catflaps

goldtone

Featured Posts

I searched the forum but gave up after a while, I know....lazy!

What about them? are they a security risk?

I suppose when boat is locked from the outside it ain't as much a risk, but when in the boat an urchin could open the doors by getting hand thru flap and opening bottom catch.

I don't really wanna have to get one of them disgusting cat trays, and my cat is far to civilized to use one!

So any advice/experience would come in handy!

I searched the forum but gave up after a while, I know....lazy!

What about them? are they a security risk?

I suppose when boat is locked from the outside it ain't as much a risk, but when in the boat an urchin could open the doors by getting hand thru flap and opening bottom catch.

I don't really wanna have to get one of them disgusting cat trays, and my cat is far to civilized to use one!

So any advice/experience would come in handy!

I agree that if you have cats on yout boat a cat flap is indepensable. At the end of the day if somebody wants to get into your boat they will - have seen very few boats that couldn't be broken into in seconds with a decent jemmy/hammer. If you are worried about security of the door fit a bolt to the top of the door for use at night and a deadlock/padlock for use when you are off the boat.

Tim

hi,

I agree you have to have a catflap. our cat has been on board since a kitten and is in and out all times of the day! we ring a small brass bell when she gets food or a treat. if we move the boat or need her on board we just ring the bell and 'flap flap flap' one (slightly hopefull) kitten at your feet! pavlovs cat!

we also have a top and bottom catch.

cheers

lee

If you want to put a cat flap in, then just put it as far from the lock and catches as possible.

Its worth getting a decent lock put on the front door - I would always advise fitting a steel front door if the boat is going to be left.

We have two cats but could never bring ourselves to put a flap in and have to cut holes in the door.

Our two cats usually sleep onboard at night and go out in the early morning and evening. Its just a pattern they have got in to. They came back on board when we whistle which allows us to sail.

We also have a cratch, so they can shelter in there if we are not on board and able to let them in.

Occasionally, they stray from this routine, but hey thats cats and we just have to wait for them to return from their shore excursions.

We have a litter tray onboard but they rarely use it.

One word of warning, we find coping with cats and roads difficult - so many moorings are near busy roads.

From time to time, we tend to leave the cats with relatives if we are forced to moor near lots of roads..

Edited by NB Willawaw

One word of warning, we find coping with cats and roads difficult - so many moorings are near busy roads.

gc071210.jpg

Our experience with 'GC' is very similar - but he is very wary of roads - we find it especially difficult to persuade him to ride in the car and when we can get him into the car we have to keep the speed down to less than 25 mph or he goes mad. He is OK on trains and boats but just does't trust us to be in charge of the steering of anything that goes much faster than he can run . . .

Sheep eat birds if they can as part of their diet.

True, but sheep never stalk their prey and spend considerable time "playing" with their unfortunate victim! (Cats know full well that adrenaline helps tenderize the flesh of their victims!).

Sheep will eat because of hunger, cats will kill out of devilment, amusement, entertainment and pure cruelty!

I would NEVER, EVER contemplate taking a bird murderer onto the waterways, where there is an abundance of wild birds!

'GC' doesn't bother with small birds - the only ones he has ever caught are pigeons and he doesn't really bother with those anymore. He has had a bell fitted to his collar for the last five years so, even if he did fancy the occasional bird, this would probably serve to warn them of his approach!

He does however manage to catch a fair few mice and some rats.

I would NEVER, EVER contemplate taking a bird murderer onto the waterways, where there is an abundance of wild birds!

Now, I ain't condoning murder, but......

If there is an abundance, it don't matter so much if a cat has the odd one does it?! That is just how cats are made.

Anyway, my cat only has great big things like pigeon, blackbirds and starlings, she don't go for small fry!

Edited by goldtone

You can get cat flaps that are locked until operated by a proximity sensor fitted to your cats collar, powered by a small battery I believe. Available from most good pet stores as they say.

Ref cat murders (?) we intend to move onto a narrowboat next year with our cat. But hey, all you vermin lovers, all our cat does is sleep all day, so no threat to moving wildlife.

