Lea flooding

steelaway

Featured Posts

It can never flood (not to say that it doesnt - potential circumstances that have so far never occured might offer a different scenario for possible flooding)

All floodwater is sent down the Lea relief channel

At Springfield/Coppermill (yesterday and today) the flow is faster (as usually happens after heavy rain) but levels are normal

Edited by fender

It can never flood (not to say that it doesnt - potential circumstances that have so far never occured might offer a different scenario for possible flooding)

All floodwater is sent down the Lea relief channel

At Springfield/Coppermill (yesterday and today) the flow is faster (as usually happens after heavy rain) but levels are normal

Thanks Fender - I appreciate the info

Yes - are you keeping an eye on it as well?

Alex

Not at the moment, im in london but possibly moving over to springfield this weekend. I saw your boat over the xmas period and i liked the look of it as its quite different and doesnt look like your run of the mill narrowboat ( apart from being long and narrow of course)

nice boat. I shall keep an eye on it if i find a mooring spot in the area.

(how long you planning to leave it unattended? just so i know to be suspicious if i see someone on it)

Edited by honey ryder

nice boat. I shall keep an eye on it if i find a mooring spot in the area.(how long you planning to leave it unattended? just so i know to be suspicious if i see someone on it)

its pretty full at the mo you'll prob have to moor on the marshes side

I can see all the boats on the walthamstow side and part along Springfield as i travel by train past the site, ps thats how I can check the water levels daily - by the way there hasnt been any changes that would be a cause for alarm

Edited by fender

Not at the moment, im in london but possibly moving over to springfield this weekend. I saw your boat over the xmas period and i liked the look of it as its quite different and doesnt look like your run of the mill narrowboat ( apart from being long and narrow of course)

nice boat. I shall keep an eye on it if i find a mooring spot in the area.

(how long you planning to leave it unattended? just so i know to be suspicious if i see someone on it)

Hi Honey (sounds a bit familiar that - sorry)

You may see my Son on it from time to time, he works in London.

Thanks again

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

I'm moored at springfield and have been for a number of years - the lea (or lee) does and has flooded but not for a number of years. In theory it shouldn't because of the relief channel and weir downstream, but the weir sometimes can be blocked as has old ford lock - because of all the crap people throw in. Last time was about 6 years ago when a number of boats in springfield sank because of tight mooring ropes and ending up on the towpath.

Current levels are normal

Best to get someone to look out for your boat just in case - we're a friendly lot

I'm moored at springfield and have been for a number of years - the lea (or lee) does and has flooded but not for a number of years. In theory it shouldn't because of the relief channel and weir downstream, but the weir sometimes can be blocked as has old ford lock - because of all the crap people throw in. Last time was about 6 years ago when a number of boats in springfield sank because of tight mooring ropes and ending up on the towpath.

Best to get someone to look out for your boat just in case - we're a friendly lot

River dropped back to normal yesterday at ponders end and very little water coming over the weir today.

You must know Pete & Marion, I Moored there for a while when Nick company was dredging there a couple of summers ago, they had alot of fun trying to get the boat in the pictures out of the mud so they could dredge there :) My boat next to Iron clad.Fairford239.jpg

Fairford236.jpg

Fairford216.jpg

im currently moored up just 3 back from steelaway, i can say that the flow is very slow now compared with a week or so ago.

Hi There

Thanks for that. Pop up and say hello to my son Sean he is on his own and he would get the shock of his life.

Ask him about his MR2 wheel - I would love to see his face! :)

Alex

If any of you have boats at Springfield on the towpath you've not seen for a while, then check - lots have notices on them! Just walked the dogs there an hour ago.

Hi Everyone

Just spoke to my son and it seem there has been many boats ticketed and told to away by 08.00 am or pay a £25.00 fine.

Where can I put my boat.

Alex

I spoke to sean on steelaway last night and showed him lots of places where he can move the boat to, locally but far enough away so it counts.

i saw loads of boats with tickets on, thankfully its not a blanket sweep, mine wasnt ticketed as ive only been there 4 days.

I spoke to sean on steelaway last night and showed him lots of places where he can move the boat to, locally but far enough away so it counts.

i saw loads of boats with tickets on, thankfully its not a blanket sweep, mine wasnt ticketed as ive only been there 4 days.

Hi There

He said he had talked to you and gained a lot of information, you seem to have given him some confidence with the situation - Thanks

I talked to the warden today and Sean can move it this Saturday to Rammey Lock. He is on his own though and they are double locks. Do you know if any one else is going to be going up on Saturday?

Thanks again for your time.

Alex

Oh but it is a blanket sweep.

I have just had word from my insider that SE and London areas are having a purge. All the overstayers from my local town are now opposite me and have been since the weekend. I have been told that in another nine days they will get another set of overstay notices the same as they got on Friday.... and so it will go on.

Julian

Edited by idleness

Hi There

He said he had talked to you and gained a lot of information, you seem to have given him some confidence with the situation - Thanks

I talked to the warden today and Sean can move it this Saturday to Rammey Lock. He is on his own though and they are double locks. Do you know if any one else is going to be going up on Saturday?

Thanks again for your time.

Alex

Rammey?

I dont think you'll be welcome other than just a brief stay there

wots wrong with Stonebridge?

Edited by fender