What do i do!?

Chickadee

Featured Posts

Yep i think the mooring will be the hardest part. (there are plenty of boats and my money is growing every month) The ones that have been tendered have all gone for more than the guide. :D

Does anyone know what will happen if they stop the tender system? If i got a mooring that had a guide of £1700 and i got it for £2000 after the three years would they use the £2000 mark to go by? I'm guessing that would be the case if so the people putting in crazy bids for moorings might find that they cant afford what BW want to charge after the three years.

Yep i think the mooring will be the hardest part. (there are plenty of boats and my money is growing every month) The ones that have been tendered have all gone for more than the guide. :)

Does anyone know what will happen if they stop the tender system? If i got a mooring that had a guide of £1700 and i got it for £2000 after the three years would they use the £2000 mark to go by? I'm guessing that would be the case if so the people putting in crazy bids for moorings might find that they cant afford what BW want to charge after the three years.

If we all agree to offer a max of £50 for every mooring according to their system they would lower all the online mooring accordingly :D

If we all agree to offer a max of £50 for every mooring according to their system they would lower all the online mooring accordingly :)

Haha if only!

They seem to change the tender system everytime i go on. I'm sure i read somewhere that i couldnt use Solo (the only card i have) now i cant find where it says that. :D

Edit... found it now.

Edited by Chickadee

Rather than going for a marine mortgage, could you not go for a straight bank loan instead? The most they'll do normally is just raise an eyebrow if you mention you want £30000 to get a boat. You may well have a lower interest rate on a straight loan, too.

It does depend on your circumstances, though. The most my bank would lend was £7000! I'm self employed so many finance companies run a mile from me. Anyway, my marine mortgage is less than half what my rent was, I know it's not the best deal when it comes to interest but I'm happier paying for something that is going to become my own rather than for two grotty rooms that never will be.

completly random question probably thanks to going to my uncles funeral on Monday but just wondered what happens to the mooring when you die? I would leave the boat to my parents but its no good to them if the couldnt keep the mooring.

Sorry to be morbid.

Can anyone answer this please?

completly random question probably thanks to going to my uncles funeral on Monday but just wondered what happens to the mooring when you die? I would leave the boat to my parents but its no good to them if the couldnt keep the mooring.

Sorry to be morbid.

That's ok, but since you're being morbid... I considered this in detail and decided that nothing matters any more when you're dead! :cheers:

Seriously though, I disagree with Sue. If the mooring is in the family name there's no reason why your parents couldn't carry on leasing it. I haven't followed the thread so I'm not sure if it's a BW or private mooring, but whoever owned the mooring would have to be pretty hard-hearted (and would probably be acting illegally) to try to kick someone off just because a loved who had lived on the boat had died, especially if the family were willing to continue leasing it!

Edited by blackrose

Hi Chickadee

I suspect that you can only leave something in a will, if you own it, and most moorings are rented.

The mooring contract will be with a specific moorer, not the boat.

I don't think Chickadee was thinking that she could leave the mooring to her parents in her will! She's just talking about her parents continuing to rent it. I see no problem with that.

I don't think Chickadee was thinking that she could leave the mooring to her parents in her will! She's just talking about her parents continuing to rent it. I see no problem with that.

I'd guess that if it's a private mooring that may be possible, but probably not if it's a BW mooring.

I'd guess that if it's a private mooring that may be possible, but probably not if it's a BW mooring.

Why not? If it's leased in the family name it's entirely possible - people do it all the time.

Are people really saying that upon the death of a moorer, BW would insist that a boat is moved from its mooring even though other members of the immediate and bereaved family wish to continue paying for the mooring from the same account holder's family address? The BW customer/moorer number doesn't even need to be changed. Come on, even BW aren't that bad!

Edit: Chickadee, why not just ask BW?

Edited by blackrose

Sorry to be morbid.

Well thats the way I read it. :cheers:

Well thats the way I read it. :cheers:

Well, I suggest you re-read it. You've highlighted the end of one sentence and the beginning of the next to make your point, which makes no sense at all!

