West London council agrees to evict ‘megaboats’ from harbour

Featured Posts

Chelsea Reach is located to the west of Battersea Bridge, on the northern edge of the River Thames

A West London council has agreed to issue an eviction notice for three ‘megaboats’ in Chelsea Reach harbour. Kensington and Chelsea councillors voted unanimously to throw out the one, two and three-bedroom homes, overruling their own officers who claimed there were no grounds for eviction.

Instructing council officers at a planning committee meeting last night (February 27), chair James Husband said the boats blocked views of the River Thames along Cheyne Walk and should be removed. He also said the megaboats gave a “sense of enclosure” for neighbouring houseboats and would change the outlook of the River.

The public gallery erupted in fury when one council officer said the houseboats may be given up to nine months to leave. The meeting became heated when a representative for the luxury boats spoke. The crowd interrupted and tutted when the Savills planning director said his client had attempted to address residents’ concerns.

More here ...................

West London council agrees to evict ‘megaboats’ from harbour (msn.com)

And even more here...

https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-london-news/chelsea-houseboats-london-mooring-fees-28364375

Looks like a dispute between both house residents and long-term boatowners and the owners of three huge new boats that are basically being accused of being a blot on the landscape -- and also a dispute between boaters and the Chelsea Yacht and Boat Company whose new owners (since 2016) are trying to massively jack up mooring fees (by up to 10x -- makes CART look dirt cheap...) but say the boats are legit, and Kensington and Chelsea Council whose planning committee (backing houseowners and some boaters) has said the massive boats have to go.

Hmm, huge new boats causing ructions with pre-existing smaller boaters -- who'd have thought it? 😉

That is a monster. Where on earth are they going to put it if it gets evicted? It must have cost an incredible amount, and been bought in good faith, despite being a complete eyesore. 

On reflection - there's plenty of room further east, but I suspect the owners bought Chelsea not Rotherhithe marsh. 

16 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

That is a monster. Where on earth are they going to put it if it gets evicted? It must have cost an incredible amount, and been bought in good faith, despite being a complete eyesore. 

On reflection - there's plenty of room further east, but I suspect the owners bought Chelsea not Rotherhithe marsh. 

It's probably even bigger (longer) than it looks, since internally it's two "family-size flats"...

Which means it's presumably owned by a company (maybe the Chelsea Yacht and Boat company?) and rented out for a fortune, not owned by the liveaboards. Which would explain why CYBC are so keen to keep them there, presumably so they can also put more there in the future as they squeeze more of the "real" boaters out... 😉

There was an episide of Grand Designs a few years ago with a bloke turning a fairly sizeable boat into a giant monstrosity. Only time I've seen Kevin Thing sneer at a build, and it's never been repeated, but I remember it got evicted from its mooring, found nowhere would take it and wound up as a pile of scrap.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

but I remember it got evicted from its mooring, found nowhere would take it and wound up as a pile of scrap.

If it was the same one, I think he headed off towards the South Coast - a wave hit it, it broke and was washed up on the shore, I think Grand Designs re-visited it briefly in a later programme.

7 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There was an episide of Grand Designs a few years ago with a bloke turning a fairly sizeable boat into a giant monstrosity. Only time I've seen Kevin Thing sneer at a build, and it's never been repeated, but I remember it got evicted from its mooring, found nowhere would take it and wound up as a pile of scrap.

Used all second hand windows etc. no plans he just worked round what he could find

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If it was the same one, I think he headed off towards the South Coast - a wave hit it, it broke and was washed up on the shore, I think Grand Designs re-visited it briefly in a later programme.

It seems the boat's future may be looking better though.

"AN abandoned eco barge is being given a much-needed boost by its new owners.

The Medway Eco Barge featured on TV show Grand Designs 14 years ago, and was soon crowned one of the worst projects ever featured by viewers.

But now it has new owners who have taken on the formerly abandoned boat.

Owners Sarah Burch and her husband hope it will become a “beautiful addition” to Burnham when it arrives at Priors Boatyard this month."

https://www.maldonandburnhamstandard.co.uk/news/19597420.burnham-couple-restore-barge-grand-designs-fame/

That report was in 2021 so I don't know what has happened since.