been using Shoreline's 12v RR152 model for about 8 months now and its seems pretty good. Its a fridge with a small freezer compartment. We did have it switched off for some periods over the winter buts its been on now constantly for a few months. We have it set between 1 and 2 and its definatley cold enough. Seems to average out at just under 2 amps continuous (it cycles on and off) or about 45ah per 24 hours.

Les