National Rally table glasses

Featured Posts

Photo attached - I thought these might be of interest. Souvenir glasses from the 1965, 66 and 68 national rallies at Burnley, Marple and Liverpool respectively. Also a jug from Marple. 

I was at the 1966 rally as a babe in arms, obviously I don't remember this! I think Magpie the Elder was on the NW IWA committee in the 60s. 

Did any other rallies have such memorabilia or was it a NW thing? And was Marple the only one to have jugs? 

Plus (dare I ask?) any other canal commemorative glassware out there?

20240225_204627.jpg

20240225_204722.jpg

5 hours ago, John Brightley said:

I have this mug from the 1982 Titford Two national rally, but haven't seen any of those glasses before. I guess they must be quite rare.

IMG_20240227_152414581_HDR.thumb.jpg.aa6683399ce8ab0f4361d14bb4e69b47.jpg

I saw your Pic and thought "I've got one of those somewhere", however whilst the mug has a pretty identical shape, the design on the side is different - whilst the bottom still says "Titford Two" the upper text reads "National Waterways Rally" , there is the IWA logo centrally with 1982 below it and what could be a small version of the bird standing on an half moon with the BCN on it above, because of the reduced size the detail has been lost.

image.thumb.jpeg.49ba6026b8da83a51e1d2ebb530050f9.jpeg

springy

• 2 weeks later...

THe 1965 IWA rallies I believe these were for the 72 ft narrow boats who rallied at Haskayne , rather than on the  62 ft length, Interestingly there were 3 other sites, Botany Bay at Chorley. the main site at Blackburn and on the embankment at  Burnley  The idea being to promote Leisure cruising at more than a single site  

Edited by Ogwr

2 minutes ago, Ogwr said:

I believe these were for the 72 ft narrow boats who rallied at Haskayne , rather than on the  62 ft length, Interestingly there were 3 other sites, Botany Bay at Chorley. the main site at Blackburn and o the embankment at  Burnley    

Thank you! I'd forgotten that 65 was at Burnley not Liverpool (which I think was 68?) and didn't know there had been satellite sites 

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/03/2024 at 07:30, magpie patrick said:

Thank you! I'd forgotten that 65 was at Burnley not Liverpool (which I think was 68?) and didn't know there had been satellite sites 

Liverpool was indeed in 1968 at the Stanley Docks branch. I was a volunteer at that event in the communications marquee, long days and short nights. Also attended the Marple one in 1966 as a member of the Peak Forest Canal Society doing bits and peices around the rally site. Don't remember any of the rally glasses although at that time the only glasses I was interested in contained beer.

Edited by jam