I've just been 'curtain twitched'

Lesd

Featured Posts

It was the lock cottage at Northchurch which was being very actively used as a brothel a year or two back.

(And there was me not going in the lock, because I thought the red lights meant "no entry"....)

I'd have thought most boaters were raising the tone of the area. :lol:

It was the lock cottage at Northchurch which was being very actively used as a brothel a year or two back.

Explains all the cruisers.

I believe it comes under "servicing".

Just don't ask to have your stern tube checked out.

Or greased.

As I'm new to all this what symbol is used for this in the Nicholson guides?

a sperm swimming into a lock!

But this busy body caused a warden to have to go where he wasn't needed thus wasting the resources of the system, not enhancing it.

I hope the warden paid the busy-body a visit to warn of the dangers of making false call outs. If this had been a police or fire brigade call they would have been prosecuted.

I think if I'd been you I'd have insisted the warden made the visit.

HOW DARE THEY!!!

(apologies for shouting!!)

Perhaps you should wait until the wind is blowing in the house's direction and they have their washing out. You can then pile up the fire with damp logs and plastic bags, turn up the hi fi and aggrevate your dog so he/she barks incescently.

You could, of course, report them for driving their car with no tax/insurance/drunk; oh no, you'd get in trouble for that!!

I think I'll buy a house next to a pub then complain about the noise.

I see. They are so 'wary' that for them time becomes warped whenever they see a boat? 14 days is 14 days - the calendar does not lie. I went past Les & Heidi's boat the other day. There are no motorbikes, no junk on the towpath and no noisy generators.

Also, I was ripped off a few times when I was in India. Would it now be 'understandable' for me to distrust ALL Indians? I think that is called prejudice.

they claim 14 days the boater claims 12 days, its a case of one person's word against another's. You could avoid being ripped off by people I don't think its unavoidable however if a boat moors outside your house and runs the engine until midnight that is something which is only avoidable by making boats less welcome.

the irony is that a boat like Lesd's ie a nice tidy respectable boat is just the kind of boat they should WANT outside their houses because when it does move away the space is left available for the boats that do and have caused the trouble in the past. I wasn't defending the actions of the householders, particularly, i was just saying I think it is understandable. there's no way of knowing who will or won't run the engine til midnight, but once it happens its too late so one understandable tactic would be to try to discourage boats in general. I think running engines late into the evening is exceptionally rude but it seems to be becoming more common.

I once got a letter for overstaying on the loading bay at Sutton Stop with Greyhound.

They said I had been there 3 weeks.

They were astounded when I showed them that I had taken 18 tons of ordered coal with deliveries up the Thames and K & A as far as Newbury and back inside the 3 weeks.

I never got bothered again !

an interesting debate here. I agree with many of the points and can see both sideas but if you are going to accuse someone of doing some then at least have the facts straight (12 days vs 14 days). I sympathise if they've had agrro from boaters before, this happened near Apsley lock last winter too when people where running gennies and grinders all day outside the new development when there was loads of space on the quiet mooring downstream where nobody would hear them and complain. Sometimes people dont help themselves but I still think this curtain twitching tw#t should get a life lol

Mike, even the boat that was in front of us was quite all week and left not a scrap of mess when they left and the complainer did refer to our boat name specifically, bloody cheek

:lol: :lol:

an interesting debate here. I agree with many of the points and can see both sideas but if you are going to accuse someone of doing some then at least have the facts straight (12 days vs 14 days). I sympathise if they've had agrro from boaters before, this happened near Apsley lock last winter too when people where running gennies and grinders all day outside the new development when there was loads of space on the quiet mooring downstream where nobody would hear them and complain. Sometimes people dont help themselves but I still think this curtain twitching tw#t should get a life lol

Mike, even the boat that was in front of us was quite all week and left not a scrap of mess when they left and the complainer did refer to our boat name specifically, bloody cheek

:lol: :lol:

You weren't logged onto their WiFi network were you ? :lol:

Or... do they have 'issues around the compatibility of wide beam vessels with the Grand Union Canal infrastructure' ? :lol:

You weren't logged onto their WiFi network were you ? :lol:

Or... do they have 'issues around the compatibility of wide beam vessels with the Grand Union Canal infrastructure' ? :lol:

Not guilty to the first point......and I thought the GU was a widebeam canal ? :lol: :lol:

I havent had a problem navigating yet, we even squeezed past the very wide permant moored boat at Bulbourne when there was a pair moored opposite her, it was tight but no problem at 10'6''

......we even squeezed past the very wide permant moored boat at Bulbourne when there was a pair moored opposite her, it was tight but no problem at 10'6''

Yes, I'm kind of amazed that widebeam is allowed to permanently moor there. I'm not sure how wide he is, but it's about the biggest I've seen, (for a new build rather than conversion), and probably well over 12, and possibly even the full 14 feet wide.

I'm amazed he's let anybody moor opposite though!

Nearly every time we have tried it, (probably three times altogether), the owner sticks his head out, and asks us to move, claiming he is "expecting a delivery of a large item", and needs to be able to swing his bows across the cut to accept it, when it arrives.

If he really has as many deliveries of large items, we would expect to see him going lower and lower in the water, and possibly even sunk by now.

Mooring a breasted pair opposite him can't leave much channel, though, particularly if it's a wide beam you are trying to get through.

A while ago we moored outside Hampton Court to quietly slap a bit of paint on the roof out in the sunshine.

Within minutes a worried looking gardener on a mower turned up and politely enquired if we were leaving today. We informed him we had only arrived that morning, but not to worry, we would be pushing off as soon as the roof was dry. Relieved, he trundled off.

Perhaps someone at the palace curtain twitched us.

We've also stopped to do DIY outside Windsor castle before (What?! It's nice to have a view when you're working hard!) and a plain clothes policeman regarded us from the opposite bank for a full half hour.

But it's nice to know that instructions to move you on have come right from the top. :lol:

A while ago we moored outside Hampton Court to quietly slap a bit of paint on the roof out in the sunshine.

Within minutes a worried looking gardener on a mower turned up and politely enquired if we were leaving today. We informed him we had only arrived that morning, but not to worry, we would be pushing off as soon as the roof was dry. Relieved, he trundled off.

<Snip>

But it's nice to know that instructions to move you on have come right from the top. :lol:

Maybe he was concerned about mowing next to wet paint!

Tim

We've also stopped to do DIY outside Windsor castle before (What?! It's nice to have a view when you're working hard!) and a plain clothes policeman regarded us from the opposite bank for a full half hour.

You realise that if you get caught hanging about royal residences, more than once, you are automatically placed on the domestic terrorist list.

You realise that if you get caught hanging about royal residences, more than once, you are automatically placed on the domestic terrorist list.

Oh, I'm not so sure.....

From the smile on her face "Lizzie" seems to rather like playing trains

QE2_Playing_Trains.jpg

I suspect she would be only too pleased to accept a ride on a nice narrow boat as well.

(I suppose the Corgi's would still s**t on the bank, though :lol: )

Edit:

Added to say it gives a whole new meaning to the (usually) taxi driver's line of... "Guess who I had in my cab today...."

Edited by alan_fincher

I've never moored near a royal residence, do you get a discount on your licence or something?

I've moored near Lancaster Castle (or as near as you can get) does that count?

Or am I just missing out.

:lol: