Warwickshire ring

StoneHenge

Featured Posts

All,

We are planning to do the Warwickshire ring over the Easter hols as we really only get chance during term breaks at school.

We are going to take two weeks over it so as we can easily spend a day here or there giving the kids a break from constant crusing.

So my questions are:

1) what is the canal route website? (I have a sieve for a brain today)

2) Are there any good places to stop and visit for the day along the route

3) Are there any really carp bits you would not recommend mooring for the night or in any good ones?

All,

We are planning to do the Warwickshire ring over the Easter hols as we really only get chance during term breaks at school.

We are going to take two weeks over it so as we can easily spend a day here or there giving the kids a break from constant crusing.

So my questions are:

1) what is the canal route website? (I have a sieve for a brain today)

2) Are there any good places to stop and visit for the day along the route

3) Are there any really carp bits you would not recommend mooring for the night or in any good ones?

With 2 weeks you've got plenty of time to enjoy yoursleves. Here are a couple of suggestions.

You can spend a fun day with the kids at Drayton Manor Park (near Fazeley). There are moorings directly opposite the entrance.

Spend a couple of days in the middle of Birmingham (there's plenty to see and do, with all the shops & theatres etc. The canalside Sealife centre is good but very expensive; there are often 2-for-one vouchers available if you search the nespapers, web, etc). The moorings there are very good.

Spend half a day at Cadbury's World - especially if any of the party are chocoholics. But I'd not recommend mooring there overnight. In fact I'd not recommend stopping overnight anywhere between Birmingham City Centre and the Drawbridge on the North Stratford (that route is easier and prettier than the route via Knowle). There was a thread 18 months ago about moorings on the route to and from Birmingham.

Around the rest of the ring, my view of Nuneaton is that its best travelled through without stopping, although others may disagree.

Thanks Alan et al,

We intend on going anti clockwise with the ring so we do the nuneaton bit first, then brum etc. I heard that there was a pub in birminghm which was the last for 6 hours before gas street and it was safe to moor for the night, but was told not to moor anywhere between that pub and gas street

Is gas street the one near all the night clubs?

Yes, and having moored there it can be very noisy. I'd much rather moor just up the main line from Old Turn Junction, near the Sea Life Centre and the NIA. It's a residential area so it's much quieter, yet it's close to Brindley Place etc for bars and restaurants. Use one of the loops to turn around so you're facing the right way to continue the Warks Ring.

I heard that there was a pub in birminghm which was the last for 6 hours before gas street and it was safe to moor for the night, but was told not to moor anywhere between that pub and gas street

Yes.....

The Dog in a Doublet on Curdworth Flight is as far as I'd go, then next stop Gas Street Basin....

Thanks. A boaty friend said she moored up in brum near some night clubs, only she hadn't realised until it got late and she heard the boom, boom, boom music. She said she found quite a few dancing on the roof and even found themselves at the other side of the cut because they were untied.

I like my sleep, and the kids won't sleep through night club noise, so thanks for the suggestion of the quieter mooring spots.

Thanks. A boaty friend said she moored up in brum near some night clubs, only she hadn't realised until it got late and she heard the boom, boom, boom music. She said she found quite a few dancing on the roof and even found themselves at the other side of the cut because they were untied.

I like my sleep, and the kids won't sleep through night club noise, so thanks for the suggestion of the quieter mooring spots.

As recommended, moor near the sealife centre (just inside the arm near old turn junction) underneath the "Bank" restaurant next to Banntines gym.

I've stopped in B'ham loads - not had any problems, never seen any either !

Map here... http://www.waterexplorer.co.uk/gmaps/gmap....mp;PlaceId=4591

Yes.....

The Dog in a Doublet on Curdworth Flight is as far as I'd go, then next stop Gas Street Basin....

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far as there are visitor moorings just the Birmingham side of Curdworth Tunnel leaving a mere 27 locks to Gas Street Basin instead of 34 or whatever from the Dog in a Doublet. Be aware though that going this way you are running into trouble, so don't be tempted to press on for an extra hour. If you fail to make it through Aston Locks stop at Cuckoo wharf: it's basically safe but a bit bleak and lonely so only for emergencies really.

