Knots for fender hooks.

Mark R

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, Momac said:

Round turn and two half hitches

This can be adapted if you will want to adjust or un-hitch frequently by putting the second hitch tail end to form a a loop, the tail end will then be released with a quick tug, it's not as secure, but if you then put the tail end back thru the loop it will be fine. Sounds a bit of a faff, but it is handy on occasion.

Is HDPE easy to work? Can it be machined easily or does it melt? Only ask as the hangers i made are starting to delaminate after two years of service despite being well painted and i was thinking of using a different material once the spares have been used up.

Pics for reference, i know the one showing how they tie-on isn't the best but it's all i could find.

2022-03-30_18-23-35_923.jpeg

2022-03-30_18-23-35_923a.jpg

5 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Is HDPE easy to work? Can it be machined easily or does it melt? Only ask as the hangers i made are starting to delaminate after two years of service despite being well painted and i was thinking of using a different material once the spares have been used up.

Pics for reference, i know the one showing how they tie-on isn't the best but it's all i could find.

2022-03-30_18-23-35_923.jpeg

2022-03-30_18-23-35_923a.jpg

Mine are made of wood. Hardly get used though 

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Mine are made of wood. Hardly get used though 

Being a much-maligned marina moorer, ours get a lot of weather :D 

Lost one to one of the storms in the marina last year, vanished like an old oak table, fender and all.

Then J snapped one last year using it to pull the boat in for some reason (she did once pull an oven door off too, doesn't know her own strength).

HDPE can be cut with a saw and drilled much like wood can just take it easy. I used a jigsaw to cut my fender hangers. Never had a problem with it melting.  My hangers were two pieces bolted together  as I only had 10mm thick HDPE. A deburring tool is essential to get rid of the sharp edges.

14 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

HDPE can be cut with a saw and drilled much like wood can just take it easy. I used a jigsaw to cut my fender hangers. Never had a problem with it melting.  My hangers were two pieces bolted together  as I only had 10mm thick HDPE. A deburring tool is essential to get rid of the sharp edges.

A slower speed on the router then maybe? Might have a look for a bit and have a test.

18 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

A slower speed on the router then maybe? Might have a look for a bit and have a test.

The CNC machine at work cut it fine using a router type thing not sure what speed it ran at.

8 hours ago, Tonka said:

Are you actually saying that you do the full round turn as depending on the rope size I doubt with that eye you will get a full round in, and you do a half round and half hitches

No I wasn't saying that. Most people use the term round turn & two half hitches generically whether they're using a half turn or a full turn. I am one of those less pedantic people.

Also I don't have the same fender hooks as the OP so I don't have to pass my rope through his fender hook eye! 😉

My fender hooks are also made pf plastic but given the choice I'd have ply as they're stronger.

I know they only have to take the weight of a fender but occasionally the fender gets trapped between the boat and concrete and doesn't lift, then as the boat moves it can put strain on the rope. I've had one of my plastic fender hooks snap before.

Edited by blackrose