BW K&A Consultation

KenK

Featured Posts

I received a communication from BW in the post today, a consultation document requesting my views on various proposals designed to remove boats without a licence from the K&A.

The proposals include opening times at both ends of the navigation, 9 am to 6 pm April to October, 10 am to 3 pm in the winter. Lock keepers at each end to enforce the above and check, issue licences, 6 monthly or yearly only, paid for by credit / debit card. Lock keeper in attendance at other locks randomly to check licences.

The consultation is open to anyone boat owner or not with a view to express. Response can be either by e mail, the prefered option, or by post.

Anyone know if this is happening anywhere else or is this a trial to gauge the efectivness of such an operation, it is easy on the K&A as it is a linear navigation only connected at each end.

Ken

The proposals include opening times at both ends of the navigation, 9 am to 6 pm April to October, 10 am to 3 pm in the winter. Lock keepers at each end to enforce the above and check, issue licences, 6 monthly or yearly only, paid for by credit / debit card. Lock keeper in attendance at other locks randomly to check licences.

Strangely enough, that is what used to happen. Lock flights had lock keepers, Blake's Lock and Hanham Lock were always manned.

Do we really need to re-invent the wheel? It would be nice if BW (bless their pointy little heads) thought this was a good idea in order to manage the navigation rather than as a in-effective knee jerk reaction to ill-informed complaint.

I had a boat go passed me yesterday saying 'there's another one without a licence', possible they complained, i have £950 worth of licences displayed on my boats.

The unlicenced boats on the Kennet and Avon, and i think you'll find there is a lot less than you might think, are generally boats that have been here for years, change hands and then the licences lapse. People who cruise usually have licences.

It would nice if the policy makers got out more, then they might know what is going on.

Edited by Chris Pink

The link to the consultation document is here.

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/images/K..._April_2008.pdf

All documents such as this can be found on the BW web site - "accountability" - under "consultations".

We should respond to the consultation document. That is what they are for and we cannot really complain about BW if we are not prepared to add our views when invited so to do.

In my view, restricting lock opening hours will only inconvenience genuine boaters and will do nothing to solve the problem that BW think they have with unlicensed craft.

In my experience unlicensed craft rarely move and have generally occupied the same location for a considerable time. The only effective way to measure the extent of 'the problem' is to have officers patrolling the whole canal preferably by boat.

That would be fun - BW staff in a boat on a canal . . .

I don't see the need for lock opening times.

BW are constantly telling us that they know where the unlicensed boats are. Why can't they act on that information?

More staff at lock-flights is definitely a good thing, not necessarily just for enforcement, either.

They could even introduce lengthsmen, who walk their stretch at least once a week, inspecting for defects, maintenance issues and infringements requiring action.

They could even introduce lengthsmen, who walk their stretch at least once a week, inspecting for defects, maintenance issues and infringements requiring action.

What a wonderful idea - I wonder why it hasn't been done before :lol:

I reckon the plan is to gauge the actual (legal) use of the k&a so as to find it is underused (and abused by some). Then it can be put up for sale or closed, again. Watch out, Tory government coming soon.

In my opinion we all need to respond to these consultations especially when they directly affect us. If we as boaters don't tell BW what we think then we can't complain when they do thing we don't like.

I would like to see the end of unlicensed boats, if you want to use the system you should pay your way. Whilst agreeing with the objective I'm not sure the methods would work, so I will add my two pennyworth.

Ken

Do you mean 'accept' or 'believe' ?

I mean believe. One in nine boats without a licence? no chance.

Someone has been massaging the figures for their own ends.

Or perhaps their data gathering is shoddy. who knows? As one who cycles the towpath frequently I know which boats are not licenced, as do BW, and manning the locks (cost? got to be at least £50K per year with admin) that's a lot of licence money to cover that.

As said earlier the boats without licences are also the ones that don't move very much.

Well I've found nothing in anyone's comments so far I don't agree with. Any manning would be futile unless it was 24 hours, but wouldn't they be better to picket water points?

Reading the document the locks would be locked closed except during manned opening hours. Blakes lock comes under the EA but I would have thought a joint operation would have made sense, EA license one way BW the other and split the cost. Hanham lock is already manned, or at least it was last year when we went through, although again there is a keeper employed by Bristol docks at the begining of the feeder canal so again why not use the facility, you have to pay to use the floating harbour so it would not be difficult for him to check the license, although if you are comming from the Sharpness canal it could be and probably would be checked there.

BW's intention makes sense, it's just the execution, so respond to the consultation, you never know they might listen.

Yes I know, but it's Friday, the weather is not bad, might even get the boat out, so I'm being positive.

:lol:

Ken

Might be good if they decided to man Fobney lock, keep the little gits from using it as a swimming pool in the summer months.

Anyway what will BW do in the winter? Shut the canal even if there are no stoppages?

Paul

Might be good if they decided to man Fobney lock, keep the little gits from using it as a swimming pool in the summer months.

aah, spoilsport, I quite admire the way they surf the inrush of water on opening the paddles. Were you never young and daring, Sir?

I always keep my doors locked and I have heard people have got into arguments/fights with da yout at Fobney but personally I have always found them polite and helpful.