There's nothing wrong with the Northern GU through Knowle but Gas Street isn't on that route so you'd have to do Farmers Bridge locks twice and several extra locks to go that way.

Can't really add to the "good places to stop" except if the kids like a stroll don't ignore the countryside, and I'm told Cape of Good Hope is the place to stop for Warwick, but I've never tried it.

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far as there are visitor moorings just the Birmingham side of Curdworth Tunnel leaving a mere 27 locks to Gas Street Basin instead of 34 or whatever from the Dog in a Doublet. Be aware though that going this way you are running into trouble, so don't be tempted to press on for an extra hour. If you fail to make it through Aston Locks stop at Cuckoo wharf: it's basically safe but a bit bleak and lonely so only for emergencies really.

There's nothing wrong with the Northern GU through Knowle but Gas Street isn't on that route so you'd have to do Farmers Bridge locks twice and several extra locks to go that way.

Can't really add to the "good places to stop" except if the kids like a stroll don't ignore the countryside, and I'm told Cape of Good Hope is the place to stop for Warwick, but I've never tried it.

Yes it's really too far to go from the Dog in a Doublet to Birmingham centre in one day. It can be done but it's a lot of hard work.

Just beyond Curdworth tunnel is good, also (as I suggested in the earlier thread) a little way beyond that is the Kingsway at Wiggins Hill bridge. You can get food and drink there OK and a peaceful night. It's a decent day's travel from there to the City Centre; last time took me 7 hours, in the opposite direction, but I was boating single-handed.

There are one or two places further on. It's usually OK by the Cinema complex at Butler's Bridge, because there are (or were) night-time security patrols in the carpark - but the fact that the patrols are even considered necessary speaks volumes, and they're not actually patrolling the canal. Years ago I used to stop at Tyburn overnight, these days I wouldn't stop there if you paid me!

How far is curdworth tunnel from the city centre then? We are trying to plan days where we can travel for around 6-7 a day then rest up for the day as the kids will get way too bored otherwise even with one of us inside, so from the dog in a doublet, you would suggest just after the tunnel?

Sorry edited to say, Alan answered my question above!

Edited by StoneHenge

When we did the warks Ring, we did Birmingham city centre to Fazely Junction in a day -- 15 miles and 38 locks -- so it's not impossible although it is hard work.

We also got flashed at by a boy sitting by the entrance to Curdworth tunnel!

When we did the warks Ring, we did Birmingham city centre to Fazely Junction in a day -- 15 miles and 38 locks -- so it's not impossible although it is hard work.

One day last august I boated from the Samuel Barlow pub at Alvecote to Gas Street Basin, including a detour up the Garrison Locks and around the Digbeth (Typhoo) Basin so Dog in a Doublet is childs play. I've done Dog in a Doublet to Gas Street with a motor and butty and a three man crew.........Its 11 miles and 34 locks and Canal Planner says it should take 9 hours, 19 minutes. I find them aways generous timings......

I suggested the Dog in a Doublet because it would be realistic to spend a day at Drayton Manor Park, then continue for 3 miles and 3 locks on to 'The Dog'. If you wanted to do DMP you are faced with doing very little the next day just up to Curdworth tunnel, 5 miles and 11 locks (3 hours 38 minutes) or putting in a longer day and pressing on to Gas St. The Dog in a Doublet gives you the oportunity to reduce the length of that long day without eating too much into your day out at DMP.....

Personally I'd spend the day at Drayton Manor, spend that night at the Dog, stay there for a while in the morning (taking a brisk walk around the nature reserve to help dissipate the effects of the Dog's excellent food and drink) before taking a short trip up to the Kingsway for an early night. The short day would build up everyone's enthusiasm for an energetic trip up to Birmingham, to arrive there early and claim the best mooring spot.

Incidentally last time I went to the Kingsway they were having a pub quiz. I didn't enter because I arrived one-third of the way through it, then wished I had entered because the questions were really easy and I would have won a prize anyway.

