Bathroom Location

Featured Posts

We are thing of putting the bathroom at the back of the boat followed by the bedroom then galley then lounge.

Does anyone think having a bathroom utility area/office at the back of the boat a bad idea?

Its a cruiser stern we are thinking as a liveaboard it would be a better wet space than walking straight into the bedroom.

Edited by laural

We are thing of putting the bathroom at the back of the boat followed by the bedroom then galley then lounge.

Does anyone think having a bathroom utility area/office at the back of the boat a bad idea?

Its a cruiser stern we are thinking as a liveaboard it would be a better wet space than walking straight into the bedroom.

If you intend sleeping any guests on board (in the lounge?) they will have to cross your main bedroom to access the bathroom.

How about the other way around kitchen first then lounge then bathroom then bedroom

Reverse layout B)

Alex

you will have a permenantly guggy bathroom... unless you weren't intending to have a through bathroom. Having said that though, you can get delicious turtle mats that absorb all the grime on impact.

Me, personally, for a cruiser stern (which people usually use to access the boat) then I would have the following;

Galley - with some sort of wipe clean flooring as it's always the first to get hit with muddy boots and stuff. The good points is that if you're feeling brave you can nip down into the boat to put the kettle on as you're going along. I'd then go for the living room, but the only problem with this (for me anyway) is that you tend to be in the middle of the boat and if you don't have a side hatch or large windows you can feel quite boxed in. I'd then go for the bathroom and finally the bedroom up front. The problem with the bedroom is that if your doors are central then you would have to climb over the bed to get out the front, or of course you could always set your bed further back from the doors, say 2ft to enable you to get out but that's 2ft which could be utilised elsewhere.

I can't remember the website now, the link is on this one somewhere but it let you design your perfect boat. I thought mine would turn out to be about 190ft but to my suprise it was only 60ft! This was with... back cabin, engine room, double bedroom, bathroom, study, galley, dinette and finally lounge with a decent sized front deck.

It's whatever you feel comfortable with. If I was in your position I think I would drive around as many brokers to look at as many boats as possible for ideas.

Originally we were set on a reverse layout until we went in some and that was it no chance.

The idea behind a rear bathroom is as follows.

You walk in the back you hit a utility room where the washing machine is and storage for mop wet gear ect, you would take of wellies ect here.

You then walk into the bathroom which is walk through into the bedroom which is near to the kitchen and benefits from the warmth of the kitchen in winter.

We like the lounge in the front.

We have realised this at least when looking around brokers.

The bedroom right at the back seems to be a cold place.

Edited by laural

Originally we were set on a reverse layout until we went in some and that was it no chance.

You walk in the back you hit a utility room where the washing machine is and storage for mop wet gear ect, you would take of wellies ect here.

You then walk into the bathroom which is walk through into the bedroom which is near to the kitchen and benefits from the warmth of the kitchen in winter.

Naaaarh --- I dont even like walk through bathrooms

I take it you wont be having any friends staying over and sleeping in the lounge? :)

Alex

Naaaarh --- I dont even like walk through bathrooms

I take it you wont be having any friends staying over and sleeping in the lounge? :)

Alex

That may happen one in a blue moon yes but at the end of the day this is our home we have to live in day in day out.

The back bedroom really worries us in colder nights.

Obviously, you should have it as you want it...

But, bear in mind that if you do decide on a walk through bathroom and you have guests on board, when they are using the "facilities" or if someone is in the shower you won't be able to walk through to the rest of the boat unless you are very friendly in that respect :)

Good point Liam lol.

So what is the benefit of having a walk through?

Is privatcy the only reason for a close off bathroom?

Doea a closed off bathroom make a more open colder space overall?

We will be having a pump out loo with self pump out.

Thought we better mention that as it may figure into the scheme of things in design.

We are thinking on having the tank on the centerline going into the bottom of a wardrobe on the otherside of the bulkhead.