Nowhere does she mention leaving anything to her parents apart from the boat which she owns, and for them to be able to keep (renting) the mooring.

Surely nobody thinks that if they die their family then owns a mooring which they were previously renting! :lol:

Edited by blackrose

I would leave the boat to my parents but its no good to them if the couldnt keep the mooring.

I agree the word will was not actually in the post but I assumed, maybe wrongly, that after the losss of her uncle she mentioned leaving the boat to her parents.

Now I connected leaving to will, as people leave items in their will.

Surely nobody thinks that if they die their family then owns a mooring which they were previously renting! :cheers:

Not that they own it, but maybe the thought was that the renting could be transfered in the will.

Edited by bottle

Opps sorry i didnt mean to cause a debate!

I meant if my parents were to inherit the boat and then get kicked off the mooring that would be pretty rubbish!

I'm sure most owners of moorings would be understanding to the problem.

I would have asked BW but i thought you guys would give me a quicker and better answer!

I'm not planning on dying anytime soon just trying to think of every problem that might come along. I'm sure there will be many things at havent thought about.

Opps sorry i didnt mean to cause a debate!

I meant if my parents were to inherit the boat and then get kicked off the mooring that would be pretty rubbish!

I'm sure most owners of moorings would be understanding to the problem.

I would have asked BW but i thought you guys would give me a quicker and better answer!

I'm not planning on dying anytime soon just trying to think of every problem that might come along. I'm sure there will be many things at havent thought about.

I think in that situation, BW (or any other owner of a mooring) would be very understanding and your family wouldn't have a problem, but others here disagree with me. If it is a concern and you don't want the thought of burdening your family with a boat that has no mooring, you should put the boat and the mooring in the family name (i.e. The Smith Family), and you should also check with the main BW moorings office in your area just to make 100% sure.

Edited by blackrose

ahh i didnt know you could use family names. That would be handy if i decided i didnt want to stay on the boat too. (not that i think thats going to happen) i think my dad would want to keep it on in that situation too.

Yes, there's no reason you can't say it's a family owned and used boat rather than naming any particular person. From what you say at the start of this thread your Dad's quite involved in the purchase and will be maintaining it, so that seems to be more or less the actual situation. I'm sure your family will be expecting to enjoy the boat with you occasionally in the summer months. Anyway, good luck with it.

Edited by blackrose

yeah hes going to be so much help, hes getting so into the idea he took my mum to look at boats without me last weekend! haha I know he will back off and let me do my thing with it most of the time but i really want him involved too. He taught me alot about cars and gardening as i was growing up so i would really like to learn everything i can from him about boats too. It will be handy to have trust worthy people to leave the boat with if we want to go on holiday etc too.

Thanks for your advice I will be on to the local BW in the morning to see what they say.

I've been living on a 32ft nb for 3 years now, and I love it.

If I were to start again, though (which I would do in a heartbeat, btw) I would do this:

*puts on tin hat*

Look on Apollo Duck, Ebay and the Norman forum at narrow beam(under 7ft), 23-29ft cruisers. Builders to look for are Dawncraft, Norman and Waverider. Spend no more than £5000.

Spend the summer having fun on the river.

When the winter comes, either:

a)insulate your boat and install a woodburner, for a couple of hundred quid

b)sell it for what you paid, and use it as a deposit on a narrowboat

c)sell it and thank god you don't have to go near one of those stinking boats again.

Nearly everyone will think that's a mad idea, but there's a guy on my mooring who has a 25ft Dawncraft Dandy, and I'm absolutely amazed at how comfortable he's made it just by fitting a few rolls of insulation.

If you went to the gym every day you could live without a shower onboard(well, I could,anyway), and there's more storage than you get on a lot of 50ft narrowboats. True, they are very caravanish, but it is a really low risk way of seeing if this sort of lifestyle is for you.

Just a thought. Let us know how you get on, feel free to PM me if you want a chat.