Painting my boat

BeckyJC

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I have my boat booked in for a repaint in just over a month's time, and am yet to decide what colour to paint it! Would those of you who have experienced both go for a dark or light roof (dark for warmth in the winter, light for reflecting heat in the summer)?

Aside from the practicalities, has anyone seen any really unusual paint schemes recently? I'm very open to suggestion at the moment; have considered everything from tradtional colours to trying to think of a way to persuade Banksy to paint it for me! I've tried "painting" my boat every colour under the sun in Photoshop already, but fancy something a bit "different" and time is running out.

Cheers,

Becky

not from boating experience - but from camper van experience - I light roof keeps cooler in the summer.

I would say its much easier to heat the boat in the winter than cool it in the summer.

but - with decent insulation (sprayfoam, for instance ) I dont know how much difference it would ACTUALY make inside.

A dark roof might be a bit hot to bare foot , or sit on with shorts etc in the summer !

Hi All,

I have my boat booked in for a repaint in just over a month's time, and am yet to decide what colour to paint it! Would those of you who have experienced both go for a dark or light roof (dark for warmth in the winter, light for reflecting heat in the summer)?

Aside from the practicalities, has anyone seen any really unusual paint schemes recently? I'm very open to suggestion at the moment; have considered everything from tradtional colours to trying to think of a way to persuade Banksy to paint it for me! I've tried "painting" my boat every colour under the sun in Photoshop already, but fancy something a bit "different" and time is running out.

Cheers,

Becky

Don't underestimate the time required to do the job properly.

I wanted a different colour scheme and have done most of the boat in red oxide for practicality but the back cabin in close to the old Cadbury colours of dark brown/green with a cream (not yellow) coachline and signwriting.

You don't see much dark brown about nowadays but it is different and looks good in the right place.

I had to have it specially mixed

I think it really looks the biz but I would say that wouldn't I.

Edited by andywatson

My roof is currently the same colour as the rest of our boat ~(navy blue), and we plan to paint it a light colour this year as I've heard it really helps keep the cool in summer.

I love seeing the bright boats, but people tend to stick the the greens, blues and darker reds, although I love seeing the bright red boats out!

The boat i live on is bright blue with yellow doors and windows...I love it - it stands out against the navys and greens...and it looks like a giant tonka toy :) And I can spot it from a long way off...just to make sure its still there. And now that the daffs have come out in my pots it looks like a very happy boat. :huh:

I find the roof gets dirtier than anywhere else due to being used as a means of access in locks, "fallout" from the chimney etc so next time I'm getting mine done in a darker shade to hide it. Mind you, that won't help with the other problem which is those bl**dy birds that live in the tree I have to moor under!

The previous owners had the roof painted in anti-slip paint. A good idea in many ways, but it makes it even harder to keep clean as the dirt gets caught up in the "anti-slippy bits"

Jim

Edited for typo

Edited by Jim

Hi All,

Cheers,

Becky

I'm sure Phil Speight could help in his role as Grand Master of boat painting and he is a regular visitor to this forum.

I had an interesting chap with a narrowboat painter called Lawrence Burn who was based for a number of years at Fenny Compton, and is still in the area I believe. He told me that for durability of colour it is best to stick to mineral based dyes rather than synthetic ones. Reds are a perennial problem, turning dusty and pink as time progresses.

I spent two weeks moving a boat in bright sunny weather which had an off white roof. I found it blinding (although I confess that I dislike wearing sunglasses, which might have made it better).

Dominic

Go for something different and choose between Black, Red and Green :huh:

no, that's my scheme - go and find something else different ............. :D:):)

................ red's a proper b*gger for getting opaque coverage, needs twice as many coats as green - I won't be using red again.

Keep it light, Ive always had a light roof colour over various boats and never had any probs with needing sunglasses to deflect glare, If anything, i think darker glossy colours reflect the sun in your eyes more,

Dirt shows up just as much on dark colours as it does light

each to their own i guess, ya pays ya money an takes ya choice

Don't underestimate the time required to do the job properly.

I wanted a different colour scheme and have done most of the boat in red oxide for practicality but the back cabin in close to the old Cadbury colours of dark brown/green with a cream (not yellow) coachline and signwriting.

You don't see much dark brown about nowadays but it is different and looks good in the right place.

I had to have it specially mixed

I think it really looks the biz but I would say that wouldn't I.

Brown....looks the biz or looks like biz :huh:

Im sure its lovely, i cant really comment as our boat is painted like a cartoon boat, but I like it

there is a widebeam that spends most of its time in Manchester centre that is painted mostly Mustard and I must say it looks very good

Hi All,

Cheers,

Becky

Whatever suits you best is the best - you have only yourself to please. Reds are okay if you choose the right red and a nightmare if you don`t - legislation makes it difficult to produce chrome colours like reds and yellows that both cover and last well- so perhaps you should paint red only areas which you could repaint early without compromising the rest. Expect no more than 5 years out of a good red these days.Grey can be good , but not obvious ones. Borrow a RAL chart from somewhere and look at 7021,7022 and 7033 . Grey but pleasant and interesting with it. Red and green ( with the emphasis on green ) works well but is commonplace. That said it became a cliche because it looks good. Whatever.

Look on the net , at my site and Craftmasters and evry other painter/paint company then look at historic sites. Buy "Colours of the Cut" , look at as many boats as you can and see if anything turns you on. As it were.

Remember though that discretion is the better part - there `s no point makung a boat look ricdiculous just to be different.

I`m disturbed by the "Grand Master" reference. Is it because I`ve gone appallingly grey in recent years or has my secret pastime been discovered at last?

Cheers

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Probably a bit late in the day to add anything. However would suggest you use a common paint, I used Dulux weathershield stuff from B&Q, it is cheaper easy to apply and is designed to flex in summer and be mould resistance etc. It is easy to get hold of more if you have to do some touching up. FYI my boat is Oxford blue, I have no problem with it and it does not show the dirt that much( it has been two years since I cleaned her)

Brown....looks the biz or looks like biz :huh:

Im sure its lovely, i cant really comment as our boat is painted like a cartoon boat, but I like it

there is a widebeam that spends most of its time in Manchester centre that is painted mostly Mustard and I must say it looks very good

Yup, I'd go for brown, too. Matches the boat name....except...I suppose you could paint it in "blues", but that might just be too subtle?

I saw that Phil mentioned an 'RAL' colour chart in his answer. We've been looking at BS colours on a chart because they are standard mixable shades. Anyone know what the difference is between the two charts. Is one better than t'other?

I saw that Phil mentioned an 'RAL' colour chart in his answer. We've been looking at BS colours on a chart because they are standard mixable shades. Anyone know what the difference is between the two charts. Is one better than t'other?

I think RAL is just a german standard set of colours, I only know this because when I had to find paint for my van if found it was RAL2003 pastel orange, not the best colour to paint a boat though!