"Stunning Replica Dutch Barge"

Tomska

Featured Posts

I've never been a great fan of replica Dutch barges as they usually don't seem to have the same character as the old ones (and the steel always looks too flimsy), but of all the boats I saw in Amsterdam during our trip last week, this replica tjalk absolutely knocked my eye out. The finish on every bit of it was stunning and they haven't skimped on the steel either. Check it out...

ha3jq7.jpg

No offence to those with copies, btw

Oh absolutely. I wouldn't want a Lux copy myself (nor a wide-beam "narrow"boat), but I understand how they can be the right decision for many people and the living space on them can be great.

But this replica really wowed me - I've seen nothing else like her.

We had to pass her every day on the way from the boat we were staying on (a massive old cargo boat - a Stielsteven or a Spitz, I think) into town. The attention to detail and the quality of the finish is really something.

Edited by Tomska

I've never been a great fan of replica Dutch barges as they usually don't seem to have the same character as the old ones (and the steel always looks too flimsy), but of all the boats I saw in Amsterdam during our trip last week, this replica tjalk absolutely knocked my eye out. The finish on every bit of it was stunning and they haven't skimped on the steel either. Check it out...

The lines of replicas are getting better and although they may look flimsy, in most cases you'll find they're made of thicker steel than originals which is why they've always had trouble getting the lines right. Of course that doesn't necessarily make them stronger that originals as that would depend on scantling spacings and other factors. I agree that some of the replica Luxemotors look naff, but last summer on the Thames I saw some great looking new build barges. Personally my favourites are not necessarily copies of anything, but are loosely based on various barges. Original barges don't always make ideal liveaboards and unlike the one you've shown us, most true replicas don't end up looking like the originals anyway.

Edited by blackrose

The lines of replicas are getting better and although they may look flimsy, in most cases you'll find they're made of thicker steel than originals which is why they've always had trouble getting the lines right. Of course that doesn't necessarily make them stronger that originals as that would depend on scantling spacings and other factors. I agree that some of the replica Luxemotors look naff, but last summer on the Thames I saw some great looking new build barges. Personally my favourites are not necessarily copies of anything, but are loosely based on various barges. Original barges don't always make ideal liveaboards and unlike the one you've shown us, most true replicas don't end up looking like the originals anyway.

Beautiful is the right word for a boat like that, I'm proud to be Dutch when I see something like this, even if it wasn't me who built her. This type of boat is named "Lemsteraak", and they used to be fishing vessels.

This replica is surely well built, and has really pleasing lines, and the inside is quite likely to be gorgeous as well, I love to see boats like this one, but don't like to live on one, as the only way to see out is by sitting outside, so if the weather is not nice enough to sit outside, you can only look at the sky.

Agreed looks very nice would like to see the interior. One day perhaps more narrowboat builders will take the trouble to produce better looking hulls based on the many working boats designs

Charles

Sadly (or maybe not?) the really nice hulls will only be produced by a few builders because only the minority are able (or willing) to pay the extra for the level of craftmanship required.

Apart from anything else, Charles, if all modern boats had as nice lines as yours, it would reduce the (pleasurable) impact, when a fine looking boat comes through the bridgehole.

One of the pleasures of living aboard was to hear a vintage engine coming, and waiting to see what boat appears.

One day perhaps more narrowboat builders will take the trouble to produce better looking hulls based on the many working boats designs.

I know what you mean.

- If nothing else, in my minds eye, it would be very nice to see a whole fleat of workingboats moored in a layby on a cold morning, stoves in , still air, just ready for the off.

However, inreality, that will allways be but a dream, and something to watch old cine footage of.

Emilyanne will do as a boat for now, not that im not very content with her, but will always have to dream.

- Maybe one day i will have to travel back in time, scoop myself a nice working pair, and bring them back to the future for my retairment!

