Unlicenced boats

GUMPY

Featured Posts

If you qualify for housing benefit the local authority will pay your mooring (but not always your licence).

Thankyou Carl.

Any idea as to why "not always your licence" ??

Surely having a licence is a pre-requesite (cue anal spelling police <_< ) for being allowed to be on your boat?

Thankyou Carl.

Surely having a licence is a pre-requesite (cue anal spelling police <_< ) for being allowed to be on your boat?

Some councils interpret the guidelines differently to others. I think there was supposed to be some clarification but I still know some folk who get their licence paid and some who don't.

Thankyou Carl.

Because having a licence does not entitle you to live on your boat. I take it that the Daily Mail readers here are somewhat confused between DSS and Housing Benefit.

The grey area has been covered in the forum in a housing benefit ruling.

Because having a licence does not entitle you to live on your boat. I take it that the Daily Mail readers here are somewhat confused between DSS and Housing Benefit.

The grey area has been covered in the forum in a housing benefit ruling.

The argument was, though, that it was impossible to get a mooring, without a licence (though these days, it seems, you don't even need a boat!).

The argument was, though, that it was impossible to get a mooring, without a licence (though these days, it seems, you don't even need a boat!).

and without a licence you aren't allowed on the water and could have your home taken away from you.....

Blah blah whinge moan scrounging tossers etc etc...

What has that got to do with my question???

the post is not a moan , it is meant to ask what will happen to the people on boats who are in receipt of benefit with the changes.

lower incomes because of reduced benefits while faced with all the increases faced on the canals.

clearly you have not read any posts of mine in the past that show my support for the less well off , my own sick note is in front of me now waiting to go in on monday , i would call you a silly silly fool but i dont want you crying .

In my area B.W.B. changed our visitors moorings into Agenda 21, and Residentual, and promised the Aliens these, who were having meetings about how to have a community on the canal. We already are a community, so didn't need meetings, infact B.W.B. asked me to organise meetings for my area, but on discussion the same conclusion was met.

We looked into the criterea of Agenda 21 and realised it was to protect communities exactly like ours, and assumeing we could just share our moorings, and did not object, as haveing spent twenty years preparing variuos projects had reached the point of "many hands make light work". Indeed I went to one of the Aliens meetings with annother boater to see the score, and all we saw is people given several pages of writing being talked at. Whenever they asked a question, the reply was a request to turn to the next page; resulting in a room full of fairly young people , doing exactly that.

It turned out that in order to have this community they needed all our moorings, and the person organising these meetings needed my land and house. So what happens to the previous people:

We are now plagued with slander theft and vandalism, personally I also get attacked regularly! As a result of our all being forced out of the area, Two people are dead, and one couple have had their seven children put into care. I spend half my working life on call to mentally ill people, and their children, who used to visit the various projects. Actually I have spent my life saveings scince all this and have everyting I earn stolen or smashed up.

Some of these people are on benefits. Personally I know nothing of the system, but It looks like I'll either starve, "sue the b******ds", or find out! :rolleyes:

I know that if DSS are paying the licence/mooring for someone they dont get one for the window

Julian

could you tell me where you get the info on DSS paying for the license/mooring fee? I used to b a benefits advisor and have not come accross this. As far as I know this dosnt happen and dont know under what regs it might. Unless you are on a real residential mooring and have fallen on hard times and happen to be renting your boat from a landlord. I suspect this DSS paying peoples licenses is a myth akin to the one published in the sun years ago about travellers recieving extra money for their dogs, was never true but entered public conciousness thru people believing crap that otha people tell them without checking facts.

Unless you are on a real residential mooring and have fallen on hard times and happen to be renting your boat from a landlord. I suspect this DSS paying peoples licenses

That kind of secure rent is why the area I am in is now dilapidated, and they'l fight you for permanent moorings. This is also a step up on processing to council housing in the area , even takeing priority over local people. The excuse given fto bulldoze of our livelyhoods, and remove our visitors moorings, was it's an "Operation" and"Money talks"!

And the higher end of the Scam market(anyone with half a brain'll ...) isn't getting a hit because of all the required f**k ups. So it's more like money whispering in a f**k up factory, and there seems to be no shortage of staff!

my last point on this b4 I descend into ranting. Please follow your arguments thru till their conclusion, what do you think should be done with all these unlicenced benefit scroungers who u have heard r having their licenses paid for by your hard earned tax money? should their boats be removed from the system and crushed? the occupants made homeless so you dont have to look at them?

The cost of rehousing those people who r deemed to be in priority need would be significant. The cost of rehousing them would be bourne by you and me anyway as tax payers

Many of the comments seem to be going down the tedious route of school ground classifying people as worthy or worthless scroungers who should not have human rights etc..

If you were in control what wd u do?

Please b carefull, as soon as one starts making blanket judgements on ANY group of people and not actually finding out what their INDIVIDUAL situation is, how they got there etc. you have ceased to see those people as human beings and r viewing them as a group not individuals, this is always dangerous.

Substitute the phrase "poor dears who r having their human rights infringed" for cockroaches and see how that feels. Chances r you do actually view those people as subhuman and question their right to exist.

Genocide watch identifies dehumanising groups of people as a significant indicator of a potential genocide.

I worked with genocide survivors for a while and one survivor told me not to assume that I would not take part in a genocide under the right conditions, she said that the people that killed in Rwanda were their teachers, lawyers bin men and next door neighbours who had had misinformation pumped into them and their views legitamised by the govt.

I know its over dramatic but it made me very cautious of making any assumptions about any group of people without checking the facts first hand myself lest I be part of the problem instead of part of the solution.

