It came in through the bathroom window..

Featured Posts

.. looks like an air-rifle shot or a catapult.

window1.jpg

I have absolutely no idea how to replace the glass.

It's a basic hopper type window with rubber seals.. and if somebody could help me by letting me know how I go about replacing the glass I would be very grateful.

First thing is: how do I get the glass out.

Then, of course, how do I get it back in again.

There are some screws on the inner frame that I have removed but that has achieved squat - I am assuming I have to remove part of the frame to get to the galss.

The exterior of the window is rivetted.

Cheers all.

.. looks like an air-rifle shot or a catapult.

window1.jpg

I have absolutely no idea how to replace the glass.

It's a basic hopper type window with rubber seals.. and if somebody could help me by letting me know how I go about replacing the glass I would be very grateful.

First thing is: how do I get the glass out.

Then, of course, how do I get it back in again.

There are some screws on the inner frame that I have removed but that has achieved squat - I am assuming I have to remove part of the frame to get to the galss.

The exterior of the window is rivetted.

Cheers all.

Hi There

First I think you have to get a replacement - it has to be safety glass.

I imagine you will remove the glass by pulling out the rubber seal.

Hope this helps

Alex

You have to drill out the rivets and remove the whole window. There are screws and angle brackets at the corners of the frame, you need to remove the top, lift out the hopper window, unscrew the next frame down and the new window slides in from above.

Amazing what you learn on newsnight. I had an enigma machine you know.

Yeah, the glass is usally captive within the aluminum extrution.

- And as said, you have to remove the frame, which will proberbly expose some screws, the top comes bar off, and the whole lot slides out of the channel.

This happened to us once, we took the whole frame out and took it to the local glazier who ordered new glass fitted it to frame which we then reassembled on boat, toughened glass has to be cut and then treated so it takes a few days so we put a piece of ply over the hole in the meantime

Visited caravan shop for strip of window sealant when replacing, less messy than mastic and doesnt set hard

Visited caravan shop for strip of window sealant when replacing, less messy than mastic and doesnt set hard

I used GZ sealing tape to good effect when fitting my windows. Its like putty on a strip and easy to use.

Try this site and you will get 12 metres for the price of one that I have seen in some swindlers.

https://www.cglass.co.uk/adshead-ratcliffe-...e-pr-16921.html

Thanks for everybody's help and advice.

I really hoped there was a way of removing the frame without having to drill out the rivets.

Found a friendly glazier who's tackled this job before: at least I've found the shop, he'll be in tomorrow and I shall have a chat then.

The assistant in the shop thought that as the window had wedge seals it might be possible to do the job on site without removing the whole frame.

You're right about the glass having to be order specially.

Is drilling out rivets and refitting as hard as it sounds or as easy as I hope, if it comes to having to do it that way.

Again thanks again to all.

Just a thought, replace the rivets with self tapping stainless steel screws so that the windows can come out easier next time you have the boat painted, or whatever. You can always paint over the heads so that they don't stick out too much if you window frame isn't the same colour as the screws.

If you use the right size drill and carefully pre tap them with another screw first, they should go in quite easily.

If you do this, make sure that you don't go overboard (sic) with the drill you use to remove the rivets or you could end up having to buy the next size screws

Drilling out pop rivets isnt that hard.

- The worse thing is when/if they start spining in the hole. But its not too hard really. They will be aluminum rivets i imagine.

- They there maybe whatever sealent, which may have to cut with a knife behind, and then the window frame pushed quite hard.

Daniel

Just a thought, replace the rivets with self tapping stainless steel screws so that the windows can come out easier next time you have the boat painted, or whatever. You can always paint over the heads so that they don't stick out too much if you window frame isn't the same colour as the screws.

The disadvantage of this is that a thief with a screwdriver could remove the window in seconds to get into the boat

Having replaced the windows on my boat a couple of years ago all I can say is that even with all the screws removed it took a LOT of hard work to break 20 year old silicone......not that it mattered but I trashed a couple of frames as I removed them.....so be careful cos the alloy channel bends really easily...the other advantage of screws is that you can nip them up a bit if you have a leak.....The mastic tape which Channelglaze sell is a great way to seal them.

HTH

Gareth