Daniel

I Googled and managed to turn her up on a broker's website who has shots of the interior. They've made great use of not much space and painted it bright to keep it as light as possible. Wouldn't want to live on her for long, but she is a beauty...

http://www.dirkblom.nl/index-main.asp?file=/brokerage.asp

For living on I think your better off with a motor barge rather than a sailing barge because coachroofs are often higher, and size for size motor barges are often a bit more spacious inside. Unless you're a sailing barge enthusiast, I'm not quite sure what the point of a sailing barge is? Apparently they don't sail particularly well. I once showed a French friend and accomplished sailor, a sailing barge that I was interested in buying. He looked alarmed when I said she was capable of coastal sailing. "Capable perhaps, but I wouldn't take her to sea!" So if you're into sailing then why not just buy a sailing boat?

Edited by blackrose

For living on I think your better off with a motor barge rather than a sailing barge because coachroofs are often higher, and size for size motor barges are often a bit more spacious inside. Unless you're a sailing barge enthusiast, I'm not quite sure what the point of a sailing barge is? Apparently they don't sail particularly well. I once showed a French friend and accomplished sailor, a sailing barge that I was interested in buying. He looked alarmed when I said she was capable of coastal sailing. "Capable perhaps, but I wouldn't take her to sea!" So if you're into sailing then why not just buy a sailing boat?

The first Dutch motor barges where sailing barges, Tjalk,Klipper(aak) Stijlsteven to name just a few, that they motorised, after a start with motorising their rowboats, that were used as pushers, or an engine on the front deck, that was driving a propellorshaft, hanging over the side, that had a clutch, and only forward and neutral. In the beginning they kept their sails, but reduced those more and more, until they were familiar with their engines. Space wise, on sailing barges of the same size as motor barges the useful space inside should not be different. If an apperently accomplished sailor wouldn't take one to sea, because they don't sail well, he should go to Holland a couple of times, to enjoy the sight of those barges racing, and he will change his mind about them. this man is most likely a sailor that only sailed yachts, and has never been on a sailing barge. I used to own a bigger version of a Tjalk, built in 1897 that was used for the Baltic trade, when times were hard, they were called "Oostzee Tjalk", and if a barge of that age survived under those rough conditions, that proves that they were more then capable of "coastal" sailing. By the way, this old barge that once was mine, is still going strong, and is now trading as hotel-motorbarge, around Venice (Italy).

The first Dutch motor barges where sailing barges, Tjalk,Klipper(aak) Stijlsteven to name just a few, that they motorised, after a start with motorising their rowboats, that were used as pushers, or an engine on the front deck, that was driving a propellorshaft, hanging over the side, that had a clutch, and only forward and neutral. In the beginning they kept their sails, but reduced those more and more, until they were familiar with their engines. Space wise, on sailing barges of the same size as motor barges the useful space inside should not be different.

Some barges were converted and kept their sails, others didn't, and some changed to motor later and lost their sails, but since the superstructures were never part of the original barge of course the designs were different. Coachroof heights could be different for starters, because in any conversion superstructures on sailing barges were often built lower to accommodate the mast.

If an apperently accomplished sailor wouldn't take one to sea, because they don't sail well, he should go to Holland a couple of times, to enjoy the sight of those barges racing, and he will change his mind about them. this man is most likely a sailor that only sailed yachts, and has never been on a sailing barge.

Perhaps, but by the same token these sailing barge enthusiasts may not have ever been on a sailing boat? My friend was looking from the standpoint of hydrodynamics and you can't argue that a proper sailing boat sails better than barge.

Edited by blackrose

Coachroof heights could be different for starters, because in any conversion superstructures on sailing barges are often built lower to accommodate the mast.

Perhaps, but by the same token these sailing barge enthusiasts may not have ever been on a sailing boat? My friend was looking from the standpoint of hydrodynamics and you can't argue that a proper sailing boat sails better than barge.

Proper sailing boat?

May I respectfully point out that there are sailing barges well in excess of a hundred years old still having an awful battle with their hydrodynamics.

