Hurricane sch25 heater

ritchie12372

Featured Posts

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and boating and could do with some advice.

I bought a hurricane sch25 from Calcutta boats about 3 years ago and can't find anybody to fit it.

I can't take my boat to Calcutta and they won't come out and fit it or help.

Does anybody know anyone in the east midlands that could help.

I've moved onto the boat recently while im still fitting it out and it has been pretty cold. I have very limited knowledge when it comes to heating so I can't figure it out myself.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

41 minutes ago, ritchie12372 said:

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and boating and could do with some advice.

I bought a hurricane sch25 from Calcutta boats about 3 years ago and can't find anybody to fit it.

I can't take my boat to Calcutta and they won't come out and fit it or help.

Does anybody know anyone in the east midlands that could help.

I've moved onto the boat recently while im still fitting it out and it has been pretty cold. I have very limited knowledge when it comes to heating so I can't figure it out myself.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

I think it is a water type heater, so have you fitted your radiators and calorifier yet. That will be the biggest job.

Hi Tony, yes rads and calorifier are fitted. I'm struggling with the manual on aspects like: do I need a separate pump, how do I fill the system, electrics and expansion tank and header. Also how to connect to engine. I've never done anything like this before so have little confidence and little knowledge

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's a fair comment as its 4,972 miles from Nottingham to Calcutta, no wonder you are looking for someone nearer 'home'.

Good luck.

Good swipe, well done. May you never mis type anything

• Greenie 1

Have you already got a wet system with pipework and rads or do you need the whole heating system fitting? If you have a system then replacing whatever boiler you have with the Hurricane is an easy fix to replace say a webasto or similar. Anyone who has fitted webasto system etc will be able to fit the whole shooting match. I found calcutt very helpful when I had any problems and they used to service mine, I just used to take it over to them in the car.

I had someone come and fit the heater in the engine bay and connect it to the calorifier. They then ran pipes just inside the boat and then never came back? I then ran the pipes around the boat and fitted radiators. That is as far as I am able to go with my limited knowledge and am not sure how to finish it. I've looked at the manual but to be honest I don't have a clue. 

I spoke with someone at Calcutt but they won't come out and because it's a wide beam I can't cruise down to them and I can't afford to have the boat transported to them to get it done. I asked if they knew anyone who could help but they were unable to recommend anyone. I've rang loads of company's but nobody either wants to come and do it,or they say they don't fit hurricane heaters. So im kind of stuck not knowing what to do.

Hi Tony, I've looked at the manual but im still not sure and don't want to mess it up

Hi Tony, when I spoke with calcutt there was no mention of an additional pump. What type of pump would I need and where would I fit it in the system? There is no expansion tank,so which type would I need and again, where in the system would be best to fit it?

I can only work from what I find on the internet

https://calcuttboats.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Hurricane-SCH25-Manual.pdf

is for your heater. Yes it does have an external water pump by the look of it and if you did not buy a fitting kit Calcutt should be able to either to supply or advise on what to buy. It seems to be wired to a connector block on or in the heater.

As long a sit is large enough, I think any header tank will do, although the diagrams suggest the Hurricane MIGHT have a pressure cap, but I suspect an open vented tank will do as long as you never fully fill it right up and ensure either it has an overflow or enough headroom to take the liquid that will expand when heated.

The diagrams show how to connect it to your system.

Hi Tony, I bought a complete kit from calcutt. That is why I am confused as to whether it needed a separate pump as I didn't get 1 with it. I know there is a pump fitted inside the heater so I assumed that would be sufficient. The same with the expansion tank,I didn't get 1 with the kit,just a header tank.

Thank you and everyone for the responses.

I think I need to talk to calcutt again to try and clarify things.

8 minutes ago, ritchie12372 said:

Hi Tony, I bought a complete kit from calcutt. That is why I am confused as to whether it needed a separate pump as I didn't get 1 with it. I know there is a pump fitted inside the heater so I assumed that would be sufficient. The same with the expansion tank,I didn't get 1 with the kit,just a header tank.

If you are sure the internal pump is the "water" and not a fuel pump or combustion air pump, then it seems that you have all you need.

Sorry I ment overflow bottle as pictured in the manualHi Tony, I bought a complete kit from calcutt. That is why I am confused as to whether it needed a separate pump as I didn't get 1 with it. I know there is a pump fitted inside the heater so I assumed that would be sufficient. The same with the expansion tank,I didn't get 1 with the kit,just a header tank.

The fuel as far as I can tell is gravity fed. As for combustion pump I have no idea. My replys are being combined for some reason so may not be clear. Sorry for this. 

16 minutes ago, ritchie12372 said:

Sorry I ment overflow bottle as pictured in the manualHi Tony, I bought a complete kit from calcutt. That is why I am confused as to whether it needed a separate pump as I didn't get 1 with it. I know there is a pump fitted inside the heater so I assumed that would be sufficient. The same with the expansion tank,I didn't get 1 with the kit,just a header tank.

The fuel as far as I can tell is gravity fed. As for combustion pump I have no idea. My replys are being combined for some reason so may not be clear. Sorry for this. 

This is a Canadian product so things may be called something a little different from what we use in the UK, so I had to make sure you had not seen something that you took to be a "water" pump, but in reality it was something different.

The burner will need a forced air supply as I understand it, so there must be an air blower and as the fuel delivered needs metering I think there must be a fuel pump. I expect them to all be internal.

If you post a photo of exactly what you have in respect of the expansion tank and/or header tank with some   means of scaling it we can suggest if it will be sufficient.

If Calcutt aren't willing to fit it I'm surprised they aren't able to recommend someone who can. They sold you the kit after all. 

Who was the "someone" who started the job and then never came back and were they recommended by Calcutt? If so I think they have some responsibility here - perhaps not legal, but certainly moral. Who have you spoken to at Calcutt? Personally I'd be talking to them about bringing the kit back for a refund and buying a Webasto Thermotop (from a different supplier) which is supported by lots of people who know how to fit them. 

Also you've said you're cold. Don't you have any other form of heating? No solid fuel stove for example? I know the Hurricane is meant to be reliable, but none of these diesel heaters should be relied upon as one's sole form of heating, especially as a liveaboard if that's what you are. Generally people have a solid fuel stove as their main form of heating which is alight all the time over winter and if they have an Eberspacher, Webasto, Mikuni, Hurricane, etc, it's used for auxiliary heating and for heating water.

Edited by blackrose

9 hours ago, ritchie12372 said:

Thank you Tony, I'm at my partner's at the minute so I won't be able to send a pic until tomorrow. I think it is 1.5 litre open tank but will confirm tomorrow.

Depending upon how many rads you have and the pipe runs (those define the volume of "water" the system needs) I think that will be large enough, it seems larger than the one that the upright Aldes use. However, make sure it has an overflow and when cold there may only be a very few inches of liquid in the bottom, It would be fuller when hot.