I'm more of a dog person but I'm out too much so it wouldn't be fair to keep one. What are cats like to have on boats? I know they're supposed to be clean but do they ever spray where they shouldn't? Do they need to be trained to use a tray? Also on the issue of bringing dead rodents and birds inside - do they all do this?

Edited by blackrose

I'm more of a dog person but I'm out too much so it wouldn't be fair to keep one. What are cats like to have on boats? I know they're supposed to be clean but do they ever spray where they shouldn't? Do they need to be trained to use a tray? Also on the issue of bringing dead rodents and birds inside - do they all do this?

We cannot speak for other cats but 'GC' is extremely clean and appears to enjoy boating. We usually moor where we can let him explore safely and he goes off to do his business discretely - usually under a hedge or in some soft earth. If we have to lock him in, he uses his litter tray but always tells us first because he can't do anything if he thinks we are watching!

The only down side to having a cat on board seems to be that, if he gets off, you cannot move the boat until he gets back on. On the few occasions when we have moved the boat while he is ashore, he just waits at the point where he got off until the boat comes back!

As someone else said:

Dogs have owners - cats have servants . . .

'GC' doesn't bother with small birds - the only ones he has ever caught are pigeons and he doesn't really bother with those anymore. He has had a bell fitted to his collar for the last five years so, even if he did fancy the occasional bird, this would probably serve to warn them of his approach!

He does however manage to catch a fair few mice and some rats.

i have a friend that do with one of those

True, but sheep never stalk their prey and spend considerable time "playing" with their unfortunate victim! (Cats know full well that adrenaline helps tenderize the flesh of their victims!).

Sheep will eat because of hunger, cats will kill out of devilment, amusement, entertainment and pure cruelty!

Our cat is more a passive hunter. She tends to sunbath until someting has the misfortune to walk past. I suspect that ploy is to circumvent the bell on her collar.

On the plus side? she keeps them alive, brings them in, and lets them go <_<

Somewhere on Waterscape there was something about the increase in watervoles on the K&A, must be because we are on the GU now, although BW are having to plug alot more holes in the banks.

Simon.

They try - we now check for cat moustaches before we let 'em in..

If you have 'em done, they don't spray. Ours are very clean.

They can be just as high maintenance as a dog, but they can be left, don't seem

to get bored and are good company, particularly if you live on your own on the boat.

Read our earlier comments about roads and we recommend hanging a milk crate or similar over

the side to facilitate self rescue if they go overboard.

Now, I ain't condoning murder, but......

If there is an abundance, it don't matter so much if a cat has the odd one does it?! That is just how cats are made.

Anyway, my cat only has great big things like pigeon, blackbirds and starlings, she don't go for small fry!

Glad I'm not the only one with an ambitious cat ... I saw FluffyPsycho stalking a swan last week. On the plus side, it wouldn't fit in though the catflap.

I've got a cat that's 12 years old. He initially used a tray when a kitten with no training at all.

The only time he did anything in the house was one night when a door blew shut in high winds and he couldn't get to his catflap. He did try to get me up by miaowing but I ignored him and he peed on the bathmat then folded it over afterwards, as I discovered next morning.

He does bring rodents in though. Usually he eats them himself but sometimes they are for me.

I don't take him boating as my neighbours feed him and my chickens when I'm away.

I don't think he'd like the noise and disruption.

I have seen cats fall in. They swim like lightening. Definately more than 4 mph.

I've got a cat that's 12 years old. He initially used a tray when a kitten with no training at all.

The only time he did anything in the house was one night when a door blew shut in high winds and he couldn't get to his catflap. He did try to get me up by miaowing but I ignored him and he peed on the bathmat then folded it over afterwards, as I discovered next morning.

Yeh, my cat has only done it in the house twice, when she's been locked her in all day and night and I've been home late from work. And then, she does it in the shower cubicle, as if she knows it is easy to clean for me!! Quick rinse around, and it's gone!

I can't imagine a better pet to have for my lifestyle, loving, clean, good company, low maintenance and independant!