Those Dutch 'enthusiasts' who have lived, breathed and worked the waterways in and around Holland for over a century really must have got something right in the design and build department.

I suggest that direct comparison is tricky. The old barge and modern yacht are / were built in a different age for a different purpose using different materials for a different market at a different price.

I know which one I'd rather have.

Proper sailing boat?

May I respectfully point out that there are sailing barges well in excess of a hundred years old still having an awful battle with their hydrodynamics.

Those Dutch 'enthusiasts' who have lived, breathed and worked the waterways in and around Holland for over a century really must have got something right in the design and build department.

I suggest that direct comparison is tricky. The old barge and modern yacht are / were built in a different age for a different purpose using different materials for a different market at a different price.

I know which one I'd rather have.

Proper sailing boat in terms of the fact that's what they were primarily designed for. The primary function of a barge was to transport goods & commodities. I wasn't trying to compare anything but sailing performance and although I don't know much about sailing, I do know there's no way a Dutch sailing barge could compete in terms of performance with a modern sailing boat or yacht. Of course I'd rather have a barge than a sailing boat too - but my original point was that when converted, superstructures on motor barges were often slightly larger than sailing barges (which had to accommodate masts) - making them roomier & more practical liveaboards.

Edited by blackrose

Is it just me or do those interior shots not match up? I can't seem to find the big window with a view out anywhere on the outside but look at the galley photo...

What am I missing here folks?

Morning all. The window is in the 4th foto from the top. Hope to have been of help.

Is it just me or do those interior shots not match up? I can't seem to find the big window with a view out anywhere on the outside but look at the galley photo...

What am I missing here folks?

The window picture with the galley is at the rear end of the accomodation looking into the cockpit.

Proper sailing boat in terms of the fact that's what they were primarily designed for. The primary function of a barge was to transport goods & commodities. I wasn't trying to compare anything but sailing performance and although I don't know much about sailing, I do know there's no way a Dutch sailing barge could compete in terms of performance with a modern sailing boat or yacht. Of course I'd rather have a barge than a sailing boat too - but my original point was that when converted, superstructures on motor barges were often slightly larger than sailing barges (which had to accommodate masts) - making them roomier & more practical liveaboards.

Of course, one can only compare boats/barges that are comparable, and for me, I would not have any difficulty making my choice, you guessed right, it would definetly be a barge. In the case of the smaller size converted sailing barges, you are absolutely right, they are less spacious because of the mast accomodation, but on the bigger versions there's no, or very little difference.

Of course, one can only compare boats/barges that are comparable, and for me, I would not have any difficulty making my choice, you guessed right, it would definetly be a barge. In the case of the smaller size converted sailing barges, you are absolutely right, they are less spacious because of the mast accomodation, but on the bigger versions there's no, or very little difference.

Ok, but the barge that began this discussion looks relatively small to me. Barges > than 20m aren't really suitable for UK waterways.

There are hundreds of these lemsteraak's around Holland and Belgium and plenty which are original. The owners take great pride in their apperance with plenty of wood carvings and other adornments.

They always attend the festivals in big numbers and can often be seen brested up to the pontoons 5 or 6 deep.

They also appear to sail rather well with the aid of their seemingly oversized Lee or Sword Boards and thats with just the 2 crew.

Ok, but the barge that began this discussion looks relatively small to me. Barges > than 20m aren't really suitable for UK waterways.

Being only 13meters (a bit less then 43'), she is relatively short for sure, and for her lenght relatively wide 4m80 o.a. which is more then twice as wide as a NB. You are right about the bigger barges not being suitable for the UK waterways, but they can be used where barges like Thames barges can go. The size is something that I don't think and worry about too much, being on the other side of the Channel, where most of the inland waterways have no problem with the bigger size barges, and they allowed me to go with my barge from Amsterdam via the inland waterways, all the way to Toulouse, on the Canal du Midi.