Great advice everyone, thanks! It will help with the planning when we have sprogs to keep amused!

What would you recommend for other areas? For example (and I am probably wrong), but I heard some areas of Rugby were not so nice (maybe CarlT can dispell this one).

Are there are nice places before you get to the Newbold Tunnel? It's as far as we have been that way, so I've no knowledge, and nice quiet and safe moorings are always a plus for us.

Also, being live a boards as well, we tend to have some stuff on the roof. Mainly this is crates of wood we have collected for seasining, but apart from the pole, hook, plank etc we have a few bits. Would you suggest a pre trip clean up of that as to not attract too much attention?

Not 100% sure about the areas near the canals but there's some nice pubs round this way.

Give me a ring as you come through Rugby and I'll meet you for a chat and a pint if you like.

I'll PM you my mobile number if you fancy it?

Hi Stoney,

Unless you are into hairy rides take a good book if you go to Drayton Manor, we stopped there a couple of years ago girls loved every minute, my wife and I sat and watched. One tip if you do Tesco and and have any clubcard vouchers you can do the 4:1 so £25 of gets you £100 and that will pay for the entrance.

have a good trip

Ken

Thanks Alan et al,

We intend on going anti clockwise with the ring so we do the nuneaton bit first, then brum etc. I heard that there was a pub in birminghm which was the last for 6 hours before gas street and it was safe to moor for the night, but was told not to moor anywhere between that pub and gas street

The Dog in Doublet can get very crowded. We stopped at Wiggins Hill Bridge There is a Chain Pub there which is OK that is only about 4 and a half hours from Farmers Bridge Top Lock. Immediately by that lock is Cambrian Wharf which is a safe mooring and three minutes walk from ICC, Sea Life Centre and Broad Street clubs (if you want them). I would reccommend having a look in the Art Gallery in the ICC they often have a very interesting exhibition on there (and you can buy the paintings if you've got plenty of money!)

Further round, don't forget to allow some time to see Braunston. You don't go directly through it so you can either moor up and walk back (10 mins) ot turn right at Braunston turn and go as far as the Marina entrance and turn there. That is the best place to turn below Bottom Lock.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but Cambrian Basin is a must place to stop in the centre of Birmingham. Right at the top of Farmers Bridge locks, near water point, rubbish etc. Nice lady with cat has a permanent mooring on the left as you look at it and she will let you know if its okay to moor alongside...

Other than that, stop at top of Hatton Locks - The Waterman is nice (or was), then there is always the Blue Lias...

Two weeks to do the Warwickshire Ring gives loads of time for stopping and visiting places.

I'd suggest the following in addition to what has already been suggested:

1. Warwick Castle - moor by Cape of Good Hope or for easier access The Saltisford Arm (and you can visit the supermarket on the way back)

2. Black Country Museum - not on the ring but a very worthwhile detour. Go round the loops and via the Old Main Line, come back via the New Main Line. You can moor safely at the Black Country Museum. If you stay overnight and have some time visit Mad O'Rourke's Pie Factory and get yourself some Cow Pie and Holden's Bitter.

3. Birmingham:

i. see what's on at the NIA and Symphony Hall. Alternatively there are a few theatres within walking distance.

ii. Broad Street - this is what is supposed to make the City vibrant. OK if you are under 25 and like binge drinking. There a couple of cinemas up there and also some lapdancing if that's to your taste (and pub after pub after pub)

iii. The Bullring and Mailbox - loads of shops - best avoided unless you are into shopping

iv. Balti houses - get a taxi to take you into Sparkbrook and go to a proper Balti (Curry) house

As for moorings, Birmingham City Centre is usually OK and I would suggest away from the noisy parts by the clubs. Usual caveats about mooring in urban areas. Certainly don't moor near Kings Norton Junction and watch out for missiles when you exit Brandwood Tunnel. If you get thoroughly spooked in Birmingham (and really you shouldn't) then moor at Sherborne Street Wharf.