The biggest most obvious benefit of having a walkthrough is the amount of space you get to use, and privacy isn't the only reason why you have a closed off bathroom. Depending on the location people might not want their throne on display and the door may help to keep you know...open the window and keep the door shut kind of thing.

And, closed bathrooms aren't necessarily cold. It's like when you get asked the question "Aren't you cold on your boat in Winter?" Yes you would be cold at home too, if you didn't have heating! Our bathroom is the warmest area on the boat as it's got a radiator in there which is always ticking over.

But isn't it equally if not more awful to have a cold bathroom? And why assume that the end of the boat will be cold anyway, if you are starting from scratch (have I remembered that right?) you will surely have some kind of heating throughout the boat?

I once saw a boat where they had the bathroom at the back. I don't think they liked it very much - they'd come to have the whole stern end removed! (It was a Ray(?) Thomas boat and they were turning it into a semitrad after about twenty years of owning it. Ooops, there goes another bit of history).

Wouldn't it feel a bit exposed having outside doors lead straight into the bathroom?

We have decided on the following layout which we feel suits us as continuous cruisers and will also accomodate the occasional guest.

You walk in the back to the utility room then through to the bedroom. From there into a walkthrough bathroom, which will have doors both sides. Next comes the kitchen and at the front the lounge area.

This layout will allow for privacy when guests are on board.

Maybe not to everyone taste but we feel after a lot of research it is ideal for us.

We have the unusual set up of having two living rooms!

Our layout has the cosy winter living room at the stern (Boatman stove & tv & dvd in there plus it's nearer the warm calorifier and engine (engine under cruiser stern deck), then the bathroom, then the bedroom (loo tank is under the bed so can't move the bedroom or bathroom - it'd be worth bearing in mind whether you'll have a pumpout loo tank and if so where it's going to go if your bathroom's at the back), the study, the utility room (aka. "the cupboard that must not be opened"), the galley-cum-summer front room (converts to dining area and guest bed, and the door opens out onto the bow deck. Plus this room has more windows than the back cabin so is nice and airy for summer)

Works for us. :) And the bathroom warms up quickly from having the stove in the next cabin. And the bedroom is far enough away from the stove to be warm enough but not too hot for sleeping. The front of the boat remains quite cold though - but is cool for summer.

We have the unusual set up of having two living rooms!

Our layout has the cosy winter living room at the stern (Boatman stove & tv & dvd in there plus it's nearer the warm calorifier and engine (engine under cruiser stern deck), then the bathroom, then the bedroom (loo tank is under the bed so can't move the bedroom or bathroom - it'd be worth bearing in mind whether you'll have a pumpout loo tank and if so where it's going to go if your bathroom's at the back), the study, the utility room (aka. "the cupboard that must not be opened"), the galley-cum-summer front room (converts to dining area and guest bed, and the door opens out onto the bow deck. Plus this room has more windows than the back cabin so is nice and airy for summer)

Works for us. :) And the bathroom warms up quickly from having the stove in the next cabin. And the bedroom is far enough away from the stove to be warm enough but not too hot for sleeping. The front of the boat remains quite cold though - but is cool for summer.

Blimey BSP! How long is your boat?! We are on the lookout for a widebeam liveaboard at the moment, and may be considering a new build - so the topic of layout is one we are also pondering..we are aiming for a 60ft or 65ft with 2 bedrooms, and the idea of a utility room sounds interesting but not sure if there would be room. Did someone mention a link to a design-your-own-layout-online thingy? Any chance of pointing us in the right direction?

cheers m'dears

An idea a friend pointed out is to have a narrow space, about 2 or three feet long in the middle of the boat with two side (and roof) hatches and a pair of steps. Add a couple of wet lockers in there and an easy-to-clean floor, rack for boots etc. (could be integral with the steps?) and you've got an entrance way to keep all the muck and grime in one place that you're not treading through the boat, and an easy way to get onto and off the boat.

Edit to add:

Just like in the middle of this (lovely, expensive!) boat: http://www.abnb.co.uk/Boat_pages/fdr1319/1319abnb.php

Edited by FadeToScarlet