Thats in Africa I hear u cry, wouldnt happen in the UK. Crap. There r numerous acconts of people here taking action against people, harming them and killing them based on misinformation and ignorance. Remember the tabloid reading folk who tried to attack the peadiatrician during the publish the details of all convicted scedule 1 offenders campaign?

My freind Sarah had her converted coach petrol bombed by local kids after stories about benefit scrouncing travellers in the late 80's. She worked for the local authority as a data entry clerk. Her one year old baby died in that attack and she was draped in burning plastic whilst trying to reach her dying baby. In the UK.

Not trying to depress anyone but wheneva I hear views expressed like some of the ones I've just read on here I think of innocent people who have been killed by ignorance and get cross a bit.

We r not allowed to kill people we dont like, and thats the only reason we dont, because there would be negative consequenses for us.

Just think before you judge. Get to know the scruffy folk with their dodgy boats and find out who they really are and maybe even ask if they need help. challenge the hatred with love and the world gets a bit betta insted of worse. please.

I know that if DSS are paying the licence/mooring for someone they dont get one for the window

Julian

could you tell me where you get the info on DSS paying for the license/mooring fee? I used to b a benefits advisor and have not come accross this. As far as I know this dosnt happen and dont know under what regs it might. Unless you are on a real residential mooring and have fallen on hard times and happen to be renting your boat from a landlord. I suspect this DSS paying peoples licenses is a myth akin to the one published in the sun years ago about travellers recieving extra money for their dogs, was never true but entered public conciousness thru people believing crap that otha people tell them without checking facts.

I have evidence in my hand that the DHSS pay for mooring fees as housing benefit.

Mate.

I have evidence in my hand that the DHSS pay for mooring fees as housing benefit.

Mate.

mooring fees is doable if you r on a real bona fide residential mooring, these r rare as hens teeth. Most marinas do not in fact have residential planning permission for more than a few boats and get round this by charging you for 9 or 10 months and tacking on a "supplement" which is usually carefully not called a residential supplement. If you try to claim HB they will inform you that you r ineligible as you r not permitted to reside at that address, unless you r moored on an actual mooring that has been granted full residential permission. Hence no council tax. By the way the DHSS is now called DWP.

My friend applied afta loosing job on a mooring that he paid £3.5k a year and was deemed ineligible and lost challenge at appeal. What evidence you got?

Thanks Mate :o

Edited by tired old pirate

Things are getting a bit :o

Unliceced boats are there for us all, what you do with them is up to you.

Most people would like the bonus of a licenced boat to enjoy their boat as theirs. When a boat is licenced how many of your rights do you sign away to the B.W.B.

The biggest freedom is knowing how to look out for the wildlife, and knowing how to maintain/build your boat safely and healthily. The best thing you can do is work that out, travel, and pass it on to the next generation.(Maybee some unlicenced boats need a hand with compliency).

I have deleted a number of :o posts.

I realise that this topic can be very emotive, but please refrain from taking the thread off-topic again, and avoid descending to personal slanging matches. If I have to delete or edit any further posts on this thread, their author will automatically receive a formal warning (which, if they have 2 or more existing warnings, will also result in an immediate suspension from the forum). PLease guys, I'd much rather have a peaceful evening watching TV.

Things are getting a bit :o

Unliceced boats are there for us all, what you do with them is up to you.

Most people would like the bonus of a licenced boat to enjoy their boat as theirs. When a boat is licenced how many of your rights do you sign away to the B.W.B.

The biggest freedom is knowing how to look out for the wildlife, and knowing how to maintain/build your boat safely and healthily. The best thing you can do is work that out, travel, and pass it on to the next generation.(Maybee some unlicenced boats need a hand with compliency).

Somehow someone towed away and scrapped the off topic stuff! Apologies if ;) don't make sense!

do they pay for yours?

Housing Benefit is paid by the local authority, not, strictly the DSS.

A friend of mine was receiving housing benefit for her mooring and licence. She moved her boat and, when she went to the new Council, to transfer her claim, she was told that they didn't regard the licence fee as rent, so they'd only pay the mooring fee.

She returned to her old mooring that day.

Housing Benefit is paid by the local authority, not, strictly the DSS.

A friend of mine was receiving housing benefit for her mooring and licence. She moved her boat and, when she went to the new Council, to transfer her claim, she was told that they didn't regard the licence fee as rent, so they'd only pay the mooring fee.

She returned to her old mooring that day.

wow thats interesting, methinks a judicial review or 2 of a refusal decision would set a useful precedent :o Can u apply to local authority without having a permanent mooring and stand a chance of getting ur license paid do u think?

I can understand how some people may struggle to afford licences because they are unemployed or otherwise disadvantaged.

Perhaps BW could offer such individuals free licences in return for performing useful tasks like acting as mooring wardens or patrol officers and helping to keep the canals clear of unlicensed boats.

I can understand how some people may struggle to afford licences because they are unemployed or otherwise disadvantaged.

Perhaps BW could offer such individuals free licences in return for performing useful tasks like acting as mooring wardens or patrol officers and helping to keep the canals clear of unlicensed boats.

seems ironic to me that councils refuse to pay HB for mooring but would happily rehouse people using the rent deposit scheme. Local reference rents for bedfordshire is £600 per month which housing benefit will pay. If you r a buy 2 let landlord and register your property with the rent deposit guarantee scheme, housing benefit will pay your mortgage for you. Yet they would refuse £500 a year to help with a license. Hmmm. ;)

Not biting on the useful tasks comment you mischievious little scamp :o

Edited by tired old pirate