How to chose a new starter battery?

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, pedroinlondon said:

I'm trying to find a starter battery of 700CCA or above with nut terminals but cannot...

I can only find with I think it's called "standard posts" which are smooth and unthreaded.

Can anyone confirm that the BBS rules require that the batteries are threaded and adaptors are not allowed, or was I wrongly advised?

Example: https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx5110/

There is no restriction on using threaded posts with nuts or the traditional tapered lead posts either. Lugs with nuts and bolts are also perfectly OK.

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I would suggest you are wrongly advised, what you can't use is these  

image.png.6db879de47f0e12f9dd2873b034077aa.png

I am not sure that is correct. The ILLUSTRATED one uses screws to clamp the cable into the fitting. The better type that definitely are compliant are those with a stud where the two screws are.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSN2ZTO9QBEA_11KLTDN

Edited by Tony Brooks

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am not sure that is correct. The ILLUSTRATED one uses screws to clamp the cable into the fitting. The better type that definitely are compliant are those with a stud where the two screws are.

I did say CAN'T use

To be clear, tapered posts are fine but the clamp connectors must have a threaded stud with nut to take a crimped on cable lug, the nasty one illustrated with pressure screws onto the caple are not OK  Solidly soldered cable into the connectors as are generally on made up battery cables are also OK.

18 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I would suggest you are wrongly advised, what you can't use is these  

image.png.6db879de47f0e12f9dd2873b034077aa.png

I undestand. Those are for the "standard posts" which are smooth and unthreaded. To avoid them and use cables with ring terminals I need a battery with threaded posts, or am I missing an alternative?

18 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

To be clear, tapered posts are fine but the clamp connectors must have a threaded stud with nut to take a crimped on cable lug, the nasty one illustrated with pressure screws onto the caple are not OK  Solidly soldered cable into the connectors as are generally on made up battery cables are also OK.

Sorry Tracy,which connectors are you referring to? Some kind of adapter from standard to threaded posts?
Thanks

7 minutes ago, pedroinlondon said:

I undestand. Those are for the "standard posts" which are smooth and unthreaded. To avoid them and use cables with ring terminals I need a battery with threaded posts, or am I missing an alternative?

Sorry Tracy,which connectors are you referring to? Some kind of adapter from standard to threaded posts?
Thanks

These? https://www.amazon.co.uk/QAQGEAR-Terminal-Compatible-243407F000-243407F001/dp/B09HGM7755/ref=asc_df_B09HGM7755/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=641694953744&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17341636290188347663&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046035&hvtargid=pla-1719653223826&psc=1&mcid=16818ffc281c3b4aae07173f68977dec

31 minutes ago, pedroinlondon said:

Thanks

These? https://www.amazon.co.uk/QAQGEAR-Terminal-Compatible-243407F000-243407F001/dp/B09HGM7755/ref=asc_df_B09HGM7755/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=641694953744&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17341636290188347663&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046035&hvtargid=pla-1719653223826&psc=1&mcid=16818ffc281c3b4aae07173f68977dec

Not really,  these are what everybody uses     https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/156142610396?

46 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Apparently the terminals are made from galvanised copper, then a bit latter they say tinned copper. No wonder I have little trust in Amazon sellers.

And also "plastic shell, which is rust-proof" You can't go wrong with rust-proof plastic 😬

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Not really,  these are what everybody uses     https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/156142610396?

Thanks!!

12 minutes ago, pedroinlondon said:

And also "plastic shell, which is rust-proof" You can't go wrong with rust-proof plastic
😬

That as well. Must be very special highly conductive plastic - not.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

That as well. Must be very special highly conductive plastic - not.

We used to manufacture conductive nylon clips for Ford.

The problem was that when used with conventional plastic clips the brake or fuel pipes were isolated from the body / floor pan of the vehicle. The flow of fuel generated static electricity which could not earth until it reached a high enough charge to 'jump' to the floor pan.

This arcing caused pin holes in the fuel pipes leading to complete failure and potential fire as the fuel leaked away.

The use of electrically conductive Nylon meant that the static electricity could 'earth' thru the clips before it became a 'high enough' charge to cause arcing.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We used to manufacture conductive nylon clips for Ford.

The problem was that when used with conventional plastic clips the brake or fuel pipes were isolated from the body / floor pan of the vehicle. The flow of fuel generated static electricity which could not earth until it reached a high enough charge to 'jump' to the floor pan.

This arcing caused pin holes in the fuel pipes leading to complete failure and potential fire as the fuel leaked away.

The use of electrically conductive Nylon meant that the static electricity could 'earth' thru the clips before it became a 'high enough' charge to cause arcing.

I don't doubt it, but very much doubt the clamps in question were like that. I bet Ford used ordinary plastic clips until the risk of compensation claims made the extra expense of the conductive ones worthwhile.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

I don't doubt it, but very much doubt the clamps in question were like that. I bet Ford used ordinary plastic clips until the risk of compensation claims made the extra expense of the conductive ones worthwhile.

Indeed but on another 'fire risk' problem they decided that it was cheaper to pay compensation for the deaths of the relatively small number of drivers likely to be affected than it was to fund a total recall - It's all about money !